• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The Snorkel...always IN or OUT sort of On and OFF?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Do you dive with snorkel in or out?

• Snorkel in

Votes: 28 17.6%
  • snorkel out

Votes: 131 82.4%

• Total voters
Out. When I started 'advanced snorkeling' I'd keep it in and just blast out the water, take a breath, and go back down. But that was WAY before I knew anything about safety. I'd never dive with my snorkel in now. It's unsafe and looks dorky. In photos you look way cooler without your snorkel because you get that serious fish-lipped face going on. Let's face it, it's all about looking cool.

Reactions: osksa and foxfish
Just a point I would like to make in this, my last post, about this subject.:blackeye
Neither now nor ever before my postings in this Forums had any intention but to share, exchange, comprehend etc, different points of view and discern what's going on in others people's opinions.:head

Having said this, there's really no better way for each one but to do, in our diving exploits, what feels comfortable, right and logical as long as one's own safety, either in a real or imaginary way, is not compromised. Like the good old:"If it ain't broken..don't fix it!":naughty
Looks that the "out" has more adepts than the "in". Both techniques seem to have accomplished just fine for their respective practitioners. :)Good!

I'll just keep on my personal way of doing my diving. It has worked just fine for me as an individual as well as for the hundreds of people I had the opportunity to teach during my more than 40 years instructor life span.
It is also shared by MOST other spear fishermen (I guess they just don't post...) I know of at least in my surrounding spearfishing realm. That's South Florida.

I also guess, like in most other things, there's always another side of the coin.
I also believe it has definitely been shown in these posts there's no "water tight proof" or "solid rock evidence" that either way is neither better nor worse.

Having run out of explanations and personal opinions I now consider the particular theme exhausted at least for me.
I'll just will keep enjoying your comments. Mostly to avoid the already present personalization and direct attacks.
Thanks to all for your participation, which is in the end what matter to us all.:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. X
...I also believe it has definitely been shown in these posts there's no "water tight proof" or "solid rock evidence". That either way of is neither better nor worse.
Rick, you are right that as far as we ignore the safety risks, both ways have their advantages. However, I do not quite understand what "water tight proof" you need to realize that if you black out with a snorkel in the mouth, your chances to survive abruptly dim? Even if there is a laryngospasm at the beginning that prevents the water entering the lungs directly, you probably know that the laryngospasm releases anyway after a while - either when the blackout is too long, or when you wake up. In both cases, having water in the mouth will rather likely have fatal consequences. Are you denying that, or are you also one of those thinking they are in perfect control, and can never black out?

Last edited:
Exhausted the topic? Of course not. Here is proof.

I'm a hybrid, depends on the conditions. Normally, I start the dive snorkel in, mostly because I forget to spit it. About the first urge to breath I realize its still in my mouth and out it comes, unless I'm spearfishing in clear water and have a fish in sight. The way I spear (and probably Rick too) is by sight. Lose sight of the fish and you probably won't get it back. Taking your head out of the water is not an option if you want to put food on the table. If I spot a fish on the way up, the snorkel goes back in the mouth and my eyeballs never clear the surface. That does mean that I'm careful and don't extend things, also always buddy dive. If I've been down a long time, its snorkel out no matter. The arguments in favor of "snorkel out" are persuasive, but, like most general rules, it doesn't always make sense.

Connor

Last edited:
Reactions: artiz and Mr. X
As I said before, this subject a done deal with me. But it looks like I wasn't' clear enough, at ,least not for you. I do resent the question you make:

"Are you denying that, or are you also one of those thinking they are in perfect control, and can never black out?

Please, i would appreciate if your following posts, should you decide to continue on, be NOT personally addressed to me, as they will not receive a reply. Thanks.

Rick, sorry if I offended you with my question, but since you posted quite a provocative claim, I felt obliged addressing you personally. And the worse is that you are apparently an instructor teaching unsafe techniques to new inexperienced freedivers and spearos. However, whoever else claiming that there is no proof about the clear advantage of snorkel-out, may answer, so it is not completely personal.

And don't be mistaken, I very much agree with Connor, that sometimes it is simply not practical or necessary (i.e. also at very short dives) to remove the snorkel. Still, I find it quite unwise teaching new freedivers such technique as the better way. It simply is not better, because it is unsafe. Sometime we need to trade-off the advantage for some risk, but the default and automated behaviour should be removing the snorkel. Putting it back, or keeping it, should be used only when really needed. Unless it is automated, you will easily forget it just when it was really needed.

Last edited:
Trux Agreed.

there is Cotntless proof of the increased safety than snorkel out provides and for ANYBODY to say that there is no REAL proof is Crazy! if you wish to continue using snorkel in then go for it, thats your choice,but PLEASE dont teach it as the correct method. its just simply too dangerous.

i also agree with conner for spearfishing and if keeping an eye on fish is he priority???? (safety should be i would think but ah) then default drop the snorkel on everydive and if you need to put it back in at the end of the dive, ou can still be on the surface face down keeping and eye on the fish while putting the snorkel back in, thats how LOTS of divers in Australia and Europe dive and it works great, this way we are safe.

just out of curiosity Ricksafer, anot not trying to be provactive but your 40years of instructing is that Scuba, Freediving, swimmking? amd under what agency have you trained? CMAS, PADI, FREE, NAUI?

it would be great to quantify this because if we are tallking scuba then its a different ball park.

DD

there are allot of sprearo blackout deaths in florida this year, safety aside I believe I can equalize a bit better with it out.

Prefer definetely OUT. Causes less drag during the dive, and I relax better having nothing in my mouth...

aside from BO - With snorkel inn mouth, the tube snork is full of water down to the mouth the tongue is pushed back and the epiglotis is trying much to hold the watertight seal, even a good contraction may release this seal which may be water inhalation at depth this would induce cough then reinhalation followed by drowning, snorkel really should be out for skindivers,

not sensible to swim around underwater with mouthfull of water with possibility of contractions

definitely OUT
i can't really see any positive aspect for keeping it in after the safety issues

I always leave it out, mainly due to the fact I hate clearing them, I guess it's a habit that never left me since young.

A freediver never needs to keep the tube in. Even when gently diving a reef, we generally keep to the established competition & safety protocol. On the other hand, there is a purpose for a spearo to keep it in and blast or displace clearence. Even kiddies at the beach do it that way, because it maintains the continuation of each dive, rather than causing a start and finish concept on every dive. It only becomes dangerous after serious dives.........and that is what all freedivers/spearos tend to do more often than not. Therefore every dive needs the discipline of snorkel out. Every dive needs the surface protocols.....these are compromised if the snorkel stays in and your face stays down.

Reactions: trux
By the way, snorkel out is fine when diving woith fins. Without fins, things are a bit uncomfortable with the snorkel in hands. Some advise how to handle this ??

Yes, plenty: no snorkel at all, or keep the snorkel on the mask strap, or have it attached to the float/boat/buoy or to the descent line, or have a small floater on it, or pass it to your buddy, or put it behind your belt, or under the wetsuit on the side, or use a rubber strap on your arm or leg to put the snorkel under it, or use velcro on both the snorkel and the wetsuit to attach it, etc, etc.

Reactions: Mr. X
I use a Riffe Stable - this is an incredibly low drag snorkel. It never gives me any trouble and I usually forget I am even wearing it - even doing monofin sprints. So much so that I've taken it with me down past 40 meters while line diving - having forgotten it was there.

I don't like carrying a snorkel in my hands, or jamming it into my belt - where it still produces drag.

Plust the clip is very easy to detach/attach.

riffe_stable_front_lg.jpg

the stable snorkel would be my favorite if they got rid of the purge valve, in lake it was always fine but in salt water i've found if you dont have access to constant freshwater rinse salt crystals build up in valve and it leaks so have switched back to basic j for trips

I do wish they made it without the valve - still - you could glue it shut.

tusa make a really good soft snorkel without a valve

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT