• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Understanding waxlips

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There've been numerous posts about (...) a host of other really personal conditions.

Machismo in cold water being one of them. But this one is a harder one, no pun intended. ;)

So Fond how d'you think the forum staff should deal with this let's call it "situation"?

Reactions: Salehthefish
You can see the reaction of forum members on here - for the most part it's like "oh" when they heard they had asperger's and then after a little explanation "ah!". Whereas before that it was more like 'F&^%^&%!!'

Offending people is a huge problem for asperger configured persons. This forum, with all the second language and generally ...well...freedivers - is way more tolerant than most.

What I'm saying - based on my experience - is that some folks with asperger's will definitely really rub you the wrong way if you don't know whats up. Its sort of on the outside edge of even the pretty extended conversational envelope we have going here on DB.

Its good if at least the moderators have some understanding of it.

People who have it are generally pretty up front about it.

Wonderful, painful, humbling, informative thread, only on DB do you find such stuff.

My brother-in-law has aspergers, brilliant guy, Phd rocket scientist type (I'm dead serious).

This explains a lot.

Just an aside. Waxlips has dredged up some very interesting old threads, worth checking out.

Connor

Last edited:
I was hoping you'd chime in, Connor :)

If you guys read little Dragonfly's posts here - you can see that Asperger's Individuals (AIs she calls them) consider themselves a type of person.

Fact is quite a few really famous people in history were probably in the range.

Its not some private affliction that we should avoid discussing. Nearly 1% of all children in the US fall into the autism/aspergers spectrum. It needs to be talked about and understood.

Neither is it sacred cow (or moose) we should tip toe around - asperger's individuals can learn to emulate social skills and tone down some of what they say. We all just need to know it's extremely difficult for them and tweak our assumptions a little.

I think just having this thread as a reference - with all its ups and downs - is fantastic - and yet another extremely cool thing about this forum.

Hats off to everyone who's participated.

I guess this will sound insensitive, but I question how a forum populated by "neurotypical" divers can be expected to adjust to accommodate members with autism or Apsberger's?
Bill, it is not about making exceptions, and tolerating intolerable behaviour. It is about understanding. Likely most of us did not understand what's going up with all those waxlips' posts - all alike. And certainly many of us felt irritated, and suspected some malicious or pervert goal behind all this. So understanding what is behind it, was for example pretty important for myself. It does not mean we have to tolerate it, but understanding that waxlips behaviour is not hostile or malicious is important, and can help everyone coping with it in calm.

That's exactly why I started this thread. Better told I just copied my message from another thread where I tried to calm down the emotions, which started to be a bit too heated.

I'm not liking this discussion as a whole.
Discussing in public the health problems of two persons (!) probably far beyond their own will to have their personal health problems to be discussed in public, is something that I reject totally.
Spago, first of all I would not start discussing it, if it was not waxlips himself who openly told it (and later Lil Dragonfly too). And then, many autistic people do not wish that we consider autism a "health problem". They even lobby for recognizing it as a difference, and not a disorder.

I find nothing wrong in discussing it publicly, and think it helps everyone to understand each other better :)

PS: funny enough, I just finished watching the TV - there was the movie Snow Cake, exactly on this topic.

Sheesh........ what a thread!

I've only two points to make.

1) Discussion about the mental health of third parties online in a public forum is completely unacceptable. Individuals can be traced relatively easily based on the content they have posted here and in other forums (under the same alias - try it!) or using the same meta data such as yahoo, AOL, skype or aim contact details.

Furthermore, discussion about 'normal' third parties cognitive abilities is unethical at best but discussion of the cognitive abilities of people with cognitive disabilities is in some places beyond that. Remember what you say now will remain in the ether even if the admins lock or delete. A seemly innocent comment now when an individual is happy may have a different interpretation when they are depressed.

Finally, discussion of the cognitive ability of people with cognitive disability online is like attacking someone who cannot defend themselves. Even if if they seem to be agreeable... its not sure whether you are taking advantage of them or not in the given situation. I.e. can they represent themselves adequately?
A generic discussion about cognitive disabilities without names would be a far safer topic than discussion on an individual's 'reported' condition.... as it is only the 'report' and cannot be verified easily online.

2) Discussion about cognitive processing and ability should be 100% limited to 'experts' or people who have studied this area of cognitive science, espcially when talking about specific individuals and then only when the full history and symptoms are known. Having a [insert brother / firend / cousin etc] does not make individuals expert's. The negative affects of heresay on misdiagnosis and even the self confidence of the individual (regardless of how they portray themselves online) is much greater than any intrinsic satisfaction any of the posters here may feel. Think long and hard before you post.

For what its worth my comments are not about anyone in particular.
I am quite happy to tackle people aggressively about what they write in a public forum… its fair game… but presuming their mental status and having a discussion with other strangers about it (even if well intentioned) is a bit crass! And there is only one way it will end…

Folks - this thread isn't really contributing to our diving forum and community. Whilst it has highlighted some valuable discussion we have discussed this as staff and decided to close this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT