• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Training progress rates and how hard to push it?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
A month ago I was barely able to hold a few 45 second dry static holds. I built a few tables to practice every other day and have seen drastic improvement. I am now able to hold a 2.5min dry static hold and I can hold multiple 1min holds on the elliptical or stationary bike.

My advice to other beginners is to use static holds as a guide for your mental aptitude. You must make sure you do some sort of dynamic training because holding your breath while expending energy is a lot more cumbersome than just staying still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I really enjoy walking breath holds.Try it,tell me what you think.

I really enjoy walking breath holds.Try it,tell me what you think.

I have tried walking breath holds while playing with my dog and disliked it with the FL heat. I tried this about a month and will give it another shot without playing with my dog. Someone mentioned that I was probably expending alot more energy with the dog than just walking. As of now I am doing "Apnea Squats" along with a "Static table" every other day. The time I am in the gym during the week, I will start with "Dynamic O2" on the elliptical machine with constant exercise on both breath up and hold. I will then lift moderate weights and complete a table of "Dynamic CO2" on a stationary bike. I began "Dry Dynamic" training after achieving a "Static" 2 minute breath hold 2 weeks into training.

I'd like to note again to any beginners that relaxation of body/mind and breath control are the most key parts in achieving better times. I recommend you only use my tables as a reference considering everyone pushes and breaks through their limits differently through practice.

The sort of table is written (tiny) on the top of the tables.

6.13 apnea table.jpg

Today I pushed my dry static apnea to 6min+.

My body felt good today so I decided to do a O2 table and if everything felt good, go for another 5min hold. This did work well for me when I made my first 5min hold.

I started by doing a slightly harder O2 table than Ive done before.
Starting with a hold of 120s adding +15s each time up to 3:45 with 2min rest, focusing on relaxing on both the holds and the rests.
Also, I tried not doing any excessive breathing during the rests, just one larger exhale and inhale just before the hold. Also I did not do any packing. I kept my eyes closed during the holds, trying to focus my mind on something else than the time. Occationary assuring that each of my body parts were relaxed.

Had some minor contractions at the end of several of the holds, but I never had any doubts that I wouldn't be able to finish any of those holds.

After the O2 table, I took about 5-6min of relaxed breathing before going for the max. I kept my eyes closed and when I got some
contractions I estimated that the time would be about 3:15 but it had already gone 4:30, so from that on I re-closed my eyes and just endured the last one and a half minutes. I find it hard to get to a relaxed state after a major contraction. I usually tense the diafragm and then try to relax again but some tension keeps lingering inside my stomage which I cannot get rid of. I made two exhales instead of one before this hold and therefor I think I might have hyperventilated slightly and I had some tickling sensation in my body at the beginning. Also I felt a bit dizzy the minutes after completing the hold.

Today I pushed my dry static apnea to 6min+.

My body felt good today so I decided to do a O2 table and if everything felt good, go for another 5min hold. This did work well for me when I made my first 5min hold.

I started by doing a slightly harder O2 table than Ive done before.
Starting with a hold of 120s adding +15s each time up to 3:45 with 2min rest, focusing on relaxing on both the holds and the rests.
Also, I tried not doing any excessive breathing during the rests, just one larger exhale and inhale just before the hold. Also I did not do any packing. I kept my eyes closed during the holds, trying to focus my mind on something else than the time. Occationary assuring that each of my body parts were relaxed.

Had some minor contractions at the end of several of the holds, but I never had any doubts that I wouldn't be able to finish any of those holds.

After the O2 table, I took about 5-6min of relaxed breathing before going for the max. I kept my eyes closed and when I got some
contractions I estimated that the time would be about 3:15 but it had already gone 4:30, so from that on I re-closed my eyes and just endured the last one and a half minutes. I find it hard to get to a relaxed state after a major contraction. I usually tense the diafragm and then try to relax again but some tension keeps lingering inside my stomage which I cannot get rid of. I made two exhales instead of one before this hold and therefor I think I might have hyperventilated slightly and I had some tickling sensation in my body at the beginning. Also I felt a bit dizzy the minutes after completing the hold.

Have you tried applying these holds to dynamic training? That long of a static is really impressive!! My contractions are sort of like a mini heartbeat in my stomach that make it tense up really quick. They are not painful at all but create extreme tension in my stomach if i try to ignore them. Also they will sometimes be able to push air out of my lungs if I do not hold hard enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have not yet tried much dynamic training or anything else for that matter. I might try it out soon though.

I did order some freediving stuff, so Ill use that when I go for a beginners course this fall. I also read Umberto Pelizzari's book about freediving. But I was not impressed by it, there has to be better books out there.

About new record attempts. I did try the same method as when I managed to do the 6+min hold twice more. Using same 02 table (8 holds from 2 to 3:45), and then going for a max. But in both cases Ive come up short. Ending with 5:50 the first time and 5:15 the second.

Today I tried to up my table it self, though I didnt feel strong enough to try for a max in the end. I guess the table got me a bit to tired. I also tried this a bit to late in the evening instead of sleeping. However it also gave me confidence. Ive come along way, since I started, but all of the holds during this table were tricky. I used the following table.

(rest 2:15 between each hold)
3:00, 3:15, 3:30, 3:45, 4:00, 4:15, 4:30, 4:45

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT