• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

USAA National Competition: Official Announcement

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

nekton711

Mar 12, 2004
The United States Apnea Association is pleased to officially announce that it will be hosting a National Competition from July 10th through July 12th, 2004. The competition will take place near Los Angeles, California. Dynamic Apnea will be held on Saturday July 10th, Static Apnea on Sunday July 11th, and Constant Ballast on Monday July 12th. Constant Ballast will be held off of Catalina Island. Conditions are expected to be similar to those expected for the World competition in Canada.

All AIDA rules and regulations will apply, and lanyards will be required for Constant Ballast. Currently, there is no depth limit planned. This event will be open for National Record attempts, but not for World Record attempts. Team selection for World’s will take place following this competition. Selection will be based on performance in Static and Constant Ballast. For more information on the team selection criteria, please contact USAA.

Anyone who wants to compete is welcome! There are no minimum performance requirements. In order to join us for the competition though, you will need to become a member of USAA and have proof of either DAN membership with Master Insurance or above, or PADI Gold or Platinum Insurance.

The entry fee is $240 US and will cover competition related expenses. Athletes are expected to make their own travel and accommodation arrangements.

For more information, to join USAA and/or to register for our National competition, please visit the USAA website at http://usaa.freedivers.com

As I have not covered all the details of the competition in this announcement, I am sure folks will have questions! To get answers, please visit the website, contact USAA, drop me an e-mail, or post them here. USAA members receive updates and additional information through USAA's group e-mail lists, so it will likely serve you well to join soon. We’ll do our best to keep folks informed, and please don’t hesitate to contact any of us at USAA with questions.

We are looking forward to seeing you soon!

Happy Diving!

Jen Housley
USAA Board of Directors- Secretary
California
housleyj@sbcglobal.net

hi

The competition will take place near Los Angeles, California?

Hi.... Are you planing on doing that in NY too???

so someone living on the east coast is expected to drop 2 grand for the privilege to try out?

-m2

Daniel,

Due to limited resources we are only able to hold one competition this year, and that is the one to select the national team to represent the US at Worlds. Next year there are plans for more regional competitions so stay tuned.

M2,

If next year's Nationals is held in Florida, folks in Hawaii will not be happy. Likewise, if it is held in Hawaii, you will be even unhappier. So let's face it, geography is a problem with a country with a large span such as ours (5 time zones from Florida to Hawaii) and always will be.

USAA have members living in far flung places such Alaska, Hawaii, and even in Germany, so we are all painfully aware of how to make the competition process fair and equitable for everyone. One option is to use results obtained from other AIDA-sanctioned competition, although the distribution hasn't been agreed upon yet. So this year's Nationals is where it is because it is easiest on the largest number of organizers and potential competitors.

If you wish the Nationals to be held on the east coast, the easiest (and certainly cheapest) way to do so is to become a member and lobby like any other member will!;)

Peter S.

As far I as know right now, we will be taking a ferry out to Catalina and diving off one of the boats based there at the island.

In short M-2, the answer to your question is yes. And Neshamah, perhaps in future years, but not as of now. Unfortunately, we are not quite big enough to offer competitions on both coasts this year. Our goal for upcoming years is to have regional competitions that will take place on each coast, and then possibly alternate the location of Nationals each year between the two coasts. This isn't written in stone yet, but that is at least what some folks are thinking at this time.

We spent a great deal of time determining what would be the fairest approach for the majority of people, and have thus ended up with what we have to offer this year. This year will work a bit differently from future years - because we can't hold regionals this year, and due to the timing of our Nationals, USAA has decided to allow scores from other AIDA sanctioned nationals to be submitted and considered along-side scores from US Nationals with respect to team selection. In upcoming years, results from non-US AIDA sanctioned Nationals will weigh considerably less into selection criteria for the US team than they do this year.

One of the US's largest assests (its size) can also work against us at times. However, I think that time, patience and member involvement will help us offer more geographically varied events in the future. Members efforts will play a large role in where competitions are held, so if you are interested in helping to organize a local competition in your area, or a regional competition in upcoming years, please contact USAA with your thoughts.

Jen

Any new info on where and how in Catalina?

FYI for anyone in So. Cal. conditions for the last few days
conditions have been the best they have been in a year!

Last edited:
future event

OK Peter and Jen,,,, in the future but please don't take to long for that competition because Im geeting old jajajaj

Well I have a idea for the future even in NY:

for constant competition it coud be hold in pensylvania where are a group of freediver there trainin i a lake-- for dinamic with fins and not fins you can do it in Manhatan Ny-- they have a 50 m pool-- very expesive-

also I talk to my amiga Rosibel about you- a cuban girl that is living in thampa now- she has tree national record in cuba

incluyendo 105 m not fins when the actual world record is 100 I think so so please USSA get in contact with her- for the future event-

saludos Just a idea

Daniel.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT