• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Volunteers required for deep freedive project: Southern France

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Correct. Sébastien has successfully completed 150 metres, the deepest dive on record with empty lungs.

He'll keep pushing toward the world record in No Limits so stay tuned.

Cheers all

Will there be any final interviews from Sébastien now that the project is finished?

Correct. Sébastien has successfully completed 150 metres, the deepest dive on record with empty lungs.
Hm, strange, because on the French Job website, it is claimed that his PB was 195m. Why did not Seb at least equalize the PB? Were there technical problems, an injury, or simply not enough time for Seb to adapt to the depth? That would be very much understandable, seeing he did his very first deep dive to 100m only three days ago. But then, the question is why Maurice Lacroix did not prolongate the attempts a few days more? Or at least try a few meters more today? We know it is not easy at all, and that already the 150m on FRC are huge, but would like to know what the limitation was anyway.

i saw a mention on an italian forum that seb was having some problems equalizing his right ear pretty much throughout the attempt period.

well done seb and all involved. from what i understand this is very much a pb for seb and a whole new level for frc/e-diving in that his previous deep no limits dives were done on inhale+packing. (i seem to remember!)

that descent looked super fast!

Hm, strange, because on the French Job website, it is claimed that his PB was 195m. Why did not Seb at least equalize the PB? Were there technical problems, an injury, or simply not enough time for Seb to adapt to the depth? That would be very much understandable, seeing he did his very first deep dive to 100m only three days ago. But then, the question is why Maurice Lacroix did not prolongate the attempts a few days more? Or at least try a few meters more today? We know it is not easy at all, and that already the 150m on FRC are huge, but would like to know what the limitation was anyway.

i saw a mention on an italian forum that seb was having some problems equalizing his right ear pretty much throughout the attempt period.

well done seb and all involved. from what i understand this is very much a pb for seb and a whole new level for frc/e-diving in that his previous deep no limits dives were done on inhale+packing. (i seem to remember!)

that descent looked super fast!

That would be a bit odd given that he is using wet equalisation and he got down to 150m... But who knows, maybe it was hindering him in the beginning and as a result he didn't manage to do as many deep dives as he would have liked/needed.

Still 150m on FRC is pretty amazing, especially given the simplicity of the sled used!

Ps right ears are always for some reason harder to equalise! Lol

from what i understand this is very much a pb for seb and a whole new level for frc/e-diving in that his previous deep no limits dives were done on inhale+packing. (i seem to remember!)
Seb is the pioneer of the modern FRC performance freediving, and as far as I know, he dives FRC since about 10 years. 10 years ago, the NLT world record was 154m. The mark of 190m was only surpassed by Musimu in 2005 (unofficial record) and by Herbert in 2007 (official AIDA record). So it would be rather surprising that Seb had a PB of 195m with packing such a long time ago, without anyone knowing about it.

Otherwise I totally agree that 150m on empty lungs are totally amazing. I just think that it would be better reporting honestly and truly. We know how to appreciate the performances, and do not need any exagerrations, or hiding of problems. Exactly in the opposite - the performances are even more amazing if we get to know all the problems that accompany them, instead of pretending that the records are being set easily by superhumans without any troubles.

aha! sorry if got my facts wrong trux.

would be great to hear seb's account of the 150 on here once he is ready and is not worried about divulging too much info.

i have one question which is: why the move away from DRUMs? it seemed pretty failproof from past accounts.

I was aware that Murat had a NLT PB (inhale) of just short of 200m in 2002... He was also doing enormous (shallow) static hangs on the sled which were longer than the WR in static apnea at the time.

I was aware that Murat had a NLT PB (inhale) of just short of 200m in 2002...
Yes, that must be that, then. Interesting that it is so little known, when Musimu's +200m in 2005 was such a medial success despite having no official sanctioning at all, meaning that Seb's PB was not less an "official" WR than Musimu's dive. If there are any data available, I am willing to add it to the global ranking, for historical purposes. Of course, if there is a video, dive profile, or names of some epople who were present, it would be welcome, but if not I can just simply mark it as "uncofirmed" or something in that way.

Last edited:
Well Ivo I'm not sure we should start to add pb's as WR's. Before you know it we'll have obscure, unverified numbers. Think of the possible consequences. You may want to have a rumour section, to distinguish from association verified records.

I collect data and categorize them. Some are official, some not, some are obscure, others less. As long as they are categorized, and documented accordingly, I have no problems collecting even personal PB's. Finally Patrick Musimu's 209m, or the recent Herbert's 244m belong to the same category - no judges present, hence no official record. It would be a pity not having them in the database, though.

I collect data and categorize them. Some are official, some not, some are obscure, others less. As long as they are categorized, and documented accordingly, I have no problems collecting even personal PB's. Finally Patrick Musimu's 209m, or the recent Herbert's 244m belong to the same category - no judges present, hence no official record. It would be a pity not having them in the database, though.

My cousin Nick just Made a 267 nlt. Could you please add him?

Sure, just tell him to send the registration fee of 500€, and it is up there. Looks like I finally found a good business

Just to set the record straight:

Since the inception of the french job, a depth of 150m was established in training. However, in Antibes, in June, no depth greater than 70 m was achieved. It was misreported that we achieved depths of +100m, which was completely incorrect. For the tech-heads descent speed in the first 10 m (with 120kg of cast iron) was about 8 m/s. Thereafter speed was in the order of 3.4 m/s. Ascent speed was about 2.2 m/s. Heart rate dipped from about 120-130 bpm to low 30s within a few seconds and then remained at low values for the entirety of the dive and up to 20 seconds post-dive; instantaneous heart rate, based on previous trials, is expected to be substantially lower than this...maybe low 20s. As the dives were not stressful, a maximal bradycardia was not realized. There was no evidence of hypoxia- or hypercapnia-driven bradycardia in any dive. This information couldn't have been obtained without Uwatec's Galileo.

The notion of tracheal lung collapse, at least in my case, is completely refuted......sorry Fitze. Fabrizio did some no limit dives with about 110kg to about 40m and, likewise, experienced no sensations of pressure, but check with him in regards to specifics. One important discovery is that the risk of LOC and SWB seems to greatly reduced in divers with a pronounced and sustainable DR. Indeed, hypoxia tolerance increases the lower the metabolic rate.

We could give a million excuses for these shortcomings, but in the end they would only sound like excuses, so I wont bother.

The guys did the utmost to make things happen, unfortunately to no avail. A special thanks to Fabrizio...he has a big heart. Needless to say, without the light-heartedness of Marc and Guillaume (the Tabernacs) it could have been all a bit of a strain, so cheers to you. Maybe will see you on the next `job´!

I was able to obtain critical data on these dives to facilitate reaching greater depths. Finding a much more weather-sheltered location will be a critical and non-negotiable condition to reach greater depths. I'll be looking towards Italy or the Caribbean. No date has been set.

Reactions: Azrael3000
Thanks for the details, Sebastien! Finally we get some real info.

As for the choice of the site, it is true that when announcing the attempts took place in France, I was a bit surprised it was not in Nice (better told in Villefranche-sur-mer), that has a well protected deep bay, where many competitions and depth record attempts take place.

Hi all again, i'm just back at home, i wanna again say thank you to Sebastien for spending so nice words for me.
Btw going back to the topic, i can say that i've tried everything that Sebastien has suggested me and i never had a single problem, no chest pain, no lung squeeze nothing, i did 46 mt with the sled and only a little issue with my right ear has stopped me, the tube stacked a little and i equalized it just a sec after relasing the weght, unless i would have gone deeper; i didn't tried to go on wet on the sled cuz i'm still getting in confidence with it (it's only 4 days i started to pratice it) and i wanna be 100% confortable with it before tring to let water get into my sinues at the insane speed of 3.4 m/s.
For the chest pain my liittle suggestion could be doing more stretching or cheching out if you're really relaxed, since what i've seen from my courses and doing trainings, most people when try empty the first times became rigid; my liittle advice is to do good warm ups to get confortable and relaxed with empty and for avoid the lung squeeze.
If you want i can post some datas about my dives on empty, i've suunto graphics.

Reactions: Kars
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT