• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The Sea Provided

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Shoot or Pass

• Shoot

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • Pass

Votes: 28 73.7%

• Total voters
you know tone, now that i think about iut, i think this situation happened to many hunters before..if you read the book by carlos eyles "the last of the blue water hunters" which is amazng by the way.. the whole book he is hunting white sea bass, in the end he sees one and decides not to shoot and the book ends with "go free and live your life ocean warrior" something like that...
also if you see the video by abellan "al Acecho 2" the entire movie his prize is big amberjack..and in the end he sees a massive one, in range and all..decides not to shoot..so consider yourself to have been through a moment that greath hunters go thorugh :):)

shoot..so consider yourself to have been through a moment that greath hunters go thorugh :):)
Now that you put it that wayrofl...I have heard quite a bit about that book by Carlos...I don't know the details, but I will say if that Alpha Hog was not mating the outcome would have been :martial

good call on holding back, to be honest I would have shot first though, and noticed what was going on after, I am ashamed and sad to say.

on the other hand I am shooting a lot less fish now than one year ago because I will never take normal fish under 1Kg and rarer fish, grouper etc under 3Kg. Everybody else here does, and my buddies look at me strange when I leave the water with nothing. I like to think thats experience and maturity, and I like to think that when my eldest (now 8) starts spearing that there will be stuff left for the table.

good post tone.

Reactions: settingsteel
good call on holding back, to be honest I would have shot first though, and noticed what was going on after, I am ashamed and sad to say.

on the other hand I am shooting a lot less fish now than one year ago because I will never take normal fish under 1Kg and rarer fish, grouper etc under 3Kg. Everybody else here does, and my buddies look at me strange when I leave the water with nothing. I like to think thats experience and maturity, and I like to think that when my eldest (now 8) starts spearing that there will be stuff left for the table.

good post tone.

WoW man this is very good indeed! :fridayI took feel bad when I realized I shot and undersized fish, not because I killed it, but because I killed it and I can't consume it like I would want to. Here we have rules and regulations that we must abide by. I took shoot far less fish and nothing that I can't eat I won't shoot I to plan to leave the smallest footprint I can in this place & any other place for that matter. :p

Si fuera por mi me lo como haci no lo mate por gusto y puedo aprobechar la presa.

Reactions: settingsteel

good post tone.

Thx Azapa...Its quite interesting the results from this poll compared to the same post in other forums. I think in part it ties in to what you mentioned regarding exper/matur...I have taken out a few young guns and notice after a couple of journeys they somewhat change their attitude and are a bit more conservative...guess thats a good thing...don't get me wrong I'm for from Mother T, sometimes I wanna go and fill a cooler, but thankfully those are few and far between....the Ocean Provided and I take what I will use...the afterburn is always just as good!

This is mildly off point but one thing most people dont think about is the big kickass fish are the breeders...every big fish you pass on gets its 'big fish' genes out there...shooting smaller fish is not nearly as hard on a population. Especially if your out for a feed the smaller fish eg a panny snapper, always taste far better...just stay in the regs. Our lakes back home have instituted fish regs that say if it's too small you cant keep it, if its over a certain size you can keep it but only on to another larger size (breeder size) which you can't keep. Then theres the trophy size fish, which you again can keep...this promotes great fishing populations, so if spearos put these regs into their heads I think our kids would probably enjoy the water more down the road. Most people think they are conserving by only shooting the big fish but the truth is often that a large trophy breeder fish is FAR more important to a population than 4 or 5 pan sizers. As much as this sucks.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT