• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The Outlet 2008

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Whopperhead

Wisconsin Speargun Hunter
Mar 2, 2007
I figured I start a new Thread for THE OUTLET.

Today Dotey and I went to The OUTLET- Skys were partly cloudy, Calm to no wind. Air Temp of 35 and a Water Temp of 35. The discharge pipe was not turned on but the Water was Pretty Clear- 15 feet. We saw several medium size Muskies and LOTS of Bluegills, 1 Walleye and I saw 5 Carp- 2 of which I shot. Dusten (dotey) shot his first carp- :martial Dusten is getting better and by Summer should be able to hang down on the bottom with the rest of us. The outlet was mostly open except close to the barrier - there was ice. We stay'd in the water for about 2 hours and as I decide to go back in - I notice a guy going through my tote- I start to swim faster towards shore- I see him pull out my fins, then one of my Masks, then my knife AND THEN he pulls out my dry box which has my wallet in it- By this time I'm about 20 feet from him and I Yell "Hey! What are you doing?!" I startled him and he said "sorry, I didn't see anybody around and thought someone left this here" He said sorry a few more times as he scambled up the hill- I don't know if it was me yelling that scared him or my Speargun pointed at him. :vangry I thought he was going to try to take my wallet and run and THEN IT WOULD OF BEEN ON! :ko It was a weird situation- I'm just glad I happen to head in when I did. All in all it was a good day!

Attachments

• PIC_0136.jpg
    PIC_0136.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 182
  • PIC_0138.jpg
    PIC_0138.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 174
  • PIC_0126.jpg
    PIC_0126.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 186
  • PIC_0130.jpg
    PIC_0130.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 175
  • PIC_0137.jpg
    PIC_0137.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
A few more pics from the day at THE OUTLET 1-09-2008

Attachments

• PIC_0139.jpg
    PIC_0139.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 171
  • PIC_0140.jpg
    PIC_0140.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 168
  • PIC_0144.jpg
    PIC_0144.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 171
  • PIC_0127.jpg
    PIC_0127.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 184
  • PIC_0131.jpg
    PIC_0131.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 182
Hi Scott

Nice Pics, even the possible perp I presume. Still trying to find someone to take my oncall weekend for the 19th. I may come down regardless. See ya.

P.S. Getting a head start on the 2008 Carp contest I see.:)

Nice pics!!! That guy see's diving gear and does'nt figure someone is in the water? He probably thought you'd just be hanging out with your faces in the water while he went through your stuff!

Lucky you saw him when you did...Shoulda yelled and then took a pic of his face when he looked at you. Some people. He needs his butt kicked by one of his victims...maybe then he'd learn a valuable lesson:martial:ko

Congratulations on the 1st speared carp dotey...There will be many more I'm sure. You should try a polespear once in awhile. Once your good at polespearing hunting with a speargun is alot easier.

You'll notice that the fish you can spear vary as far as thier "skittishness" goes...Depends on time of year, day, water temp, barometer, pressure from other spearfishermen, etc. Also how you approach them makes a difference. Keep it up...You'll be awesome at it in no time! Carp on some lakes are very curious at times...In some lakes you hardly ever can get close enough to one - And they rarely come close to you. I myself spear mostly panfish though. But carp are fun too!

I'll show you guys some nice lakes around this area in the spring. See you guys then!:)

The spear gun probably made a world of difference. I find that most non-spearos are deathly afraid of spearguns. Most of them believe the guns will shoot the spear through the air like a bow shoots an arrow. They probably get this idea from movies. But since it worked in your favor we should probably let them keep their misconceptions. But to be fair to them the idea of getting shot with a 5 foot long piece of metal with a huge barb on the end of it scares me too.

Nice shooting by the way. 35 degrees though....I'm not sure I'm that dedicated. But kudos to you.

hey thanks bgill before long i should be able to hang at the bottom with the rest of you i have been working on my breath holds and stuff like that

You know there is something wrong with your brain when you're in 30+ degree water and you think "hmm, this isn't THAT bad" - Let me tell you what is worse that 30+ degree water:

-A kick in the face with a golf shoe :head

Anyways, Jon and Myself hit the OUTLET waters today. Jon did well, with 3 carp and a BIG Bluegill that measured 10 1/2" . I on the other had got skunked. I did shoot one, but he came off the spear. I actually came across him again, Jon and I both tried shooting it with the slings- No success. I still had fun cruising around and I found the Inlet During a competitive game of "Marco!.........................Polo!" (see, lots of FOG. We couldn't see each other for a good 1/2 hour.)

It was good to be in the water- Hope things work out- that I can get out there again soon.

JON- don't forget to add those carp to your count for the rough fish contest. :martial(will post pics - after I get some sleep)

Scott and i just got back from a nice 3 1/2 hour dive at the outlet- which is all the more sweet since it's -40F outside right now.:head

Water temps ranged between 34F and 52F. We had once nice spike around 11:30 where the plant dumped some excess heat and the water coming out of the pipe got all the way up to 64F degrees!:friday unfortunately, that only last about 15 minutes and then the whole place started to cool down- less than 50F when we, finally, decided to get out.

Keeping track of each other was a trick because of all the steam, wind, and waves swishing around the place. A couple of times I swam out and climbed up onto the wooden barriers just to see where Scott was.

There weren't as many fish there this week as last, but I still managed to get three carp and one nice bluegill. The coolest site of the day was this huge bald eagle sitting on the ice a little ways away from of. Of course, by time he decided to show up my camera batteries were dead and I have no proof- other than Scott's word that he saw it too.

Here's a few pics from the day.

Jon

Attachments

• days catch.jpg
    days catch.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 169
  • carpshot1_0001.jpg
    carpshot1_0001.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 170
  • fishgate.jpg
    fishgate.jpg
    316.5 KB · Views: 167
  • changing room.jpg
    changing room.jpg
    342 KB · Views: 166
  • ice and steam.jpg
    ice and steam.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 168
Scott,

It looks like we were posting at the exact same time!:head

Here's some still shots from the camera mounted on my speargun.

Jon

Attachments

• bluegill shot_0001.jpg
    bluegill shot_0001.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 166
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 181
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 171
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 172
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 177
Heres some pics from my camera-

Attachments

• IMG_0008-2.jpg
    IMG_0008-2.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_0011-2.jpg
    IMG_0011-2.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_0016-1.jpg
    IMG_0016-1.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_0021-1.jpg
    IMG_0021-1.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 173
Nice outing guys, I guess I did not miss too much on the fish side. Maybe I'll get to dive again soon :). I went to the pool yesterday. We had a scuba class, I swam laps and videoed the students kicks. I'm trying to make sure my lungs are ready for April!

I hope to get up there next Sunday Jon! My wife is still chirping about $ and the April trip.

How much bottom time do you guys get? Im working on mine by doing hypoxics. I learned about them from the swim team... doesnt seem to help much though. Still, I manage to kill plenty of fish. The stringer full of fish is me, felt like I needed a post to prove myself legitimate.

Attachments

• crappies.jpg
    crappies.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Hey Fleshy we know you are legit! I wish I had some of those plump panfish! Does that Outlet spew hot water?

The water temp right now is usually in the lower 30's, but in front of the discharge it can reach 60+ degrees.

That's a nice stringer Fleshy. I don't think anyone has a doubt on how many fish you shoot. I'm not familiar with hypoxics. I'll have to look into that.

I just did a quick search, no real details but I did find this on a swim forum.

"Hypoxics are breathing drills designed to improve oxygen utilization. For instance....you may breath bilaterally...or on a dedicated side, but only once every 4 strokes....eventually only once every 6. Then in the future, when say doing intervals and breathing normally, you will feel the benefit!"

EDIT: It seems that the theory is that holding your breath for the 4 strokes, you are keeping your head in the water and streamlined, making for better lap times. Your body then gets used to using the stored oxygen. I have noticed this on long swims myself. I was holding my breath for half the length of the pool when I started, and I quickly tired out. I changed my breathing to a slow exhale and a breath every other third full stroke or so and I did not tire as fast. I guess I should have stuck to what I was doing and built a tolerance. I'll have to go back to that starting tonight! Now that I "got my wife" and H2)Audio case for "her ipod", swimming should be more fun! :)

Last edited:
I used to do hypoxic pyramids. You start out swimming a 50M at every 2 strokes. Next 50M is every 4 strokes and so on until you get just one breath for the entire length of the pool. then you start back down the pyramid breathing more often with every 50M swum.

there are other ways to do them as well- but may be a good idea to have someone watching you. If you look up any info on Underwater Hockey you'll see lots of workouts that involve hypoxics. One I used to do is to swim one length underwater followed by the return on the surface. Continue doing these as fast as you can for as long as you can. If you want a variation you can try bogdats- half a lap under and half a lap over. I find these easier as I can swim at a faster pace, but then I'm old. :crutch

Yet another drill I've been doing lately is one lap under water followed by one on the surface at full speed using both arms and legs. The third, surface, lap is legs only and the fourth is arms only. After the four laps are completed you start back with the underwater lap- no rest in between.

Again, if you have a spotter, you can do count down laps. Swim one length after 20 breaths. Swim to the other side underwater and take 18 breaths. This is followed by another lap underwater and then only 14 breaths. When you get to under 10 breaths start going down by one breath at a time 9, 8, 7, 6,5....ect. See how low you can go and then work your way back up. These start out very easy, but get tough by the end.

You can also do 50 meter underwater repeats- leaving every 2-3 minutes depending upon how comfortable you are. You could also do countdown repeats of 50m. That means you get to breath for 2 minutes prior to the first one, but only 1:30 for the second, and 1:15 for the third, 1:00 for the fourth, and :45 for the fifth.

An easier one to keep track of is just do one length underwater every minute. The faster you go the more time you get to rest at the end. The slower you go the less time to rest at the end. Doing these on one minute intervals should be easy for most everyone. When you get bored with those you can try doing them on a :45 interval instead. Of course dropping those times down to shorter intervals will increase the C02 levels and work the hypoxic tolerance even more.

The most fun you can have while working on Hypoxics is to actually join in an underwater hockey game. There's a group that plays in Madison every Monday night. On most weeks they get people that drive in as far away as Iowa to play. It's a great way to work out and have fun at the same time.

Most of my workouts have been the exact opposite of hypoxic training as of late. Instead I've been working on FRC laps- there are lots of other threads on here about FRC diving/training. I find it to be a much more comfortable, and enjoyable, way to train. So far it has crossed over quite well with my winter diving since we are stuck in shallowish water until the ice thaws.

Jon

WHAAAAT. Ha ha! slingshaft! Glad to see you made it over here. Its a real shame about the other site, (not to mention us losing all of our POWER! :martial) But alas things change, glad to see you hunted me down here. Their outlet does, personally Im too wuss/dont have the equipment to go in during winter. The people over here havent really seen any pictures of me yet though, so Im just getting settled in. How are you?

(Sorry folks, slingshaft and I were moderators on another spearfishing forum, that has now regrettably eaten the dust. (a lackadaisical owner was the demise))

Sorry guys didnt see the second page. Yeah, youve got the workout down. I did 25m in 1 breath on the minute, and it tires you out fast, but then again I had no real way of telling if it was helping my spearing cause I havent been out in the winter ever. Although the coach did tell my mom that she wised that I "...spent as much time swimming as he does at the bottom of the pool!"
Used to stand on the bottom and smile and wave to people while they did their laps. I also used to swim underneath people looking up at them during laps. (This bugged the crap out of a LOT of people :t). But yea no way to tell.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT