• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Volunteers required for deep freedive project: Southern France

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Either it's a typo or else the training dives are going better than expected... The english blog now says over 240m depth goal... Also the german blogger has put seb's current PB as 195m

Last edited:
That's what happens when money changes hands, participants need to sign a contract to ML that forbids them from communicating anything about the event.

But maybe you can ask him about the 'new' techniques Seb has come up with?

The cookies do look delicious though, kinda wish I had one of those right now...

Last edited:
Besides dramatically slowing his heart rate down and preferentially redistributing his blood oxygen stores to more vital organs, it was shown he could do actively cool his brain down by several degrees. This ability to slow his biological-clock allows him to conserve vital oxygen stores and tolerate a greater degree of oxygen deprivation than normal. The dives are being undertaken to bring attention to a new and ground-breaking biomimetic technology which, like in hibernating bears and diving seals, has the capability to induce an altered and depressed metabolic state. Specifically, the technology has far-reaching medical implications as it has the potential to treat a broad variety of major life-threatening conditions, such as, for example, stroke, cardiac arrest, seizures, brain and spinal trauma. The technology is being heralded as a potent way to control obesity since like in hibernating animals there is a shift from a reliance on predominantly carbohydrate to fat stores usage. The discovery has significant sports and fitness ramifications since it’s been found to significantly enhance sports endurance performance, including breath-holding ability, by pre-cooling the central nervous system, i.e., before heat-induced fatigue inevitably terminates exercise. The discovery will be released in time of the record attempt.

There has been nothing said about the new and far reaching medical benefits from the new techniques used. That's what I want to know. How is he going to cool his core temp so quickly. Hope his safety team is better than the bloggers.

OK, still it does not explain why not 2 feet more, to make it 215m, but then again it is not too important. It will be a great attempt anyway

I don't want to put words in anyone mouth and Seb can speak for himself when he is less busy but I suspect he doesn't care much about this being a WR... ML would care..

Well, he likely does not care about the official sanctioning by AIDA, but if he did not take care at all about it being a record or the best performance, then there would be no reason for doing it, and no reason to announce any depth at all. If the sole purpose was scientific research, he would simply plug the devices and sank as deep as necessary. Whether Seb admits it or not, it is certain the number is important, and likely more than the experience or the research goal. It does not mean it is a bad thing, of course.

Well, he likely does not care about the official sanctioning by AIDA, but if he did not take care at all about it being a record or the best performance, then there would be no reason for doing it, and no reason to announce any depth at all. If the sole purpose was scientific research, he would simply plug the devices and sank as deep as necessary. Whether Seb admits it or not, it is certain the number is important, and likely more than the experience or the research goal. It does not mean it is a bad thing, of course.

True and of course it's not a bad thing. Sometimes though the record is more of a confirmation of one's theories, methods and beliefs, rather than a record for record's sake if this makes sense...

Anyway I can't speak for Seb as I don't know him or the way he thinks at all - just passing time until we get a diving update. Denea seems to be on the case or at least she sounds positive about trying to get some diving-related info for us.

I just added another four questions, and still don't seem to be at the end of all what I'd like to know

Well it is quite interesting to be between the sledge-hammer and the anvil and reed comments, personally I like negative comments that what makes you do things better and understand things.

I am very appreciated of all your opinions and sure we will discuss it on the morning meeting.

Regarding world records numbers...

195m - It is Seb's personal last records with empty lungs, nobody as far as I know did not do it before. If I am not correct please let me know.

214m - yes it is a world records, as it sad that Seb will try to break this number...

at the end of the day it is just a number which might happen or may be not, Seb does not think that way and try not to concentrate on numbers it is destructing, he just will try to do the best he can or nature will allow him to do and hopefully his system will work and he will get a big number...

As far as I understand...

Seb obviously want to break world records and the same time he wants to check his theory as well how far he can go, try to find his own way.

two different people and they use different approaches to go deeper...

Many people think that it is not possible, but Seb want to prove that his theory is working and have certain outputs...

Plus how could you promote a new discovery? So, I think it make sense he wants to get more evidence use this ex-trim case - a world record- to prove or not to prove his discovery...and do not forget a competition between two amazing divers, I believe both of them want find the way be a number one....

one way or another...

and yes we read deeperblue.com...

Thank you for your comments we will try to improve it and give you as much information as need it.

Maybe you can give us an idea which topics would be interesting? some of them you already mentioned and i will think about it.

Keep in mind we also still under pressure...

keep in touch...

Thanks for peeking in, MariKa, and sorry for my critics, but it is true that the reporting was unfortunately quite disappointing until recently. As for the topics you could cover - as you tell you can find plenty of them here, and I posted also 22 questions in the blog of Denea: Questions Here Please! | | The-French-JobThe-French-Job. I am sure others will complete it later.

Thanks for peeking in, MariKa, and sorry for my critics, but it is true that the reporting was unfortunately quite disappointing until recently. As for the topics you could cover - as you tell you can find plenty of them here, and I posted also 22 questions in the blog of Denea: Questions Here Please! | | The-French-JobThe-French-Job. I am sure others will complete it later.

We are open for the critics and try to make it interesting as much as possible. Plus as this is really great forum it was good to hear reaction and see that people are actually interested what Sebastien try to do with his unique thechnics and you can help us to find out what you are really want to hear...

From Russian side I was glad to know which way to go and I am looking for the questions too, will use yours that you sent already and others!

Keep tuned!
:thankyou

P.S> any great Russians forums like this you might know :)))):duh

Yes, there are several Russian freediving forums, but I am not sure which one is the most used. Maybe try pinging the member here on DB with the alias Osusim. There are also many freediving groups on Facebook, including some Russian ones. If not I'll look in my archives later and post some links. For the start, try this one: http://free-diving.ru/fru/index.php?plugin=phpBB

In the latest video you can see a bit of the gear. And Seb saying that he uses a 108kg weight (did I hear correctly?!?)

A little surprised to see him using (what looks like) a thick traditional wetsuit as I believed him to be big on the whole no-suit thingy, although that had something to do with buoyancy change in cnf also...

Last edited:
Yes, I was surprised by the thick wetsuit too, especially because he spoke about the hypothermia that is necessary for him

Well, heat insulation works both ways :) Maybe the water is too warm for him and they slap on the suit after pulling him out of the freezer.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT