• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

UK Petrol Prices - ESSO and BP boycott.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
whether there are wars or not, i personally believe that oil prices will continue to rise due to the supply and demand..
That's for sure, very understandable, and I have absolutely no problem with it. What I questioned were not the rising prices, but the abruptly rising profits. That's entirely another matter. And it is quite clear that they do it deliberately (frankly, who would not use the opportunity to gain more money when there is one). I remember quite well, how negative news about oil supplies start to cumulate all in the same time in the news after certain time - for example after Katrina, it was announced that most of the Mexican Gulf drills are damaged (although it was just a BS), and in the same time they announced the northern pipeline is so damaged and need long term repairs. Although experts knew about the pipe situation since years, they simply waited for the best moment to announce it and drive so the market crazy, which indeed happened. I could go on, but it won't change the situation - finally it is business, so they simply do anything to make it better. The moral has no place in the big business, and you should not expect it there.

You have three possibilities how to handle it, either you just ignore it and go on filling their pockets, or you join the obscure side and buy their stock so that you have some kick back from it too, or you try to limit your oil consumption and look for alternative sources of energy even if it initially costs you slightly more, or is less comfortable.

The price of fuel have always been increasing, and every time people complain and say that they are going to save fuel and do this and that. But not before long every one gets used to the new price and forgets what that they were going to save fuel and drive there bicycle to work.

I have seen a very similar chain letter like that in South Africa as well. It is just the oil companies and the prices that change, and nothing ever happens from it.

Hi, this morning going to work I paid £1.02 a litre for my diesel. I also received the email below this morning...I know it's all speculative but anything that cuts my transport costs is worth a go for a while?

SurfnSpear I am glad You started this thread, it affects everybody now. There is easy fix to You frustration, You got diesel so why don't You convert it to run on waste vegetable oil and ride it for free with the same or better performance. Diesel cars are the way to go no matter what fuel prices. I don't understand "green" people buying ugly Prius when for the same money You can have nice car like TDI Passat, Jetta, Golf or old Mercedes. You get 35-40+ MPG right away which is over three times less than typical American V8 gets and You still have nice looking car. If it's not good enough, spend $1000 and it runs on VO You get for free from the restaurant.
I totally agree that high gas price is better for the planet. It's not so good for average hard working people getting to work everyday. Predictions for US are $4/gallon in 2008 and soon after that we may eventually get even with Europe at $6/gallon.

If anybody is planning to change their car soon it should not be V8 or even V6 gas. I encourage my friends to get diesels but the time is NOW, they are quite expensive now but will get even more expensive soon. My first car was old Mercedes diesel with 300k miles and also the most dependable car I ever had. My turbodiesel Sprinter is gonna be converted to vegetable oil next year as soon as warranty expires. It will cost me maybe 10cents/gallon and will be cleaner than Prius (no sulfur, lower CO2, no green house gases)

Greasecar Vegetable Fuel Systems

Plus, it will smell like french fries when your driving down the road!:inlove

One of our local pizza joints converted their delivery cars over to veggie oil so they can burn their own waste.

I tried to talk my in-law into converting one of his charter boats over to that as it would help to ease sea sickness if you were smelling fried chicken instead of diesel fuel.

Jon

SurfnSpear I am glad You started this thread, it affects everybody now.

Come on man, not everybody, if Sara and Sikwan can go off road fo few cents then I am sure the rest of their nation has no complaints either.

And You're right Jon, it does smell like french fries or chicken but I guess most people can live with it as long as they save so much money. I can, especially that exaust is far from me, all the way back there at the other side of my van (that's far) it's the driver behind me to wonder "where's that restaurant?":)

Nostres, don't quote Your own posts, psycho

Last edited:
Come on man, not everybody, if Sara and Sikwan can go off road fo few cents then I am sure the rest of their nation has no complaints either.

And You're right Jon, it does smell like french fries or chicken but I guess most people can live with it as long as they save so much money. I can, especially that exaust is far from me, all the way back there at the other side of my van (that's far) it's the driver behind me to wonder "where's that restaurant?":)

Nostres, don't quote Your own posts, psycho

hey that's MARwan not SIKwan...

"sik"wan is the one who is feeling sick at the petrol prices rofl rofl

great I luv the bio fuel approch! lets just sell off our food croplands to the oil companies. I feel a lot safer now the rest of our world markets start waring over food!

let's all do as maytag does and walk around unlicensed !!!roflrofl

JUST KIDDING
icon10.gif
bad day. bad joke. sorry.
icon9.gif

Hi, this morning going to work I paid £1.02 a litre for my diesel...[/SIZE]
Cheap! Lowest petrol round here is currently £1.07 a litre (= $2.13 a litre = $8.07 per US gallon - Blair's real legacy. How much you guys paying over there?) -- we now DREAM of the days back when fuel was ONLY 1.02 a litre! And, just when you think things can't get any worse, the do;). I remember being horrified when I returned to the UK once to find fuel at 44p a litre. It's what the people want though: the govt. keeps raising fuel prices and the people keep voting for them, so it is the will of the people:duh I guess there hasn't been enough pain yet.
great I luv the bio fuel approch! lets just sell off our food croplands to the oil companies. I feel a lot safer now the rest of our world markets start waring over food!
Ah, the law of unintended consequences. Reported on BBC Radio 4yesterday afternoon - world rice prices are expected to increase by 50% in the next 12 months. Time to get a shotgun.

If fuel price increase much more, the Californians might have lower the thermostats on their outdoor heated pools a couple of degrees.:D

Last edited:
My turbodiesel Sprinter is gonna be converted to vegetable oil next year as soon as warranty expires. It will cost me maybe 10cents/gallon and will be cleaner than Prius (no sulfur, lower CO2, no green house gases)
You`re a little late boys !:inlove
I driving on used vegie oil with my truck and my private car (Merc.Binz Ambulance) allready for 3 years :D , I only visit the pump, when I need some air for the wheels .:)
I have 2 sources, where I pick up the oil (free), I let it settle for 2-3 weeks and then I filter it roughly through some rayon, the rest does my "diesel-filter", which I clean every 2 month.Still have 1100l reserves, but I can store up to 2500 l.
Both engines are OM 616/240D mercedes engines, a little higher injektion-pressure (135 bar ) and 1,5 -2 degree pre-injektion then regular and they are optimized for vegie-oil. The "newer" merc. modells (until 97 -200/250/300) running well on veg-oil too .
My wife drives on half price, LPG ( no oil-tax ), the kit was only 400 Euro , needed only 3 days to builded it in.
umbau.jpg

I received an e-mail about an boycot these days too, rather ridiculous, if you know that nearly 70 % off the fuel-prices are taxes(Ger)

Last edited:
Great idea, huh? Burning food as fuel?

Actually burning food would be BAD idea and it would (does) add to global hunger problem.

Running diesel on veg. oil is way BETTER idea - it's burning WASTE, not food

Great idea, huh? Burning food as fuel?

Yeah Farrang how could you be so evil, starving the poor of the world? Get yourself some proper fuel, petrol, & support the free people of the world in the Middle East and Russia, like the rest of us. Also pay for some fuel & pay some fuel tax - can't you see how happy and fullfilling it makes the rest of us feel?rofl

Could you turn fat politicians into biofuel? We have loads and they waste a tremendous amount of our resources, so nobody would miss them.

[The world population is too high and it's increasing rapidly. Until the politicians start talking and doing something about it, all efforts will be futile. Then again, nature has its way of deal with such things too.:(].

...and soon it will become cheaper to eat hydrocarbon instead of carbohydrates...
Rising pasta prices create panic in Italy - Nov. 15, 2007
Now look what you've done Farrang! Our lovely Italian friends will starve because of your evil biofuel and then, and then, and then - no more Elios wetsuits:inlove, no more Omer spearing products:vangry, no Seatecsub Gabiannos, no more Cressi Comanches, no more Seacsub Combat gear,... no more spaghetti and meat balls! Next you'll be telling us you are deforesting the last remaining orangutang habitat to grow oil palms for your, your, your "BIO-FUEL".

[I suppose this means the govt. will soon start encouraging everybody to eat more fish and chips so we can recycle the (very) old oil into bio-diesel;)]

Last edited:
Reactions: spaghetti
There is an interesting report on the current TIME magazine about bio fuels, the crop building is taking down the jungle in Brazil. Brazil is big on bio fuels however we a the 4th contry in carbon emissions. In the time magazine there is picture of what used to be jungle now a big crop, very sad.

There is an interesting report on the current TIME magazine about bio fuels, the crop building is taking down the jungle in Brazil. Brazil is big on bio fuels however we a the 4th contry in carbon emissions. In the time magazine there is picture of what used to be jungle now a big crop, very sad.
Yes, I remember seeing a picture, maybe 20 or 30 years ago, of an alcohol (alcool?) powered motorbike in Brazil. Man I hope they stop cutting the rain forest - Brazil owns the "lungs of the world" there. If that goes, we'll all be in deep do do.

Here we go again, a one, two, three:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgMEPk6fvpg&feature=related]YouTube - big yellow taxi - joni mitchell in concert 1970[/ame]
Or something a little newer:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgrTZDxJNFg]YouTube - COUNTING CROWS - Big Yellow Taxi[/ame]

X

I think the rain forest is doomed ! I am not saying that with a happy face but it will happen.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT