• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The Sea Provided

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Shoot or Pass

• Shoot

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • Pass

Votes: 28 73.7%

• Total voters
experience vs's lack there of? I think when I actually get in the water with my gun im gonna wind up firing off shots with out even meaning to, for 2 reasons: I'm gonna be frezzing my arse off coz I haven't yet got my new wetsuit and as a result my trigger finger will be shivering, and 2 coz I'm gonna be too trigger happy!

hmmm glad I'm in Miami...you go:martial boyrofl

Settingsteel, do you take a camera with you? in my limited experience i have found i take as much time photographing as i do shooting, an excuse to justify not shooting perhaps :) ? Also helps deal with my novice itchy trigger finger ;-)
anyway, i'd probably be too scared/shocked of seeing a fish that big... :head

Tone I’m as hungry as the next bloke and some say I’m more so but on this occasion I would have left it be.
I’ve had the same sort of thing with Pollock over here, good take able fish that just swim right up to say hello, well buggered if I could shoot it after it was so polite in the first place.:head:head

Ha seems we got a bunch of softies on the forumroflroflrofl...or perhaps just a bunch of honest spearos...that don't mind voicing their true blood.

Settingsteel, do you take a camera with you?
er, uhh, NO...sorry mate...but your welcome to tag along with me and picture away...the only "click" a fish hears when I'm around is "the last one"

with Pollock over here, good take able fish that just swim right up to say hello, well buggered if I could shoot it after it was so polite in the first place
Podge...thats just taking it a tad bit to far...your response to that fish should be "lights out"...at least the first few that come in to greet you.

Make no mistake guys I would have Set some Steel on that hoggy in a twitch if not that he was mating...which is the weirdes part of what happened. When I went down it was to draw blood...but I hesitated prior to even seeing his mate...I don't recall ever hesitating on an easy kill shot...this is what I keep replaying in my mind what made me hold the shot that split second...which of course gave him his life.

Now to be quite honest only after reading the entire story did I decide not to shoot it. Though Im not sure I would have been patient enough to wait and see that he was with a female.

Tone- I myself would of shot him. I would be more likely to pass on smaller or medium sized ones and strickly go for the bigger ones. I just think if you pass on the smaller ones- eventually you'll have lots of big ones to choose from.
Im not sure that this is a very valid assumption. When the larger fish in a group are targeted you are taking them out of the "breeding pool." In result the individuals will become smaller. In short big males breeding with females = Larger offspring, small males breeding with females=smaller offspring. THis is what happened to many species of grouper (e.g. black grouper in california, and hapuupuu in hawaii) also swordfish, blackmarlin, and many others have been victims of "trophy fishing." :blackeye

I think it comes down to experience and respect for the ocean which settingsteele proves he has a lot of.

Last edited:
Thx for all the kind words mates...truthfully it was an impulse...and the title of the thread...proved the outcome...The Sea Provided me with something that is new to me- its compassion for the that which I have taken from it for many, many years...compassion to the point that it has superceded that primal predatorial instinct the lies in all of us (albeit some more than others).
Now that I see it does, I'm good with it, and it has set well, yet another thing I have to thank the sea for...and I know beyond a doubt if I am presented with a similiar situation my outcome will be exactly the same- at the end when life gives on to life tribute is tenfold...

Reactions: foxfish
:waterwork :waterwork :waterwork That was more tear jerking than "sleepless in seattle" LOLrofl

Jokes aside compassion is a very admireable trait!

It seems we have many passers here. Oops, i just passed one...

I'll be down to the keys in a few days and have a look-see for this legendary hogfish. Actually, come to think of it, most of the hoggies I see down there are a bit stupid about sharp objects. Last time I wouldn't even take a shot unless it was a monster. And they were in short supply. So I have to say thank you settingsteel for leaving one to multiply.

It seems we have many passers here. Oops, i just passed one...

I'll be down to the keys in a few days and have a look-see for this legendary hogfish. Actually, come to think of it, most of the hoggies I see down there are a bit stupid about sharp objects. Last time I wouldn't even take a shot unless it was a monster. And they were in short supply. So I have to say thank you settingsteel for leaving one to multiply.

Actually it was in Miami...ooops I mean yeah right it was in the Keys...key west to be exactrofland yes they generally are quite passive...borderline suicidal...but in areas they are stung hard they wis'n up a bit, never to the point that they are a "hard" fish to string up

yeah, i'd like to think i'da held back...i done some silly stuff like that too over the years.....held back on an almaco jack in costa rica cause i thought it was me....go figure....
boys, (&girls i suppose), i'm new on this site....how i find folks in the game in central america?? i'm in costa rica but i run round panama and nicaragua, el salvador, even guatemala.....honduras is off limits. anyone gimme any pointers? i see you all from miami, my ole stompin grounds, how i find on this site central america or south america? thanks you'all... happy huntin....

yeah, i'd like to think i'da held back...i done some silly stuff like that too over the years.....held back on an almaco jack in costa rica cause i thought it was me....go figure....
boys, (&girls i suppose), i'm new on this site....how i find folks in the game in central america?? i'm in costa rica but i run round panama and nicaragua, el salvador, even guatemala.....honduras is off limits. anyone gimme any pointers? i see you all from miami, my ole stompin grounds, how i find on this site central america or south america? thanks you'all... happy huntin....

Aloha

you can use the search option or post a thread in the regional catagory. Im sure you will find a number of divers from around those areas

Good Luck

ha que cubano no esta perdidoroflwelcome to DB compadre...you posted in another section that is the one... roam around the forum a bit before you know it te encotraras...Pura Vida:friday

Damn I am kind of late on this post! here it goes!

Hey dude in my honest opinion I am very glad you did not shoot that hoggie! when I first read you report on your spearfishing trip I wonder what It was that led you not to shoot the fish. Frankly speaking I never thought It would have been this but; now that I hear the reason behind it I'm glad you held on to your finger and let yet another hog populate. This was a good choice cabron this not only means future hoggies but a good way to promote marine biodiversity. At 30ft and It was me I would had blast his ass! ahahaha na man fuera de juego! I would had held off and come back up.

...fuera de juego! I would had held off and come back up.

who you kidding snappyroflyou & cuchillo (well maybe not cuchillo he would have just held for a few poses, with his cameraman:t) would given him "el palo" which of course would've ruined his!

who you kidding snappyroflyou & cuchillo (well maybe not cuchillo he would have just held for a few poses, with his cameraman:t) would given him "el palo" which of course would've ruined his!

:mad: Believe it or not man I'm a huge eviromentalist. If I see that kind of action going on (mating) I will definitely not even consider pointing my gun at them. I tend to respect all living things :inlove cept alligators cocodrilians and jelly fish! lol and many more.. But yeah back to the subject If i would have shot it, it would have been probably a "slipped finger" :blackeye & nothing more. lol My favorite fish to shoot and hunt is prob hog so I don't know what you think of me once I have said all of this [que ipocrecia.] rofl

Steel yo no doy palo asere. Yo le doy el fuetaso! o el BoOom! o le aplico la ley!

Cara de foyetaso tienes tu...rofl....he man I do think you would have passed most of us Miami guns are softies....except of course:martial

oye cubiches,

mi gente estan presente, latino hasta la muerte!!! i'm slingin round central america right now, but i been round miami a bit too....el farito.....key biscayne....pa pa pa, pe pe pe.....
i study some psychology back in the day.....and what we talkin bout is called "projecting"....and not just projecting missiles, cubiche, pero seeing something of yourself in whatever it is that you lookin at. when he looked at the hog, and it was gettin it on, he projected and saw himself gettin it on, and thats something that he respects, the act of gettin it on. he a romantic, digs on ladies, the "bone dance" is something sacred to him (as it is to me), so he let the hog get his boogie on, as i would like to think i would have too. or maybe followed him round a bit after he done his thang, and then given him the "machetazo".... like i said before, i held back on a almaco jack one time in costa rica, a real beast, an its cause i thought it was me....he wadn't gettin it on or nothin....you heard the question "what animal would yu be an why?? me, almaco jack...its how i see myself...pelagic, cool streak cross the eye, strong, predator, kinda stupid...
yu boys dont hit central america never??
z-ya

oye cubiches,

mi gente estan presente, latino hasta la muerte!!! i'm slingin round central america right now, but i been round miami a bit too....el farito.....key biscayne....pa pa pa, pe pe pe.....
i study some psychology back in the day.....and what we talkin bout is called "projecting"....and not just projecting missiles, cubiche, pero seeing something of yourself in whatever it is that you lookin at. when he looked at the hog, and it was gettin it on, he projected and saw himself gettin it on, and thats something that he respects, the act of gettin it on. he a romantic, digs on ladies, the "bone dance" is something sacred to him (as it is to me), so he let the hog get his boogie on, as i would like to think i would have too. or maybe followed him round a bit after he done his thang, and then given him the "machetazo".... like i said before, i held back on a almaco jack one time in costa rica, a real beast, an its cause i thought it was me....he wadn't gettin it on or nothin....you heard the question "what animal would yu be an why?? me, almaco jack...its how i see myself...pelagic, cool streak cross the eye, strong, predator, kinda stupid...
yu boys dont hit central america never??
z-ya

This almost sounds like some freaky freudian theory, "didnt shoot the hoggie cause mom looks hot... need to kill dad:blackeye"

but if I were to project myself I think I would be a Tiger Shark. Big, clumsy, hungry, willing to taste anything, at times I can even have a very gentle side! When it comes to "the bone dancerofl" I like to bite too.

way too much info!

Ahhh the FORUM now we're at animal wanna beez...so we got almaco jack psycho, and hang loose tiger shark...OK the thread is The Sea Provided...I sense Arman chiming in any moment...I would be.......................

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT