• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The Outlet 2008

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
snakes do help to calm you lol even though i have only bought 2 of them but they help to relax you it would be a good idea

Here's a video from Sat. - A better version is on Facebook. Or on youtube it's self and click on "watch in HD" A Lot better.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tig1-OHTaH4"]YouTube - Winter Diving in Wisconsin[/ame]

Last edited:
yes they sometimes will cut off the air but mine are calm so i never have that problem

I see that the outlet was on again today!:confused:

The weather is pretty nice this week and I have no idea why they have it running. All I know for sure is that I won't have a chance to dive it again until the wekend and it may be off by then.

I think you mentioned this idea last year, but would it be worth calling and trying to talk to someone at the plant about when they use the cooling system?

My guess is, during the week they are running more power for companies, the college, the capitol building, etc....

I walked down there to check it out today and the pipe was on, water was flowing, ice was melted quite a ways out, and the vis was crystal clear.

I didn't see any fish, but I did see a (live) muskrat swimming around enjoying himself quite a bit.

jon

Great video, Scott. That's the first time I've heard the yo-yo ma version of master of puppets. ;) The video matched the music perfectly.

zman, have you gone to using dry gloves? Does that work better than the 3-finger 5mm's? Do you wear normal gloves underneath the dry gloves? Did your hands stay dry?

Those gloves are fleece lined and have drysuit seals on the cuffs. My hands stay completely dry. They are the warmest things I've used so far, but they are also extra bulky and are so big you couldn't fit them into a speargun trigger. That doesn't matter when I use a sling, but it does make a difference when I try to adjust the controls on my cameras.

They are made by DUI and are pretty expensive ($120), but I found mine on ebay for a lot less. You need to take a little extra time when putting them on to make sure the wrist seal is flat and that the cuff goes under your wetsuit- otherwise it will leak.

Jon

I have 5mm trigger finger mittens from deep-sea. Even when I fill them up with lake water they have warm feeling water within a minute or two. :D

I've owned lots of Deepsea mitts over the years, they are carried in just about every dive shop around, and I have never found them to be very warm. They are cheap, so I don't mind trashing a pair in the summer time, but for winter I needed to upgrade.

Henderson has some nice stuff, but it's ridiculously overpriced for what you get. Elios makes about the warmest wet mitt I've ever used- plus, they're almost as cheap as the Deepsea stuff. I had a pair of Picasso double seal mitts that work OK, but the trigger finger on them is cut small, to use a speargun, and they are even more overpriced than Henderson. DUI used to make some nice wet mitts with a donut wrist seal that were pretty nice. They had 7mm rubber on the back of the mitts and 3mm on the plam side- with opencell rubber lining the inside. I haven't seen a pair in years, but the ones I had sure were nice.

The DUI dry gloves are the second warmest gloves I've ever worn while diving. The warmest mitts I've ever owned were some Viking lobster mitts with opencell glove liners. The main problem, besides how crazy expensive they were, was that you could only use them with a drysuit. They also were so bulky that you couldn't operate a camera or speargun with them. I had no problems using tools with them underwater- like wrenches and saws.

I've looked at some 6mm surfing mitts and have been thinking about trying a pair. They have no separate fingers and are truly a pair of mittens so they should be warm. They might not work with a speargun, but would certainly do the trick with a pole spear or Hawaiian sling. The only thing that worries me are the warnings that they are not for diving- surfing only. I'm not sure why that would be- unless the rubber is really that soft?

Sorry for the rambling post, but I've spent a long time, and a lot of money, on gloves and mitts over the years. I know that my hands get cold pretty easy, as a result from too many cold injuries from skiing, but I still possible to spend a decent amount of time in cold water with the right system.

Jon

Its good info! The deepsea are the cheapest we sell in divepoint, but Ive been diving when there is ice on the water and honestly they keep my hands really warm! I guess ill have to try the elios, Ive heard good things about the hammerhead gloves too.

I've been using my Elios 3 fingers. This year I put them over the smoothskin suit and they are much warmer. Last year I tucked them in and wore gloves under them - hands were dry but not as warm as the current config.

I have Henderson gold core 6.5 mil gloves and Henderson Insta-dry 5 mils. The Insta-drys are actually warmer - but they are only good down to around 50F - the gold cores are okay through about the same range - just not quite as good.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT