• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Vertical Blue 2009

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I knew this FRC fad wouldn't last, it's VHS vs Beta all over again...

ps. Man that joke shows my age...

You guys have it all wrong.

There are two Erics at VB 2009.

Eric and Evil Eric.

Eric is diving FRC and hopes to break some national records. Evil Eric wants him to break a world record this year and 100m at VB. After midnight when Evil Eric takes over (and after a couple of hours at the strip club) he writes slogans in his own blood all over his bedroom walls: inhale.... inhale....inhale!!!!!!

We'll see which Eric prevails at VB. I have my money on Eric.

Of course, there's Satanic Eric and he actually packs! :vangry

Helloooo

We are just sitting here waiting for not only results but details. Suits, kicks to freefall, amount of weight, number of packs, bottom times, water temp, wind direction, strategies, methods, last words before descent, judges behaviour...

And this FRC Eric, isnt that smart, breath out for years and then start inhaling. We have a guy in our club doing that, after a MURAT course back in 2005 he juts stop inhaling. Now a few weeks ago he started inhaling and bang: he turned at 150 dyn. Its almost cheating.

Sebastian

DEMONS OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No Eric resist the urge air is the devil!!!! hahahahahahaha. besides if he does turn to inhale what then the bottom of Deans Blue Hole?

love the FRC thing did a PB the other day of 24m in a fresh water lake, going for a bit deeper this weekend and then switch to inhale and see what happens.

DD

i know its still early in the bahamas, but has anyone heard anything through the grapewine?

Info! What about Herbert and Will T? How was Sarahs SP? Details of any kind are welcome... We need someone like Linda to blog from over there... All the funny stories - the atmosphere - the gossip - the videos...
Looking forward to everything :)

Oh, and Congratualtion with the fantastisc results to all participants...! :)

Morten

Apparently, Herbert BO from packing at the surface.

Eric's got some thing to fine tune with his equipment and then he'll dive in 2-3 days for max.

oh yeah, 96m for Sara. If you do the math on body lengths, that like doing a 120m dive if you're six foot tall. Respect!

Hey, Next time I take up a collection. I'll go to VB 2010 and write a detailed report every day. In return DB members pay my airfare.

It would be a horrible job but someone has to do it. Okay, I'll do it.

Nah, have me do it. I promise naked pictures.

better yet - send us both - Then you'll see some Hemingwayesque shit..

Old Pete of The Sea

"Yar, thar she blows!" My glass empty once more. "Look at the lungs on 'im!"

Fondue squints and squints some more. "Lungs? Lungs? Goddammit, get my shotgun, we got 'gators in our hole! Breath holdin' man-gators."

In the distance a blind boy with a banjo starts to play...

We'll drink Sake, Pete, and take turns punching each-other in the face. In the morning, of course, we dive.. 'neath a fine film of vomit..

Last edited:
Some behind the scenes stuff that make this the worlds funnest event:

Walid
Leo
Frank
Me
two pole spears and a bucket

Attachments

• Leo_grouper.jpg
    Leo_grouper.jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 183
  • walid_bajadaclasica.jpg
    walid_bajadaclasica.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 183
  • pulpazo.jpg
    pulpazo.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 167
  • saliendodelagua.jpg
    saliendodelagua.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 186
Hey, Next time I take up a collection. I'll go to VB 2010 and write a detailed report every day. In return DB members pay my airfare.

It would be a horrible job but someone has to do it. Okay, I'll do it.

i will chip in and i will carry your bags for you rofl

kp

Hey everyone

Thought I'd drop in here on my day off. No idea what Herbert's up to this morning - packing black-out or 114m?!?!? He likes to keep us all guessing... I'll let you know as soon as I hear anything.

It's quiet here today, me and Eric sitting in the SLOOOOW internet room, taking it easy. He's breathing, which is a good sign, getting his lungs used to being full of air! And me? - Feel soooo happy today, a huge rush of media interest which is great for the sport. If anyone has media contacts in the US and wants to help out, please get in touch with me - sara@sarafreediver.com.

So, gossip....? Well, to be honest, it's all a bit quiet down this end of the world. Most of the entertainment is provided by Herbert driving round the island in various cars with the handbrakes on, leaving clouds of smoke behind him. Don't fly Austrian!!! Oh, and failing to catch any fish - although he'll blame that on his poles being lost in transit. Nothing whatsoever to do with Hawaiian slings being harder to use than a gun. Or is it just that there are no sharks here to shoot to relieve the boredom of competition....

No big black-outs or diving casualties so far, everyone doing good, possibly conservative, dives at this stage. Lots of PBs coming through, which is great. We need Linda for her particular brand of humour though, I'm afraid I'm not up to it - she manages to tread the line between taking the piss and pissing people off just right! Not going to take the risk as I'll probably just piss people off!!! And still want a few more white cards so, particularly where Grant and Linden are concerned, not going to go there! Everyone's great, lovely, beautiful and wonderful! No muppets here at all, anywhere, promise!

See you all
x
Sara

Reactions: spaghetti
"...another bright and foul day. the hole was so clear you had to go down 50 meters just to get some privacy.."

PS - (sumulpost) Sara. Congrats on a fabulous dive! Good news on Eric - I know he's been working on Daoist 'whole body breathing' - which can be disturbingly non-visible but may work underwater.

Last edited:
Just got a report from Eric but it's top secret!

Sara - awesome dive! Wow! A real inspiration!

I was thinking of all of you at VB during my training today in the Green Hole.

Simon! Keep the photos and the commentary coming! You're our man in Havana, now.

Okay: when you are all done with the deep dives and the safety dives, you need to ask Will T about the cave lake and giant spiders. That was going to be my exploring if I had gone this time. So, I pass the assignment on to both of you. Find the Hidden Cave of the Spider God and report back to us, please.

Last edited:
Reactions: island_sands
well done, shortie!!! you are a real deep bitch by now :)

i think we all agree that there is only one blogger that is worthy of our total fear and amazement and that is linda! as sara so well put it, she balances the piss take and the "i wanna kill you" so well!
linda, we are sending you to EACH AND ALL competitions from now on. even nascar.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT