• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

the need for speed...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

noa

Oct 17, 2003
yes free diving is a huge passion ! however it's not the only one and among others i am an avid windsurfer and kitesurfer. one of the elements that these sports give me wich i miss in freediving is SPEED. can't help but remembering a tacky example from the 80's, Tom Cruize in "Top Gun" saying, "i feel the need, the need for speed...". well, so do i and it often happens underwater which brings me to doing underwater sprints with my monofin. what a rush i get when i glide through the water at speed, always pushing to go faster. of course this will go against lots of peoples idea of freediving but for me the feeling is fantastic. so, imagine speed dives in competition ? set depths with several divers going down and back together as fast as they can. i think it would be pretty spectacular and FUN. until then, catch me if you can...ha ha...
Noa

You aren't the only one. It warms you up nicely too. Just be careful not to damage your ears.

I once did 30m in 39 seconds. Equalizing like a madman.
What a rush. Even better would be to do it without a suit so you can really feeeeeeellllll the speed.

Pete
Vancouver, BC

I beat Pete!!!!!

22m in 22 seconds! Ha-ha!!!!!!!! Mind you, that was with a waterway MDM1, which I don't normally use in open water.

I find this is quite a fun thing towards the end of a deep session. I know that I am not going to do any more deep dives, but I still want to warm up and have some fun, whilst my buddies still have some deep dives left in them.

Anyway, this was all in my younger and fitter days, when I could do nice things like diving and didn't have a mountain of DIY looming over me......

:waterwork

Never timed myself to see how fast i go but i've played fun games with dolphins chasing each other around and i'm sure they where having as much fun as me. Hard to beat that for pleasure...

Hmmm.....yes, that does beat our 'speed sessions'.....

:(

No dolphins for Pete and Ben.... :(

would like to see people going for new speed records in the future. "anouncing a new record attempt for the 30 meter category..." place your bets, it's gonna happen !

Pin two divers, side-by-side, rifling down 30m and back up, and now you have a contest screaming for ESPN2.

You would think a 'hands-free' guy like me would have the advantage.....alas, Senior 'Frenzel' Jon could undoubtedly dust me every time.

I'll always be a slowpoke :eek:.

taken me a while to find this thread but I love this idea! My dives are all super speedy... but yes I have had a few bust eardrums along the way. They are now so scarred they can't pop any more... seemingly..

in this cold weather speed has other advantages too.. such as keeping you warm

watch out there - I went for a real dynamic burn in the pool the other day and got such MASSIVE cramp really suddenly that my legs went like two dead weights and I had to hang on to the side of the pool and have my buddy get my fin off....

training with the monofinners speeds you up too.. they do a 50m apnea sprint race and some of the times are amazing
Sam

Your ears learn to clear pretty quickly when your zooming around wrecks with your scooter wide open.:D

At least until you run into something with your head.:head That always slows me down a little bit.;)

Jon

So, my dear cetacean brothers, should we join forces and make this happen ? If not now when, if not us who...?
Noa...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT