• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Training diary for 81m CWNF

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Sorry for the interruption – in the last 4 or 5 days I have felt so feeble and unmotivated that I haven’t even been writing my own personal training diary, let alone this one!
After the day off my target for the 5th of October was 76m (one meter more than the very easy 75m dive I did on the 3rd). The result: blackout, maybe as much as 2m below the surface. I came round relatively quickly on the surface thanks to my excellent safety diver Mike Lott, but was perplexed as to why I blacked out on what should have been an easy dive. At first I blamed it on the conditions, which were very poor that morning, with a strong cross-current and many annoying distractions. But I have done much deeper dives in much worse conditions, so I wasn’t completely convinced.

The next day, the 6th of October, I stepped the target back to 70m - and had a samba on the surface. Now this was just plain stupid: I have done over 100 70m+ CWNF dives (sometimes back-to-back on the same day), and it is a depth that should be a walk in the park. Something was definitely up. In fact I had been feeling very weak and insipid, and during breathe-ups it was almost impossible to avoid hypocapnia, despite breathing at most 3 times per minute. So even without a warm-up and with an almost non-existent breathe-up I was getting pins and needles in my hands and feet.

At any rate I took the 7th of October as a rest day and tried to figure out what was going on. My suspicions started to turn towards a condition of low blood pressure. When getting out of bed or standing up quickly I was getting faint-headed and tunnel vision, and my resting heart rate was higher than a doormouse.

On the morning of the 8th of October I was still feeling weak, but decided to attempt another 70m dive. During the breathe-up I actually had to stop, get out of the water to raise my CO2 levels, then get back in and breathe extremely slowly, with 20-40” apneas between inhale and exhale. Even then I started the dive with slight finger-tingling. The dive was clean however, albeit a lot more difficult than it ought to have been.
That morning at breakfast I started thinking about salt. Here at Club Sharm Resort there is a single restaurant where we eat all three meals every day, and the salt that they use in cooking and put on the table might as well be talcum powder for all it salts: I poured some on my tongue and couldn’t taste anything over than the rice they use to keep it dry… I asked the restaurant manager for an alternative but he said that is the only salt available in Sharm.

This morning, October 9, I decided to try a 75m dive, despite still feeling very weak. Once again the breathe-up had to be ridiculously slow and shallow, and once again I started the dive with mild tingling. I managed to maintain absolute control in the ascent and the dive was clean, but I knew that with the condition I was in a deeper dive would have been impossible. Something had to be done.
After breakfast (omelette covered with 1cm of fairy salt) I took the cab to Nema Bay to try and find some rehydration salts. The pharmacist was asleep on the floor of his shop, but we soon woke him up and I bought 4 boxes of Rehydro-Zinc, refusing his offer of some potent drugs that looked like they would never survive the AIDA doping test. I also bought some pure fruit juice and real Italian water.
The change was instantaneous. A friend actually said ‘My God, your face is changing colour!’ Whereas before I felt like I had cold brown tea trickling down my veins now I can feel gouts of hot sticky blood squirting and sluicing through my body. I can’t wait for tomorrow’s dive…

Reactions: Gerald
Your salty account brings back memories from Dahab where the only real salt was in the sea! No wonder we all felt crushed by end of every day until starting taking some supliments. Best around seem to be the local brand, the one coming in 10 packs a box, priced at 2.5 egyptian pounds (if you dont get cheated that is). It worked wonders, much better than any fency dope the pharmacist will try to push on you.

cant wait to hear the tomorrow's account! Keep it up..eerrr...down! :)

serge

Nice one Will - you have an amazing ability to establish cause and effect within your body. I can rarely do this, there always seems to be too many inputs!

Have you tried any of the gastro preparations? There's on in Australia called Gastrolyte, though I haven't been looking for them here in the UK. They're for rehydration in the treatment of gastro but they're great rehydrators and electrolyte mixes in their own right.

Cheers,
Ben

Very interesting Will.
So my question further up about diet turned out to be "right on target" :)
Do you take your temperature regularly?

Why does the same amount of breath-ups at the same pace lead to lower CO2 than usuall?

Sebastian
Sweden

Keep it up, Will! It's really interesting to read these entrys as a freediver is on he's way to a world record.

Anyway, I was wondering about the salt. What's the deal with that? What does it do and how does it help diving?

BennyB said:
Nice one Will - you have an amazing ability to establish cause and effect within your body. I can rarely do this, there always seems to be too many inputs!

Benny, I disagree with your ability here as I have many a times seen you deduce: Effect – Crap diving, Cause – Alcohol !!

Will – All the best and we are all sending you +ve vibes from down south. In a true Aussie tradition of claiming Kiwis as our own I think we might claim you as an Aussie sporting star……have you ever been to Aus, as that is all it would take for us to claim you?:t

ADR said:
Benny, I disagree with your ability here as I have many a times seen you deduce: Effect – Crap diving, Cause – Alcohol !!
Dammit, you got me there :friday

ADR said:

Will – All the best and we are all sending you +ve vibes from down south. In a true Aussie tradition of claiming Kiwis as our own I think we might claim you as an Aussie sporting star……have you ever been to Aus, as that is all it would take for us to claim you?:t

I been to Aus x2, does that count, or are your just head hunting for them top of the line guys.....:t

hi will,

i'm glad to hear you're back on track. looking forward to further updates. hopefully you have a bug-free time until after the dive.

also, in case you are interested, there are a few girls around these days i often hang out with for diving and fun stuff. they are the 'BlueSkunk Bubble Babes' :)

i was telling them about your current project and heather suggested to go down to sharm for your attempt for some cheerleading. the girls all like the idea and even had some funky clothes made up in a hurry. so, in case you are interested drop me a line. unless, of course, you feel that media interest might get diverted away from your dive ;)

take good care,

roland

Attachments

• Bubble Babes.jpg
    Bubble Babes.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 205
Do they bubble ring too, in formation of 6? :) You know that might be a great idea for the Olympic Games 5 rings, five of your BsBBs will do the rings, last one will be the back up! Now how to make the bubble rings in colour...here's the next challenge for your Bubble Ring Challenge Cup!

Ups...just realised this is way off Will's CNF world record attempt! Sorry, got carried away...

hey will,

nice baby!

always enjoy reading about your training - although i remain envious when you mention perfect sunshine...

as blue skunk media advisor, i feel that i have to intervene on roland's offer - there should not be any distractions of this kind prior or during record attempts...

after, however, i am looking into a plane load of penguins, assorted fire breathing dragons, and a handful of rare water squirrels...

merde pour ce putain de record!

jb

Problems with blood pressure persist. The doctor I saw here yesterday suspected anaemia, but after a full blood analysis all values were shipshape. The Apnea Academy dietologist recommended an injection of ACTH (synacthen), and I am going to try that out.
Frank, or anyone else, do you know anything about Synacthen or Effortil? Apparently they are gone from the system in 3 days, so shouldn't be a problem with anti-doping (and I will ask for permission anyway).
Will

Last edited:
Synacthen® (Corticotropin) is a famous german medicin and 100% doping!
jan ullrich is his mostly celebrated user.

greetings wolle

What is your blood pressure Will?
(I checked min yesterday 110/65 (hardly pumping).

And what is this Synacthen® (Corticotropin).

Sebastian

Synacthen = Tetracosactid-hexaacetat
(Novartis Pharma)
Tetracosactid= Peptid=AminoAcid~Corticotropins ACTH = AdrenoCorticoTropes Hormon

Efortil = Phenylethylaminderivat (Pervitin,Captagon,Ephedrin,Akrinor) (= 100%doping too)

I hope with the keywords you can find all informations in English.

greetings, wolle

Apparently they are gone from the system in 3 days, so shouldn't be a problem with anti-doping (and I will ask for permission anyway).

Too tired to look that up...But personally I think that even if something is out of your system before the test, it does not make it "not doping"...I hope you agree, but that just caught my attention :)

Best of luck! Hope you get the issues sorted out...I would really like to see you succeed!

Will, isn't it just overtraining ?

Take a few days rest dude ! :eek:

My 2 cents .... no, probably less than that, 0.2 cents maybe. rofl

Wish you all the best anyway.

Synacthene is a drug that stimulate the secretion of cortisol by the adrenal glands
ACTH is the hormone secreted by the pituitary gland which stimulate the adrenal gland.
An increasing concentration of cortisol in the blood will create a negative feedback on the ACTH production on the pituitary gland cells.
It means that it will increase your cortisol level in the blood as if you took a shot of corticoids
That's sure it will be efficient for your general performances, but not for the doping test!!!

AVOID IT

strange problem that is yours...I wish you an quick improvement of your symptoms

Adrien
french medical student

Hi Will
I agree with previous post. Avoid that drugs.

I want to know how low is your pressure and also if it's both components. Have you experienced samba or BO again?.

Systolic blood pressure depends mainly on systolic volume, and you should make a checklist about things that can decrease your cardiac performance:
-Preload = Dehydration?
-Contractility = Calcium deprivation, Excess of Potassium, Magnesium deprivation, Overtraining ( oxidative stress) ?
-Postload = Sodium deprivation?

Diastolic blood pressure is dependent of sympathic tone, Salt deprivation can be an issue, but also Cholesterol dependent hormones. It's possible that a low fat diet, for a long time, can affect this hormones.

Hope this can help a little. I really want that you succeed in the record attempt.

Regards from Colombia

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT