• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Vertical Blue 2008

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Big AP for Will tomorrow, going for the 84m CNF.

There are a few freedivers back in NZ who will be holding our breath in anticipation.

Luck probably has little to do with it but Good Luck anyhow Will.

Having a great time so far in the thick of things. What a great bunch of people!

Tomorrow lots of exciting dives planned. Dave going deeper again, Eric 58 FRC, Christian 70m CNF, and more...

Eric likes my Chen Bin and has stolen it.

I'll have a full report tomorrow evening (Bahamanian time) + interviews with Dave M, Ryuzo, and others. I was also considering a gonzo-reportage at the open air bar across the road (I can hear people laughing loudly right now).

What would you all like to know more about?

Now I am going to nurse my silly-Canadian sunburns (I really did use a lot of sunscreen!) on my feet and hands and neck, of course.

Pete

Has anyone dived frc in an AIDA comp before? If so what depths and who? Cant wait to hear how you go Eric.

To my knowledge only two FRC dives have been done in a competition, both by me in 2007 (57m May 2007, one white card and one red card for airway, and 48m in July 2007 with a yellow card, after I aborted on a 58m dive because the 9C water with no suit created a strange feeling on my heart, as I had less 'air' in my lungs to insulate my heart from the cold).

Here at Vertical Blue 2008 the first few days were really hard, trying to adjust to the warm water. The dive reflex was just not happening. Very frustrating. Finally I managed to get an okay dive reflex by doing a series of extreme negative pressure dives and switching to dive with no goggles, no nose clip and no suit.

Thanks for the regular updates, this is one of the coolest competitions ever.

National and World records are of course cool, congratulations to everyone! But I'm especially interested to see how far Eric can push the FRC boundry. There's not much more gear you can loose...You are wearing a speedo I hope?

What's the deepest unofficial FRC CWT dive? Murat I presume?

Pete - but was it waterproof sunscreen? ;)
After a bit of aloe and lots of water you will be good as new!

Thanks for all the update and beautiful pics everyone, good luck, stay safe and keep having fun!

As suggestions for questions:

- How are people dealing with the narcosis?

- How is are athletes coping with the competition nerves?

- A lot of innovative new approaches are being used, like noseclip only, FRC, new materials, no suit, sinusflooding, how did these change your dives?

- As athletes are now creeping up to their current personal limits, is the sharing of freediving insights and the typical supportive freediving teamspirit affected?

- Is Deans Blue hole the place for the next World Championship?

From the reports I've seen Dean's Blue hole is a pretty sacret and stunning freediving destiny, a true Dean's Blue Holy?

Love, Courage and Water,

Kars

Whilst I love the sight of 300 freedivers decending on somewhere for a week or 2, I think part of the beauty of the comp at Dean's Blue Hole is it's intimacy.

Eric, good luck on you amazing FRC dive. Keep it safe
Will go for it. Hope you enjoy every centimeter of the dive al the way down and up as much as you can

I had the pleasure of spotting everyone today.

Unofficial results:

Will Trubridge- new WR in no fins 84m. Solid!

Eric did 58m FRC, new pb, no tag because he didn't want to waste time trying to find it with no mask on. Had plenty of air to spare in both respects.

Kathryn did an awesome 44m no fins. Megumi FIM 56m (I think), Leo 66m FIM. Frank Pernett 38m CNF all good.

Dave Mullins red card for 111m but made it to the surface even though he was severely narked and didn't complete the SP in time. More on that tonight when I post the article. Kerian turned at 61m, Christian turned at 20m or so because of lightheadedness.

Beautiful day at the hole, viz is clearing up.

More a little later on...

Pete

Thanks the update Laminar, well done everybody! The first Wr is here, and keep up the good work William (I predicted 85m), I hope three more is comming soon...:)

Congrats to Will! But, like Balazs said, I predicted 85m,and I really want that t-shirt ;-D

Thanks for the updates, Laminar.

you beat me to it Pete, but here are a few snaps:

Attachments

• FrankNR_Day4.jpg
    FrankNR_Day4.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 216
  • Will_WRDay4.jpg
    Will_WRDay4.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 174
  • Kathryn_Day4.jpg
    Kathryn_Day4.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 176
  • FrankAndFam_Day4.jpg
    FrankAndFam_Day4.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 251
Seriously brilliant stuff guys, well done to all, especially the NR holders Frank, Kathryn Megumi but especially to Will for a hard earned world record (nice to say hello on skype too by the way).

I really hope that Dave can overcome the narcosis issues and finish off these brilliant dives.

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow, go Will W!

Ryuzo's video: I'm the bloke with the pink snorkel and the very retro fins...

Good work by Trubridge: world record and organizer! He says:"I had taken four days off from my training and preparation to get the competition up on its wheels". If he was not the organizer he would probably had wore himself out with too deep dives all the way up to the end.
It feels like the record is where it belongs, Will has had his eyes on this record for so many years.
William W announced 85m for tomorrow!
Did I see a W at the end. He is so entertaining W.W. I wish him health and strength for the dive.

What an amazing dive by Mullins - what happens when he gets it right?
William Trubridge News

Who´s judging?

Sebastian
More info on DBH:
deans blue hole

Last edited:
Huge congratulations to Will first and foremost, and all the other wonderful divers setting national records and PBs by the submarine load!

Keep safe,

Guy

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT