• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The Deeperblue.net Gun Building Extravaganza

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Which gun would you like to see built

• Total voters
Hmmm...personally I would vote for Teak (tried and tested and lasts!),
I don't know much about wood but teak does seem to be the wood of choice for a lot of marine applications, including spearguns. Isn't there a sustainability issue with a lot of hardwoods (the destruction of the Amazon & deforestation of Indonesia, for example)? [I bought a cedar garden set when I lived near Seattle because the whole area is a giant conifer forest and lumber is an important local industry, only to find out later than it was made in Indonesia I guess we can but try]. You're welcome to beech from the garden, if you can handle it that raw.

The gun will be built by an experienced craftsman but it wont be built in Guernsey.
Not in Guernsey? :hmmWill it be made in

Last edited by a moderator:
No GITS in Wales This is a local shop.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOGAAlHzF4o]YouTube - Tubbs And Edward - League of Gentlemen[/ame]

OK how about some clarification/catagorization I for one have some mixed interpretation of:
1) Hybrid- as I know it is not necessarily the titanium or carbon tubes with the wood backend but rather a mix of the American midhandle with the Euro front...in other words it need not be tit or carbon, but rather all wood too and still be a hybrid
2) Mid vs rear vs Euro...12" from the trig is that a rear (I'd call it that) or is that a mid? 6" from the trig is that Euro or is that rear.
3) 3" from the trig Euro?

I'm bringing this up since more than once I've read or heard someone call one gun very different than the person next to them.

From what ive seen id be happy to know your building the gun

I think the functionality of the gun should first be decided.

1. Is it to be a workhorse or more of a decorative piece?
2. What kind of environment will it be built to preform in?

Since I prefer a workhorse for myself at the moment. Things I consider is how well it swings, accuracy, recoil and loading.

I would prefer a fast swinging, fast reloading, and accurate gun. So my setup would be a high density 16 mm band such as dessaults with 6.5 mm shaft with the gun length above 90 cm.

I believe this project would be more fun with a wood gun and they seem to preform best at about 90 cm and above otherwise the production railguns outperform them in their ability to swing while still being accurate.

Things to consider about wood in my opinion is their density before we worry about their looks. If we go with a one band setup then we can use a lower density wood for faster swing but if we choose to go for a more powerful setup we should consider a higher density wood to help absorb the recoil therefore helping to improve accuracy.

What are your opinions?

I think it should be made of laminated hardwoods.
We do it for gun stocks to reduce the flex of solidwood riflestocks. The same would make sense here. It also means that there will be fewer imperfections in the wood that create weakspots.

As far as wood choice... Ironwood? A good bit of Lignum vitae would be nice, hardest wood there is.
Purpleheart is always a nice looker.

Are we going to get this going again? Shame to have it lying on the Gits workbench waiting to be finished

Reactions: podge
Yeah.

Save me going through the thread can someone win it?

:thankyou

Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm new here Paster but enjoy reading your informative posts.
All the best, Don Paul

Reactions: Pastor
Hi Don, I've been reading your posts with some interest too, I'm honoured you actually read my drivel without laughing. I think we have both been in this game a long time but I must seem like a newcomer with only 35 years of hunting. I had my first experience of blue water hunting last year and it made me realize how little I know, always keen to learn from those with more experience.

Reactions: foxfish
Nothing to do with me, I'm as expectant as you mate although I hear Mr Foxfish is kicking Mr The Git's butt to get going again
Posted via very large antique desktop PC

Guys, there is a rumour in the air that Gits is sharpening his tools but you just cant push this type of craftsman to hard!
Apparently he has upped his hourly rate pasted the £100 mark & deeper blue might have to wait until we can get the funds together.
However I have been in contact with the man (barking mad but a genius) & he is considering other forms of payment!!!!!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…