• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Vertical Blue 2009

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

trux

~~~~~
Dec 9, 2005
I am just copying the press release that Ryuzo published on his website, but I guess DB received it too, and will publish it on the DB front page soon too:
From April 1-11, 2009 Vertical Blue will once again hold its annual invitational Freediving competition in Dean’s Blue Hole, Bahamas.
The event will host the biggest names in the sport, with world champions and world record holders competing to test the limits of the human capacity for depth on a single breath.
Dean’s Blue Hole is the deepest blue hole in the world, at 203 meters (660 feet), and the 21 invited athletes will be descending to over half that distance in their attempt to be crowned the world’s deepest man/woman.
The 2008 edition of Vertical Blue was heralded as “the most successful freediving event” with 5 new world records and 23 national records being broken.

In 2009 athletes will once again compete in three disciplines of freediving:
Constant Weight: the diver descends and ascends with fins or a monofin. The current world records are 113m (370ft) for men and 95m (311ft) for women
Unassisted: the diver cannot use any fins or propulsion equipment of any kind, and descends and ascends with a kind of adapted breaststroke. The current world records are 86m (282ft) for men and 60m (196ft) for women.
Free Immersion: the diver uses the rope to pull themselves down and up. Current world records are 108m (354ft) for men and 85m (279ft) for women.

Some of the athletes who will compete this year include:
Herbert Nitsch: 23 world records in freediving, “greatest freediver ever”
William Trubridge: current world record holder in unassisted and free immersion.
Sara Campbell: set world records in all 3 disciplines over 3 days in 2007. Her records have since been broken, and she is in training to get them back.
Ryuzo Shinomiya: Japanese freediving champion
William Winram: pan-American freediving champion
Kathryn McPhee: NZ freediving female champion and world record holder
Jana Strain: US freediving female champion

regular updates will be uploaded to the Vertical Blue news page

For more information, or for images, contact William Trubridge at:
will@verticalblue.net
+1242 3376114

Head over to William Trubridge News to see the athlete profiles.
For 2009 we have 21 athletes, so expect even more action from Dean's Blue Hole.

Also we will soon open a viewers' competition where entrants can make predictions for a chance to win a Suunto D4 depth computer and official team shirt.

Stay tuned...

Will, is this competition only for invited freedivers or is it open? I ask because I see relatively few European freedivers (and there are many very deep ones among them), so I wonder whether it is primarily because of the distance and travelling costs, or simply because many of them were not invited.

Also a pity Dave Mullins is not there this year

Me, too!

There will be much joy in the Blue Hole, methinks, for 2009.

Great job once again putting this together, Will.

Pete

That's some damn serious quality in the field there. With the hole clearing up I think we're in for some serious dives over the next week!

Me, too!

There will be much joy in the Blue Hole, methinks, for 2009.

Great job once again putting this together, Will.

Pete

Pete will you provide us with the amazing daily coverage you did last year? so we all feel like we are present?

:thankyou

kp

photos from today and new top times for tomorrow up on the Vertical Blue news page

The mens and women's Constant Weight world records will both be under fire tomorrow.

great images, glad to see the blue hole has put it on for the comp. good luck to everyone diving tomorrow.

DD

Pete will you provide us with the amazing daily coverage you did last year? so we all feel like we are present?

:thankyou

kp

Unfortunately, no. I'm ensconced in rainy and cold Vancouver, busy with work. So, I'm eager for news, as well. I'm hoping the competitors will have time to post their reflections either here or on their blogs.

So glad the bh cleared up. It is an astonishing place when it is clear like that. Just mesmerizing.

And of course the tarpon like it, too. They get the best seat in the house.

It's actually 400m. Silly typo.

He's doing a hang at 40m in part to get used to the competition routine again.

Lots of other stuff going on, but I'll let him share that info himself.

I know what his goals are - but we'll wait and see.

He's in wicked shape right now.... I've seen him train and know what he's been doing.

:martial

Do the math on a 3'15 dive time and you'll get a sense of his goals. You can consider FRC and inhale...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT