• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The pain of hypoxia...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Only what I heard, not from personal experience, thank goodness...:D

2nd hand

One of Laminar's relatives 'drowned' and survived, and his first hand testimonial (if I remember) was that it wasn't painful...

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

The airways do admit some water, but they close down shortly afterward. Drowning victims usually do not have a lot of water in their lungs for that reason. People can actually asphyxiate/drown on a very small amount of fluid.

It takes around 2.5ml or more of water per kg of bodyweight to drown properly.

Read that in a diving medicine book, I did.

I cough like a demon if I get more than a microlitre of fluid down my trachea.

2.5ml

darn metric measurements :head

That would be about half a teaspoon. That's not very much.

My two cents

#1: My mom has a friend who "drowned". she says that it did not hurt untill she became concious again. Then it felt like her lung was literly being torn from her chest cavity. she says that at some points she wished she was left in the drink.

#2: I have had LMC's twice now:naughty , both during dynimacs, ALWAYS WITH A BUDY:head!!! This is mostly because I have fewer contractions (10-20, compared to 40-55 in my static). I have learned to count on other signals, like a light burning in my legs and arms to tell me when my swim is done. So, for you folks who have early or no contractions, maby try waiting for other signals, even passing out. Find out what happens in the 10 seconds before you LMC, so you can breath then, as it will take 3-5 sec for your brain to get the air you breath. I also suggest doing this dry, so you can have 100% confidence that you will regain conciousness. I have found this reasurence that I will not die to be the biggest factor in my progression (march this year: 2 min stat, 30 m dyn => December this year: 4:30 stat, 70 m dyn).

per kg, don't forget!

2.5ml/kg x 75kg = 187.5ml = half a coke can

Long live metric I say! Boo, down with imperial!! :)

(I often try to convince with my 65 year old dad about how the imperial system probably held back man's progress by decades! Pounds, shillings and pence was an equally feather-brained idea. :duh)

alun

It's the substandard American educational system!:duh

I also blame movies, TV, politics, Bill Clinton....:duh :duh :duh
The U.S. was supposed to convert to metric decades ago. Hasn't exactly happened yet.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT