• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The Guernsey specimen hunt and social 2019

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
No, I don’t agree.
This is Martyn’s event which he goes to so much trouble to organise, unfortunately now for the last time.
I don’t really get how the ‘discussion group’ has come about and not included the guy who runs the event.

Reactions: Spirit
I'm sorry but my vote is NO.

I personally feel we need to go with our hosts opinion, what he has forgotten about Spear fishing in the channel islands we would be very lucky to learn in our lifetime.

Reactions: jerseydan
Ref Mart and Mikes last posts, I do see what Mart is saying, but also think Mikes suggested compromise is a good idea too. Either way I do not mind, im still going to beat Pierre JB anyway :)

Also, having just re-read Mart's last comments, it is indeed a sad day that this is the last DB event. Having been involved in organising the very first one (some 10 or 11 years ago now), the one constant that has remained has been Mart and Sarah's commitment to, not only organising a bunch of hairy-arsed divers to compete over a weekend, but also to organising all the social activities and hosting an amazing final party night. Not to mention the hours of graft that Mart has put in to building amazing prize guns - those will be collectors items one day. Let's make this final one a good one and put our heads together to see if we can come up with something for future years, even if it is away from these forums and on a smaller scale - I will continue to visit Guernsey in August. Cheers everyone and peace - Spaniard.

I need to make a decision.
I don’t hold any bad feeling toward anyone , you are all my friends and I organise this event because I really want to see you guys have fun.
However everybody signed up knowing the rules and I feel making changes at this stage is pretty unfair towards me and others Including our sponsors.

So we will make the compromise and keep the size but measure the total length of the fish.

Good luck to everybody, we have plenty of prizes and at least the weather looks reasonable for Sunday evening!
I really hope the Jersey guys can make it (and our Apnea goodies too) let’s go out with a bang as this will be the last db event of this nature at least.
The gun is almost finished, I took it in the water a few days back, it is not perfectly balanced but close and is a joy to fire!
Unfortunately there is a story that goes with my testing and the super slider spear is now lost in the ocean!
Luckily I have a spare standard spear now fitted and I have closed the crimps this time.:rolleyes:
B1A5114B-4213-4996-99E5-5DA74BBD00E6.jpeg

The Jersey boys have been keeping a close eye on the weather, and are hoping to avoid a repeat of last year. Unfortunately, the forecast is still looking dodgy., but we hope our ferry will sail.....if so, the Jersey boys will be on it ! We are really looking fwd to the meet, and hope to see u all soon

What time is your ferry scheduled for? It looks like the wind arrives around late Friday afternoon .

There is a slight change with the restaurant timings , they would now like our tables back by 8pm.
This is due to the fact that numbers have dropped since we initially booked 6 months back.
Unfortunately a few folk have dropped out so we have gone from 28 to 22 and the restaurant can’t justify keeping our tables all-night.
So if we can get to the Catch as near to 6pm as possible that would be great.
The original time was 6-630 but f we can try to get there by 6 that would be better for us.

Last edited:
I am still messing around with the gun, I have it rigged with three bands at the moment, one long one and two shorter ones.
It seems to work but you need a bit of commitment to load it!
My idea for the line release seems to work so it leaves a very clean look down the barrel.
I have added a few more dings while messing around, I will have to try and sort them out today.
E6A45182-3FB2-4C6B-9D3A-F7FEEB966173.jpeg
0A79FA94-8045-4BB2-BF94-3BED7C210012.jpeg
3EC4A631-76AE-4C98-96AB-1A765B0F0BB3.jpeg

Unfortunately I can’t make it tonight but I’ll keep an eye on here to see what the plan is

Same for me, the Mrs is on the lash tonight, taking advantage before I disappear for the wkd
I’ll keep an eye on updates for tomorrow’s meet

Cheers

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT