• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The hardest fish to spear in the GULF

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

sanadw

Sep 15, 2006
After all these years of spearfishing in this part of the gulf (QATAR)... I was thinking what is the hardest fish to spear:martial ?? what do you think guys ???

I'll start from the easiest:

Greasy Grouper locally known as(HAMUR): no skills needed to shoot this fish ... you can spear it even if your blind!!!! so when you see it in the water you directly count it in your bag and start to think whats next!!! rofl

Porgy (Fuskr): very easy to spear in the reefs, I even remember one day I spear it without shooting I swear!!! by pushing the spear only, allot of times it hides her face between the rocks and all its body out!!!:t

Trevally (jash): now thats a good fish to shoot, the smaller ones are very curious and come close.... but the big ones usually keeps a good distance with a good speed too, but after all ... its not that hard to shoot them, never landed a giant one but its a hell of a fighter.. so be aware.

Great Barracuda (Jid): a hard fish to shoot and it keeps a good to far distance, outstanding fighter if you don't stone it, its strong flesh will keep the spear so make sure to have a reel or a float ... or you will lose your gun for the big ones:rcard

Mullet (biah): this one is harder to shoot and usually it passes very fast with a distance, shooting a fish like that needs an accurate gun with allot of patience.... never managed to shoot one with my older penumatic gun!!:head
finally I stoned it with Omer T20 ... it was like a sweet revenge after all that time :inlove

King Mackerel (tchana'ad): now that a real hard one, most of the time you need a deeper water and a strong gun better with a float or a big reel, its flesh tears easily so if you put more pressure it will tear. when the spears hits it ... it gives a very strong runs and may bend the shaft if its a good size, so make sure to give it a killing shot, or be ready to ski:crutch

Cobia (sechan): The hardest fish to shoot, don't shoot it unless you know what your doing :naughty .... its not a joke :crutch , very strong skin, very hard to stone, it gives a real long runs and far distance most of the time and it bends the European shafts easily:vangry . will not shoot it without a float!!

thats my opinion and it dose not mean its right!!!

what is your hardest fish to spear?????

I will try to add more later .......

Last edited:
Nice one Sanad..

For me hmmm..... i would say the hardest fish for me to shoot would be the one out of range or out of sight... Usually the fish i see is already on my stringer moments later... hehe :t

As for the Barracuda.. i dont think its a hard fish to shoot.. actually in my opinion one of the easiest fish to shoot... u can get real close to them theyre usually just cruzing in slow motion looking checking u out... but all u have to do is seem not interested and dont swim directly to it she'll come to u... BAM in the head then on ur stringer! But i dont shootem anymore cuz i dont eat it.

The fish i find a little tricky to shoot is red snapper (Um Drais or Hamra)... if ur not super silent and stealth, they will bolt away at the slightest sound u make or if they see u in attack mode. With the right technique tho... u can have them sit and pick their teeth with ur spear while u watch... then BAM.. I love shooting them.. a lot of fun and GREAT eating.

Trevally (Jash) The only hard part is if u shoot a good sized one without a reel or float and the thing starts fighting.. which i have stupidly done before.. all i had was 3 meters of line and i was in for a looong ride:crutch ..... hehe So yah make sure u have a reel or float and try ur best for a stone shot.

Cobia definetly puts on a good show especially if not stoned and everytime u pull it in closer to the surface.

Thats all i guess.. maybe for now.

Yalla

Zane...

I havent seen Wahoo here... but when i shot my first kingy i thought it was a yahoo... theyre very similar in shape.. no?

Zane

Last edited:
No wahoo here i think, never heard or saw any in the water or the fish market, the big and clear difference between the wahoo and the king is in the jaw, the wahoo have a sharper angle and longer jaw... thats what I saw in the spearfishing movies and photos..... never saw one life before!!!:confused:

sanadw said:
zane ..... yahoo is a search engine as I know!!!! :t

Oh hehe.. what mind mustuv been elsewhere.. i wrote both wahoo and yahoo heh.rofl

looool zane I shot a large trevally before with my damn pneumatic gun ... she took me in a very bad ride then lucky me she teard away...:crutch

I don't know why these damn cudas here are not curious ... they just pass away!!!
will try to ignore them next time and see!!

also I think the place plays a big part of the fish behavior too, shore is different than open water ... fish around oil rigs are more curious too, I saw this ultimate spearfishing movie .... man he looked like spearfishing in aquarium, with giant everything all around him!!!!!!! :head

ok we all know that kingfish are turbo charged :D ....
and iv heard that cobia are VERY strong ...
but one fish that really supprised me was this fish its a strong fighter plus u can only catch it spearfishing u cant catch it with nets or fish traps soo its VEEERY expensive :

DSC01492.JPG

im kuwait its called hamam
some of its variations have delicate flesh

mishu1984 said:
im kuwait its called hamam
some of its variations have delicate flesh

As far as I know Hamam is Zbaede .... are those from the same family?????
am confused now!!??:confused:

Kuwait .... you have total different names there man .... I was reading in a Kuwaite Forum couple of days ago ... never managed to know some fishes .. can you help ...they are baits what are they:

Slakhet meed???
mseer or msayer????
zure or zore????
mzaeze???
Nwaebe??
Brbug??

and one more silly question:duh why do you have allot of fishes more than QATAR??? man you even have species that we dont have here!!!!???? isn't it the same sea??? :duh
I never ever saw this Nwaebe here in Qatar!!!!!????????????

HELP

meed, and zoore are two different bait fish that are very popular.
meed is more of a mullet

nwaibi is nwaibi, no other way to describe it

and brgub, if im not mistaken, i just another way of saying gubgub, which is crabs

the reason why we have more fishes is because our marine ecosystem is made up different sub-sytems, and we have more estuaries and islands, and the tigris/euprhrates rivers empty out onto the gulf by our northern borders with iraq

I would say Sobaity, for sure. very very simmilar to the MedSea Dentex.

very spooky, very tough. sure are delicious though!

sobaity.gif

barracuda in the gulf are EASY. all you need is a flasher and good aim ;)

Last edited:
Amp, are you talking about the ones in my pic or yours? the ones in my pic are definatly Nuwaibis ( نويبي )

wooops!!!1 just saw ur pic, sorry abt the mixup, i have an exam in a lil' bit...cramming and all, it screws with ur brain :p

Thanks Mishu thats really helped allot, I was searching for a listing like that too....
I totally forget about the rivers that flow to the sea ... those definitely a big reason ....
We don't have Nwaibi here at all, we have Sbaite.. but it looks little bet different, and its becoming less each year!!!

Thank you for your help ...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT