• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Training Plateau - Incorporating 02 Tables and breathe up advice.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ington6

Aug 22, 2019
Hi guys,
I've been doing mainly dry static training for the last 1.5 months, 3 x week. (C02 tables, diaphram stretches, 3 part breathing exercises, box breathing, long inhale/exhale). My PB is a little over 3 minutes the last time I checked. However, I seem to have hit a bit of a plateau and even started doing a little worse.

Now, my contractions are kicking in at about a minute, which is insanely short period of time. From what I've read around the forum that seems to be about the shortest 'relaxation period' of anyone. I have relaxed into 50 contractions but it really seems like I'm not having the classic "contractions halfway through your dive" scenario.

-Do you think there is a problem with my breathe up that is super early contractions? I dont have a problem handling them in static but would really love a more 1/2 and 1/2 scenario.

-Is 3x /week too much training for a newbie? I was feeling great and very confident, then everything just went south.

-I've never worked O2 tables because I was always told that I should concentrate on CO2. When is the appropriate time to start incorporating o2 tables into my sessions?

Also, I kind of just do a no breathe up. I just breathe normally through my mouth, take 1 big breathe without straining muscles, full exhale, then 3 part inhale, hold.

AND Thank you in advance for any advice. I really appreciate it!

I'd pay less attention to tables and other presribed methods. Instead just do deep slow breathing for a breathup - find a deep breathing pace that is relaxing to YOU. Relaxation is key. And then just do a series of breath holds. Rest a couple of minutes between each one. Do a series of 6 or 8 - always focusing on relaxation.

Reactions: xristos
Hi,

I'd like to repeat what J Campell said, focus on relaxation. It sounds like you are doing to many thing, and trying to hard. I'm sure 3 times a week is not a problem in it self, but can be if you push your selv too hard those 3 times.

How about you do what J Campell suggested, but end each breath hold on the first contraction, instead of pushing to reach a specific time (in it self stressfull). Do that for a couple of weeks and see if your first contraction on each breath hold will start later.

Disclaimer: i'm not very experienced my self as I have only been using tables (just one actually) for the last 3 months, but I focus on the relaxation part, and have never pushed my self anywhere close to 50 contractions. Progress has been steady.

When I started with breathhold contractiosn were disturbing me. I changed my mind trying to "enjoy" and count them. This mental change helped a lot, so I reached a PB of som 5'20" after some time. However, it is goog to have someone around (otherwise you may "happily" blackout).

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT