• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Tom Sietas set a new German record in DNF

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

MaxDream

Nov 17, 2002
Today at 1250h local time in Hamburg, Tom Sietas set a new German record in dynamic without fins.

Old record: 112m by Wolfram Neugebauer
New record: 175m by Tom Sietas in 3'33'' in a 25m pool

He surfaced really fresh and clean. It seemed to be a walk in the park for him. He used a 3mm Elios smoothskin wetsuit and 10kg weight to be perfectly ballanced. His preparation was pretty much the same he uses for static: A 12 minute breathe up routine that includes a full packing 4 minutes before top. It took him 3 armstrokes each 25m.

Tomorrow he's going for the dynamic with fins record which is currently his at 186m.

CONGRATULATION TOM!!!!!
Very impressive!!!!!!!!!

Aniko Hrabovszky
Hungary

wow!! very impressive,

3 storkes for 25 m, those must be smooth long glides. I hope theres going to be a video available online soon.

Dan

MaxDream said:
He used a 3mm Elios smoothskin wetsuit and 10kg weight to be perfectly ballanced.

That sounds like a lot of weight, but maybe the suit is very buoyant. I have a 5mm Elios smoothskin, and it would take a lot of weight to get me down.

3 strokes for 25m is very good.

Congratulations Tom!

Lucia

One advantage of doing dynamic fins / no fins with a wetsuit and weight is that you have momentum that lets you glide from the push off and after each kick / arm stroke.

I once set a Canadian record in dynamic w/fins in a 5mm suit and over 15 lbs of weight. Not ideal, but I was perfectly balanced, and could coast.

Way to go Tom!

Pete Scott
Vancouver, BC

It's not a world record because the attempt was only announced as a national record, therefore no international judges and no antidoping test was required. The attempt was verified by Sven Penszuk and Katja Kedenburg. I don't know about Sven but Katja is an international judge.

wow.....175 meters is damn impressive

i would like to see what tom sietas could do in constant weight if he trained in that area a lot, it seems he has the capacity to be one of the deepest. Does anyone know how long he has been competing for?

I was wondering if 175 m was a pb for him or has he gone more in training? 200m maybe :mute Congratulations Tom
:king

Very impressive performance, and not just in DNF. I wonder what he could do in constant weight. Unfortunately in northern Europe there are not much very deep waters.

Tom Sietas set a new German record in DYN

Today at 1230h local time in Hamburg, Tom Sietas set a new German record in dynamic with fins. He did an incredible 215m (actually 215.9) dive in 3'19'' in a 25m pool and surfaced very clean, a PB for him. He used C4 Falcon 40 bi-fins and the same wetsuit and weights, like yesterday.

He got one white card and one yellow card on his performance. One of the judges thought that he hadn't got his heels properly on the wall at the 100m turn. So a 10m penalty (5 points) remains until the judges make a final decision after video analysis. There were spectators who claimed that he did the turn right, and Tom himself said that he didn't feel anything wrong at any turn. Even if he didn't get his heels properly on the wall once, we should keep in mind that it's rather a disadvantage than a benefit because it only decreases the impulse on the push off, but rules are rules.

This should be some motivation for the Danes.

@ watts:
Somewhere on the internet I heard that he did 200m DNF in training.

@ all:
Are there any photos or videos?

MANUEL

PS: Congratulations to Tom, of course!! :)

INFO!!!

There should be NO card's in a record attempt's... just ok, or not.

GREAT WORK, Tom!!!

regards
Bill Stromberg

Snik snik , i hate him ;-)
Tom you are the man , there can be no doubt on this.
INCREDIBLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all the positive comments, you are great guys !!
My record (215m) has been confirmed now by Sharanne Wheeler and Curt Teichgräber. As soon as I have the videos ready I will make them accessable for you.

Peter, keep up the good work! Your post in the static thread was great!!! Wish we could train together… see ya

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT