• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

triple depth 2007

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Well once again congratulations to Sara (you are quite a scary little diver aren't you?) to Herbert...(I think it was expected really if he actually decided to dive CNF) and the rest of the divers at 3ple depth.

I guess its time to gradually move to the WCh thread now with official training starting tomorrow.
I'll be flying to Sharm tonight and will be there early in the morning - I'll have the laptop with me so if there is a WiFi available at the comp hotel I'll be posting updates on what's going on...

Have fun and see you in Sharm

Cheers Stavros

Just got to an internet cafe. Sara I saw that you had one, but did you have to be greedy and get 3??

Herbert, amazing! Nice to meet you at the UK dive show and now another WR

Anna, not a bad competitiono then eh?
MiG- I am blown away! that is a hell of a dive well done!

I am afraid that there is no wifi here Panos, so you may struggle to update...

Lots of people arriving now and pretty good conditions. I am a little hot in a 5mm suit, burt I am told that my new 3mm one will turn up soon!

Well done to all the divers in 3depth. After 3 years and a bit out of diving it is very cool to come to a big comp and see such amazing results!

Good luck to everyone for the worlds

Congratulations to Sara !
Congratulation to Anna ,Wendy ,Seamus and all national records
As cebastian said in a previous post,william trubridge did one of the deepest dives ever with bi- fins ,and probably the DEEPEST DIVE EVER WITH PLASTIC BI FINS !!
A "Cressi Gara constant weight" competition could be a good idea in the future !

Hey ,no one mentioned how was the organization, the safety,etc.
Probably Linda,Lotta and Peter had to work very hard.
Congrat to them !!

Monica

Hey everyone!

The dust is starting to settle on all the excitement of the weekend and I thought I'd take a few moments to thank EVERYONE on DB for their fabulous messages. Of course my achievements still haven't sunk in, but every note brings it home a little more each time, which is a great feeling!

I know there are a lot of baffled people out there (me among them) wondering how on earth I did what I did. Well, I'm sorry to say there are no magic training techniques that I can share with you. I'm a Kundalini Yoga teacher and for sure the years of yoga, meditation and pranayama have helped enormously. The meditation leading up to the comp and twice a day during it helped me more than I can say! Beyond that, guess it must be my clean living ;-) and magic legs! And perhaps I have a super-stretchy diaphragm. If anyone knows of any doctors doing research on freediving at the moment, I will willing sacrifice my body to science as I'm as curious as everyone else to find out how on earth I did it.

If I had to pick one single best moment of the competition, I'm not sure I could. Being at 90m and still having air was pretty amazing, the first white card after my FIM dive was very emotional, completing the surface protocol at the end of my CWT dive when I was really on my limit was simply amazing, and then doing the hat trick and getting the third record was more than anything I could have ever expected. And of course the after-competition party, getting my medals and being congratulated by soooo many people. It's been awesome.

I'm now taking some time to chill out in Dahab, rest and recover, before heading down to Sharm for a couple more training sessions and then the Worlds. No idea what I'm going to announce there, I'll just see how I feel, but having the three World Records already has taken the pressure of somewhat, which is a great feeling. I'm going to enjoy the hotel, laze by the pool and have fun! Can't wait to see everyone there!

Finally, a small word of thanks to everyone who helped me to make it happen along the way. Linda Paganelli and Lotta Ericson, my first teachers, and who have put on two great competitions and one record attempt at the Blue Hole since April, where I've managed to set a total of nine national records and three world records. Thanks also to all the fabulous freedivers I been able to train with, and pick their brains for tips, the combination of which has obviously worked :). All the safety divers, especially Peter P and Johan who were with me on all three of my dives and gave me the peace of mind in my final ascents to make it those last crucial metres to the surface. To Will Trubridge and Anna von Boetticher for being great training partners these past few weeks, Will Winram for coaching me on my CWT dive and getting me through the surface protocol, not to mention his endless stream of jokes and stories, Pat Schnorf, Dave Mullins, Rob and Deron from the US, all the British guys here and at Salt Free, Dave Tranfield for advice on monofin technique ;-), Mark Harris for working unexpectedly all weekend doing great work with the press... the list is endless. Peter Ericson and his crew of safety divers, filmers, timers, coordinators, made the biggest ever Triple Depth also the BEST!!! And what about all those National Records too... Awesome!!!!

Onwards and upwards - or should I say downwards... Just over a week until the Worlds kicks off and then we switch to a different thread and hopefully can report great news all over again!

Big hugs from Dahab,

xxxxx
Sara

Congratulations Sara on one of the greatest accomplishments in the history of the sport...! A great inspiration to everyone.

Concerning the 'why' or 'how', you mentioned you are a kundalini yoga instructor. If you have awakened your kundalini, that would explain a lot, as such a person has an insurmountable advantage while freediving.... too bad it is so hard to accomplish!

If anyone knows of any doctors doing research on freediving at the moment, I will willing sacrifice my body to science as I'm as curious as everyone else to find out how on earth I did it.

I am sure the Swedish scientists would love to get their hands on you. During WC last year and Nordic Deep, they did tests and shared their findings with us, it was very interesting. Definitely do it if you get the chance. See e.g. Summary of results

EEEK - forgot a MAJOR thank you in my long list - THE JUDGES!!!! Jen and Sue from Hurghada, so lovely to see you both again and thanks for your calm presence in the water! And Bill who spent seven hours in the water every day, and was hugely supportive of my attempts (once he realised my announcements weren't a joke!!!).

Eric - guess my Kundalini is awake, alive and kicking! It took four years of practice but was SOOO well worth the effort!

See you all in Sharm on Friday,

Big hugs from a very peaceful and freediver-free Dahab
xxxx
Sara

Anyone in the UK ( or abroad with access to UK newspapers ) - there should be an article about Sara in the Times sports section tomorrow, and in the Saturday Times Body & Soul.

The Press ( not the BFA Press Officer! ) have been dragging their heels this week, but seem to be waking up now.

Also an article in yesterday's Daily Mail.

There should also be a news piece appearing in the free London 'Sport' paper tomorrow - Friday 25th. Preview today in the Good Week / Bad Week column. Sara, your news makes the Good Week section :D ... freediving Londoners, get your copy on the streets!

Looking at her published personal bests , it is in urgent need for an update ;-)

Hey Glenny

You're right and I'm working on it now... A quick question to anyone who was at Triple Depth - I'm looking for photos of the comp, and in particular any pics of me in or out of the water. If you've got anything good that you don't mind me using, I'd really appreciate it if you could send them to me at sara@sarafreediver.com.

Thanks everso much

big hugs from Sharm, where I'm resting well :)
xx
Sara

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT