• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The Sea Provided

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Shoot or Pass

• Shoot

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • Pass

Votes: 28 73.7%

• Total voters

settingsteel

SettingSteel
Supporter
Aug 14, 2007
Had a great day yesterday on the ocean... (http://forums.deeperblue.net/florida-east-coast/77524-late-rpt-monday.html#post707729)...but this is not what the title is referring to.

I was blessed with a new experience that surfaced and got me thinking. I was hunting a ledge yesterday in about 30' of water as I submerged I saw what seemed like a reddish, huge seafan that was moving, upon closer inspection I saw it was perhaps the biggest hogfish I have ever seen in the water, I think it could have gone 30+" easily he was all lit up, and fearless (or stupid)...I got a rush of kill-blood, instantly followed by a moment of hesitation...a hair splitting nanosecond hesitation on the trigger...this has never happened before....in that split second I saw from the corner of my eye a small female pop into view and the Alpha started to bump her, it became quite obvious they was "gettin puddin"

So....so.....so I did what I never imagined I would do I passed the kill, and headed up...I don't know why I did it, in fact I've been pondering the question all day today with "visions" of that huge hog lingering in my mind...What caused me to hesitate that split second (thats the most intriguing question I keep asking myself). Is it that I'm getting soft? Is it that at one point in a "predators" life compassion seeps in and survival of the fittest takes second? What would you have done?

Thats why you passed on the shot!... I was wondering what happened. In all honesty I think that was a very admirable decision and I for one think that karma will repay the favor. If it were me being a more novice spearo..... I would of probably taken the shot probably, due to a heavy trigger finger. For that hog to have made it this far and not ended up on a dinner plate is a feat on its own, especially down here :confused:

Yeah right, same thing I thought, and in 30 ft of water...that boy was a horny Mofo:inlove...ain't that what usually does nature in though?

Well hopefully they breed a new faster growing race of hoggies rofl

...... But yea nature gets shafted by horny men in wetsuits even after they've been satisfied :t

Let em have a last conjugal and then ......pow.

Yes , to have reached such a size, I bet this hogfish has a bit of the jedi force in him. "Shoot me you do not wish to.". And now you let it breed.

Reactions: podge and Lockedin
Hmmm interesting poll...I'd sure like to hear some opinions on this. I did follow them for awhile and he kept bumping her, truth is =I let it go, since I started to get second thoughts:head. I really don't have much regrets, even though I doubt I'll ever see that fish around there again (usually if you see them there once they'll be there again)...I just hope this don't become a habit...guess I did my son a favor since their will be future hoggies to shoot, or at least thats what I'm convincing myself of:hmm

I woulda nailed him! Mostly because with my crappy technique, and poor shooting skills, he would have had a good chance of surviving our encounter.:D

tone, i know exactly what you mean...had that same moment once with a whole school of birg eyes..they are very elusive fish, and once i swam through a whole school that seemend fearless and decided not to shoot...In retrospect what went through my head at the time, probably was that they were accepting me somehow in their group...didnt seem appropriate to repay that with spearing one of their buddies..:)

^^^interesting M....What kinda has me questioning is why I even hesitated that split second...I saw him and my instinct is always so natural to pull the trigger spontaneously...but yet in the particular situation I didn't, I hesitated and that is what gave him his life and the opportunity to spread his genes...its practically as though some
some little voice said wait...I kinda hope I never hear that little voice again:head

Tone- I myself would of shot him. I would be more likely to pass on smaller or medium sized ones and strickly go for the bigger ones. I just think if you pass on the smaller ones- eventually you'll have lots of big ones to choose from. I'm sure this is not the case as it sounds like they might be over fished? Just My Opinion.

I do give you Kudos for having that kind of will power.

I said shoot, but I'm putting that down to my inexperience and the fact that I'd want to get some meat on the end of my new spear. No inuendo's with that one fella's!

experience vs's lack there of? I think when I actually get in the water with my gun im gonna wind up firing off shots with out even meaning to, for 2 reasons: I'm gonna be frezzing my arse off coz I haven't yet got my new wetsuit and as a result my trigger finger will be shivering, and 2 coz I'm gonna be too trigger happy!

You sure are but lets keep these posts relevant to the topic, I dont mind if you post whatever in where's jim but i think settingsteel might get a little peeved if we hijack his thread? Nighty Night

I quite often let specimen fish pass by, I enjoy to look at fish sometimes in preference to a salt water blood bath! However if a saw a 30lb free swimming fish, of any sort where I live, I would of shot the mother!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT