• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The End Of Aida!!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I don’t agree with Jody’s presentation or with all of his arguments, but I do agree with a few things. I also know there are people out there who don’t post on db, but have similar feelings as him.

My feelings are very much inline with Scott who I felt did an excellent job of communicating them in a non-attacking matter.

Will,
I disagree that this event is or needs to be negative publicity for Stephane Mifsud. The only thing that could in anyway possibly question his honesty is if he purposely held up the official video from reaching AIDA. No one has accused him of that and even if he were responsible, most people would probably relate and forgive him. This is because of what happened with the onsite officials and how the word was spread to the media that the record was good.

There is a saying that people like their heroes a little flawed. Even though the general public probably can’t understand how hard it is to remember things at low O2, they can relate with forgetting simple things. Ever left your car lights on and ran your battery dead? Ever couldn’t find your keys when you were late to an important meeting? Ever done something dumb, like forget one little step, that cancelled out a whole lot of things you had done right? These things make extraordinary people human, like the rest of us. This gives the public a bond to them, which is the foundation for more interest in their achievements.

The fact that his record was taken away for such a simple mistake, the 5 months it took for it to happen, the major disappoint and let down he has experience, is far more news worthy than the breaking of the record. Nothing catches the media attention like Human drama! And if he has another attempt, like Jody said, there could be way more media interest than he ever achieved the first time. People won’t be interested because they question his ethics. It will be because they are pulling for him and if he achieves, it will be a small victory for themselves because he has demonstrated he has something in common with them
Sammy

Sammy well presented, but isn't that all very subjective speculation?

The only thing that could in anyway possibly question his honesty...

It may be just your choice of wording here, but to suggest "the only thing..." in reference to a population of humans, is a huge assumption that does not seem to consider their nature. If you were correct, we could say the following about this thread, "The only thing that Jody could attack in this thread is the discussion at hand, not the person." Alas we see this is not true. Which I believe demonstrates how much confidence we can put into the idea that all people will follow one train of reasoning. The divide in people's opinions towards this thread, in general, is another example.

What am I getting at? Well that everything you have stated to suggest about how the media and sponsor will feel towards the record being disqualified, is pure speculation. On the other hand, is it not expected that companies will be let down after putting time and money into a person who has not achieved the rewards the companies were expecting? Remember this is money on the line for Stephane, the sponsors, and the media! I would not say our world is growing in a diminishing materialistic way! So last time I thought about it, people can be quite rigid when it comes to loss of money or even perceived loss of money in the case of sponsors and media.

So all and all, you may be correct, but every tangible reason points to a disappointment and greater hardship for Stephane. Depending on how he continues to pursue things and depending on luck and depending on the community and the world, YES, Stephane will POSSIBLY be better off for this. But in our ability to predict the future, the more likely immediate effect is negative for him and those that backed him. I don't believe any sponsor, media, or person who has gone through such a situation is about to disagree. But maybe you can find someone...?

Tyler,
Good point. I guess I would have to know all the facts to make such a definite statement, which I don’t. I do feel Stephane can benefit from this though. Hopefully his sponsors can see it too. After all the reason he did not get the record had nothing to do with his greatness as a diver, and if people do relate to him for this event that should increase his ability to sell his sponsors products.
Sammy

Last edited:
Thanks,

To whoever organized the flooding of negative karma to ALL my posts in this thread! I guess it was coincedental that it occurred all at once in the last 15min. The most HILLARIOUS part is that one of you (or just you) actually gave negative karma to my post where I quoted a philosopher! :duh

Thanks for making me laugh out loud! I would give you karma just for that. I have been humbled by your success.

Last edited:
Reactions: jkivi
Thank you also for the flood of negative karma!

I suppose when a person feels frustrated and unable to find counter-arguments, negative karma is the way to go! What better way to admit that you lost the argument.

Thank you for letting me start my day with a laugh!! :)

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Erm, what`s that ok-sign-thing really? I got a bit confused when i read that the judges present at the attempt showed the white card and later decided not knowing if there was an ok sign or not? If not why would they rate the attempt as valid then? If they saw the ok sign needed for that white card how on earth can they forget anything about it again??? There must have been reasons but not in the order offially stated. The statements just don`t get along with one another...

Sad stuff really.

it's obvious that the judges are swamped with the current AIDA rules. Like vultures they stare at the "victim" alias freediver for the slightest sign of twitch or convulsion. Totally stressed by this higly subjective and difficult task they forget about the simple things like the OK sign.

The current rules seem to cause unhappy divers and judges.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT