• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Username misunderstanding. Sorry

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I think it is best to use real names where possible, but the reason I don't use my real name is because I don't want everyone to be able to find out what I am doing via Google searches.

I keep hearing that, so I just Googled Bill McIntyre. I found that there are some very important and influential people named Bill McIntyre, but unfortunately I am not among them.

Hit number 12 was my Deeper Blue profile.

Hit number 31 referred to my contribution to the DB thread "Dummy’s Guide to Rigging a Speargun."

Hit #43 referred to a post that mentioned my name on Spearfishing.com,

Hit #52 referred to one of my posts on DB.

Hit #75 referred to a photo of me with a fish on Daryl Wong's website.

I lost interest and quit looking after the first 110 hits out of thousands, but it seems that if someone wanted to find out what I was doing my Googling my name and was able to sort me out from all the other guys with the same name, he would find out I'm spearfishing.

I'm not trying to hide that.

For 11 years I've been on Freedivelist where the rules require that I sign each post with my first and last name and city of residence, and I am not aware of any adverse consequences for me or anyone else on that list.

But maybe my luck will run out and a group of voracious young women will hunt me down and have their way with me.

Hope springs eternal.

rofl rofl rofl
I just Googled my name, and there were 6 results, of which 5 were me and those were all freediving-related. rofl

Golliwogs were a popular & much loved toy and children's character when I was young. Collecting the various versions (with musical instruments, etc.)from Roberstons jam & marmalade was popular, as you could exchange them for metal & enamel golly badges (probably quite valuable now). Things have moved on.

Just looked up Golliwog in the OED & it says, perhaps, derived from Golly + Polliwog (polliwog is an obscure name for tadpoles, which I have come across at least once before). The American Dictionary.com claims a more specific origin for Golliwog:

[Origin: 1890–95; after the name of a doll in an illustrated series of children's books by Bertha Upton (d. 1912), U.S. writer, and Florence Upton (d. 1922), illustrator]​
Wonka might get you in as much trouble here though!;)

Welcome to our world James!:D (Should have gone with the unabbreviated polywog/polliwog;))

Hey There Mr. X

Thanks, your the second person to bring that up. Do people where you live all have an understanding of the negative overtones of this term and is it still used as such?
Never heard of Golliwogs or wonka (only Willy), We Americans have our own derogatory heritage that we try to forget------ or exploit depending on our I.Q.

You bare a striking resemblance to a young Sean Connery ie...Thunderball 1965.:martial I'd bet that GB doesn't stand for Green Bay Wisconsin either. See, anonymity doesn't pay Sean or Mr. X or whatever your real name is.:hmm:confused:roflo

See yarofl

Reactions: Mr. X
Hey There Mr. X

Thanks, your the second person to bring that up. Do people where you live all have an understanding of the negative overtones of this term and is it still used as such?
Never heard of Golliwogs or wonka (only Willy), We Americans have our own derogatory heritage that we try to forget------ or exploit depending on our I.Q.

You bare a striking resemblance to a young Sean Connery ie...Thunderball 1965.:martial I'd bet that GB doesn't stand for Green Bay Wisconsin either. See, anonymity doesn't pay Sean or Mr. X or whatever your real name is.:hmm:confused:roflo

See yarofl
roflYes, I'm in England & we probably invented the innocent & derogatory version of the words discussed. Wonka sounds similar to another English word.

RE. SC, yes uncanny isn't it.rofl (I wish!)
Oh James!!!!!!!!!! :chatup :inlove
In the words of Kenneth Connor: Phwoor(Didn't realise he'd died, long time ago too, pity).

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT