• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Today's catch

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I've had a fishspine stung me once with these gloves, not because it penetrared the palm section but because the top layer of rubberish material has ripped between the thumbs and index finger so the dyneema is exposed. These tears is probaly because they are a bit too small for my hands so the area between this area get streched alot when holding my fingers out(the tear has happend on both left and right hand on the exact same place so thats how i know its not from grabbing onto the reef or something like that).

I have pretty small hands for being a guy(people always comment my small smooth girly hands lol) and the size is medium on these ones. So if you got medium-large hands go for large or xl to avoid this happening.

But other than this im very happy with the small size since gloves sits so tight against my hands so they never get stuck under the bands when loading and stuff.
The palm reinforcement otherwise have been great, 90% of my hunting is doing aspetto holding onto sharp rocks and corals in currents, and this far the finger tips doesnt show much of wear from this.

There is alot of diffrent brands that make the same type of gloves like Omer,Sporasub e.tc but i have never tried them but i goes they arent much diffrent. in quality

I just took some pictures with the salvimars to show the tear and also to show how the rest of the palm area looks after 3 months of use. The second pic is my old ones after 4 months. Im right handed so the left hand is the one is use to grab onto stuff.

tmp_8772-20161031_1434291480428163.jpg
tmp_8772-20161031_1451131240622550.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Rock Shooter
Hi guys - really appreciate this thread, thanks! I'm a beginner on St Helena in the South Atlantic and try my hardest to get out at least once a week. I have a young family and a busy job though so mostly have to make do with just thinking about being out there every 15 minutes or so. Seriously, I have more cravings than when I used to smoke! Keep up the fish posts - I'll be sure to get some pics when I next go out to share!

We are waithing your's photos from spearfishing Jeremy . Enjoy in the ,, big blue " [emoji2]

Getting out for an hour this evening if all goes well - can only make it to a semi-decent spot though so may come back empty handed. I'll let you know!

Second time i visit a new spot, has some species i usually dont see in the old spot. And ofcourse the usual yummy bluebar parrotfish.

Getting kind of bored of crawling around the reef inshore since i cant find anything bigger than 2-2.5kg. This month i will try to find a good guide to take me out with boat to find some mackerel and barracudas!

tmp_27131-20161104_19424461594291.jpg

Just the one yesterday - a rainbow yellowtail. Headshot at about 10m depth but still a pretty good fight!

Yesterdays catch.. Sadly i managed to loose my gun after finishing the dive and returning back to the beach and clipped it to the float while removing the anchor line and when i was going to clip the floatline to the gun i discovered it was gone and i couldnt find it again. I just finished all the upgrades on this one so it was exactly what i wanted for the smaller shorehunting and had just bought a reel for it. Didnt even loose it to a big fish, just lost it because of pure sloppynes and stupidity :(
Sucks big time but yeah i have a order pending for a new gun with same setup on it. Might try out a pathos open laser instead this time.

tmp_21550-20161113_160554797331898.jpg

Whoow, BRAVO Jeremy !!!
Thanks - long swim round the coast to find him but there are some pretty great deserted coves if you take the time to get there. Took me longer to swim back against the tide - must have been about a mile I recon. Still buzzing off it though and itching to get back out. Keep your pictures coming folks - I love to live vicariously through your exploits!

Thanks - long swim round the coast to find him but there are some pretty great deserted coves if you take the time to get there. Took me longer to swim back against the tide - must have been about a mile I recon. Still buzzing off it though and itching to get back out. Keep your pictures coming folks - I love to live vicariously through your exploits!
Congrats on the Amberjack Jeremy! How hard did it run? How long did it take? Awesome fish!

My report from last week:
Nothing... couldn't see my fins for most of the dive. It was a little shifty considering all the increase in shark sightings up the coast.

Reactions: Jeremy Harris
Congrats on the Amberjack Jeremy! How hard did it run? How long did it take? Awesome fish!

My report from last week:
Nothing... couldn't see my fins for most of the dive. It was a little shifty considering all the increase in shark sightings up the coast.
Hi Rock Shooter,
I was previously using a 6.5mm spear and a single 18mm band for a few months and had a big amber jack encounter that lasted 45 minutes or so before the spear pulled free. He would pull me under as I tried to slow him and then I would surface and pull him in a bit before he would run again. I felt terrible when the spear pulled out - felt disrespectful but there wasn't anything I could do about it. So I upgraded my system and now use a 7.5mm spear and a double 16mm setup.

Yesterday, after swimming along the coast diving occasionally at promising spots for just over an hour, I dove to about 10m and found five big Amberjacks swimming in a pack just off a ledge. They're inquisitive fish and were fairly relaxed. I was nervous of injuring another one and so surfaced because I couldn't get close enough to get off a good shot. I watched them under me (they followed me up much of the way) as I recovered and then dived again. I picked the one I ended up shooting as I descended - they had begun to circle me and this one would come closer than the others and was in the middle of the group in terms of size. I spent what felt like a long time tracking him with the gun and hit him just behind the gill cover and fairly central. I think the shot took much of the fight out of him - he ran enough to pull the line off the reel with a whir but I was able to slow it with my hand as I reached the surface. It only took about 5 minutes to get hands on him and I found the brain first try so was able to put him out without getting bashed about too much - there was a lot of blood in the water though which made me a little jumpy. The other four hung about until I had him strung to my belt too but were gone by the time I re-loaded. Not sure I would have had a pop anyway, one of these fish gives me and my friends plenty of fresh fish and the swim back with two would have been a bit of a pain!

Sorry to hear your water is cloudy at the moment - I hate it when it does that! Thankfully, we only get it a few weeks of the year really...

Nice white trevally (6kg) and rock hind or grouper (3.8kg) today. Quite deep - about 17m - but both instant kills and with just one of the 16mm bands loaded up too. The trevally took me by surprise from under a ledge so I had to rush off the shot - got him just behind the Gill cover again. Lucky he didn't run since the spear didn't go past the flopper! Ate him for supper - the wife's favourite! I must say, I love this gun, seems really versatile and accurate. Don't have experience with any other ones yet but super happy with my purchase! What guns do you guys use? what's your set-up?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 260
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT