• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

We're official. Welsh Spearfishing Club

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

jaymz

Apr 10, 2012
After nearly a year of getting people together, we are officially up and associated with the BSA. Firstly, as a newbie to the sport early last year I'd like to say a massive thanks to a lot of members from this forum for helping me get into and educated in Spearfishing. I've taken my newely learned skills to a higher level and doing some serious freediving/spearfishing. If it wasn't for the support of some of you guys to push me further then our club may not be together. So a big thanks to you guys.

Here's a link to our website:

http://www.welshspearfishingclub.co.uk

Feel free to join us at anytime, we are not only open to Welsh spearos, we have members from Wales, England and even Italy. We are looking forward to spearing a lot more as a club and entering events. Well be great to see some of you in the water with us.

Cheers fellas

Jaymz

Last edited:
Hi
Link isn't doesn't work?
Think some of us would like to make representations to the "club"

An offical Welsh club... interesting. How many members are there?

Seeing as North Wales is by far the most active area in the country for spearfishing, I find it really odd that news of, or at least or at least plans of, this club weren't at least mentioned to forum members.

Can I ask who the Chairman is and what your objectives are?

Link should be fine now, typo.

Bro, if you have a look at other posts about Wales, this has been mentioned a few times. It did start off as a South Wales thread, but the Welsh Spearfishing Club is the name of the club, it does not mean that we are the only club in Wales you have to join. There's no reason why North Wales spearos can start their own club if they chose to. But expanding our own clubs region to North Wales would be great if Spearos up that way are interested. I know some people who aren't remotely interested in Clubs, therefore keep themselves to themselves.

Being the only club in Wales, the objectives are to be at the frontline of the sport with regards to promoting and education on spearfishing, entering competitions and nationals with the BSA and generally form a small community of spearos like other clubs in the UK.

We are still in discussions with our first AGM planned for the summer somewhere in South Wales. As the 11 of us currently are located between Pembroke and gloucestershire, this made sence. Only 6 people from this forum showed an initial interest in the club over the last 12 months, the rest are made up of people not on the forum and newcomers to the sport.

We are new, we are fresh. It's an exciting time for us, everyone in the club is extremely pleased with the direction we are going at the moment. There's no harm in anyone from anywhere joining us. We quite welcome it.

Cheers

J

I surely hope not. I haven't come here for one anyway and I don't see why it should. :)

Reactions: Yeti
Well, as bro said- not sure why there wasn't more all wales consultation really.

The last Sunday "meet" of potential members mysteriously didn't happen at mc awful glen - I was there but there was a no show from the " committee". just because we hadn't thrown our hats I'm the ring and receive pm about arrangements it doesn't mean that people weren't following what's going on on the forum - I have no idea how many others turned up expecting the club I jacked it in after 20 mins and left!

I certainly am not a club, comp, BBQ , mass fish-in/slaughter type, but I will most certainly be interested in ensuring this club represents my interests.

I personally think it's great that there's a club in South Wales BUT I think that calling it the 'Welsh Spearfishing Club' is a slightly misguided name choice.

A club, consisting of 11 blokes in South Wales doesn't represent the interests of ALL Welsh spearo's. I'm not that fussed about it but it seems a slightly grandiose name.

Hope it all goes well though! :)

Reactions: artiz
Well, as bro said- not sure why there wasn't more all wales consultation really.

The last Sunday "meet" of potential members mysteriously didn't happen at mc awful glen - I was there but there was a no show from the " committee". just because we hadn't thrown our hats I'm the ring and receive pm about arrangements it doesn't mean that people weren't following what's going on on the forum - I have no idea how many others turned up expecting the club I jacked it in after 20 mins and left!

I certainly am not a club, comp, BBQ , mass fish-in/slaughter type, but I will most certainly be interested in ensuring this club represents my interests.

Ben, if you'd let someone know you we're coming, then we could have got in touch like we did for everyone else. It didn't happen for a number of reasons. Lets not forget the most important part of the club...Spearfishing. We don't live around arranging meetings at 'mc awful glen' our aim is just to be in the water as much as we can. We will get to the formal things when our numbers pick up, join us if you will. We're are you living Ben if you don't mind me asking?

I'm also disapointed there wasnt any talk on the north wales thread. is this club open to everyone?

My apologies if anyone has felt left out in any way. My initial thought is that people like to keep themselves to themselves...hence we didn't go 'recruiting', it was more of a general interest approach.

Well if there is enough interest in North Wales, I'd be willing to speak to a more senior spearo about splitting the club in regions if anyone would like to take a lead role of the area?

Last edited:
Gentlemen please, can we all take deep breaths and count to ten.

I have been behind Jaymz and his efforts from the start and I am very grateful for the amount of time and effort he has put in to this project. I have over the last few years tried to expand my knowledge, skills and enjoyment of spearfishing by trying to network, meet and go fishing with other spearos. I have tried, using this forum to start loose groups to go fishing with because its safer and more fun!!! My efforts have been mixed as it is difficult to get people together.

Jaymz is enthusiastic about spearfishing and freediving and is really keen to advance his spearo skills and knowledge by networking and meeting fellow spearos, which can be difficult and frustrating in a small community spread over a country like Wales. He has worked bloody hard to link people who were mainly fishing on their own, or who want to start but are clueless as to who to ask and where to go and his idea of a welsh club is the beginnings of something that could be potentially be beneficial to us all.
Originally he had contacted the BSA for information on Welsh Spearos and was told by one of the UK national committee that there was No Welsh representation in the BSA! So instead doing nothing he decided to go ahead and set up a club using my loose list of contacts (from all over Wales) as a start.

I know some of you are having a bit of a moan but Jamyz has done what the rest of us have failed to do. I for one thank and commend him for it and back this venture. The point is that everyone can be part of this and take ownership. He has created an excellent website and already, has got us discount with the spearfishing store. The website is designed so everyone can contribute regardless of location At the moment there is some of my stuff on there only because I’m the only person he knows who has got anything! So come on and contribute I am sure you can do better than me.

I am sorry you guys in North Wales are feeling left out that was not the intention but I assure you, there is no “Welsh spearobase central” in the south! All there is at the moment is a cracking website and some names of people who want to go spearfishing. As for a committee, its early days and well, all the slots are open! Anyway as far as I am aware there are no set rules in the UK as to how clubs are formed, whether it’s the website or the committee or the bar or the club boat that comes first, so I don’t understand why that seems to be a problem. The location, at the moment, is in South Wales because this is where Jamyz lives and this is where he started it.

No ones forcing anyone to join but I would like to see North Wales group and a South Wales group and any other group located in Wales all contributing to a “umbrella” national Welsh spearfishing club. If the chairperson ends up being from Bangor, Newtown, Haverfordwest or Cardiff its no problem to me as long as they do a good job and we all benefit.
We could organize spearfishing weekends around the country, trips abroad, competitions, training camps, coaching, etc etc and being a club could give us more clout for discounts on training, trips, kit and services.
So far the only person who has done anything to join us all together North or South is Jaymz so please lets stop nitpicking at trivialities and join together because all he is guilty of is starting the ball rolling.

regards and respect to you all,

piratesteve

Reactions: Yeti
Guys, I'm not moaning about set up of a club, some of us have been here before (about 7 years ago), we ( north and south ) discussed setting up a club, however we generally came to the conclusion that it was probably better to fly under the radar than to draw attention to ourselves- trust me I've plenty of reason to think this and I'll gladly share my reasons away from an open public forum...... However if someone else wishes to raise the profile of spear fishing in wales then I for one will want to ensure that my views are considered and my pastime safeguarded.

So .... Ive already signed up on the club website ( as me so you know who's not moaning)

Good on you for getting on with it - see you at AGM

Could I suggest a meet up with Jamyz, Mr Asbo, Mr Pirate etc fairly soon ?.

Perhaps Ben and I could air our views on the commendable efforts shown on starting this 'club', whilst offering some experience and incite as to why after 15 years spearing , we tend to try and keep this fantastic and often misunderstood pastime, 'under the radar' so to speak.

Much appreciated.

No problem at all. I'd be delighted to find out why you want to keep such a fantastic sport 'under the radar'

Believe me when I say We wish to keep spearfishers locations private. This is something that has been discussed previously amongst ourselves and have all mutually agreed that locations we fish are kept to ourselves and not open to public forum. So if your assuming that's the issue, please be certain that we are doing our best to keep this away from Joe Public.

James, it's nothing to do with 'secret spots' I can promise you. Let' s have a chat over a beer somewhere to suit, pm or email me. Tried to sign up for site but registration is down.

Ok no worries Rob. I'm working away until early June in Derby so in about 2 or 3 weeks can we arrange it? I'm sure some others would like to come too. Like I said, we are early days, open to suggestions and will definitely listen to what spearfishers have to say...as that's surely what we are all about :)

But like I said, lets not miss the important part here...the actual fishing :)

I understand your reasons for being discrete and low key and any club would do well to take on board your responsible behaviour as it is now most spearos behave and practice their sport in the Uk and I believe this is right.
I don't think having an official club in Wales would change that much.
I too am no rookie but prefer to dive with others as I think it is safer and more enjoyable. I would endevour to ensure that the sort of good practice you talk of is maintained alongside the added safety of members being able to spearfish with buddies of all abilities found through a club environment. I believe that is the best way for newcomers and experienced people to safely grow in any sport.

Like I said previously -ill gladly share my under the radar opinion away from a public forum! I'd be opening a familly sized can-o-worms if i were to air my experiences here!

I'm not going to play the i know better, I'm more experienced blah blah blah card either ( there are many watching with far greater experience than i) it's just that I and a few others ( probably more people than have actually expressed an interest in the club) have, based on past experience chosen to keep our heads down and get on with it.

If the club really does to turn out to be a "thing" I hope everyone's views are considered and respected.

My first suggestion is that our clubs chosen Bass size limit should be pushed to 48cm minimum

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT