• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

We're official. Welsh Spearfishing Club

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
See, we're making progress ;)
Now lets meet up, throw some opinions on the table and just get on with this :)

Could I suggest a meet up with Jamyz, Mr Asbo, Mr Pirate etc fairly soon ?.

Rob,

Just for clarity if I'm the Mr ASBO you refer to - I haven't been involved in this at all. I moved from Wales several years ago now and all my spearfishing is done in South West.

All the best for you guys getting together - interesting reading as far as I'm concerned.

Keen to meet for a dive when I'm back in Wales for holidays.

Cheers.

Hi all,

Being a complete beginner to spearfishing, and I mean without no experience at all, a club being set up, I believe is great and hopefully somewhere I can turn to when I need that bit of help.

I realise that some of you want to keep it quite, but if everyone was completely under the radar, I wouldn't of come across the sport. I came here looking for people purely from within South Wales, so I wasn't on my own. Due to the fact I surf and my dad's had boats in the past, I know how dangerous the sea can be and how quickly conditions can change, and with no experience of spearfishing/freediving, didn't want to be alone! Luckily I came across Jaymz' South Wales group forum, and he's been more than helpful and given me all the information I need to get started.

Now he's set up the club, he and steve have brought together a small group of people I can also speak to from south wales, eventually meet up on the weekends for a fish, learn and improve from their experience ect. Without it I wouldn't even know you all even existed. Maybe you believe that's a good thing because you don't want just any old idiot grabbing a speargun and giving your sport a bad name, but for me, it's reassured me that I can practice a new sport, with the comfort of knowing that I have people with some experience that I can turn to.

Not trying to stir things up, just want to get the perspective of someone who's new to the sport across and that a club regardless of the name, will help me, and others like me with little or no experience around South Wales.

Cheers All!:)

Reactions: artiz
Progress is definatley being made. We will tailor the club around people who are interested in us.
If anyone has any suggestions/advice for us then please get in touch.

Jaymz

well done for getting it sorted, good on you and best of luck. Come up to the grim North and visit!

Hello all, new to the site and the Welsh Spearfishing club.
Great work getting this together James. I think it makes sense on many levels. You can't please everyone all the time but life would be boring if you could.
Good effort and I look forward to meeting you on a dive soon.
Mikey

Hi Mikey, thanks my friend.
Look forward to meeting u too.
James

so what happened then/now... I was really getting involved with this cool thread when on May 19th 2013 the Welsh Spearo club/association discussion came to an abrupt halt... and worse still no web site/link???

I was well impressed with your 'get up and go' jaymz... if everyone stayed 'under the radar' we'd never move on would we? There's bound to be some high hurdles to jump but we really must start somewhere? The Welsh Assembly already have total governance & future policy making over their own coastal waters so having some kind of association rather than/as well as a club would be invaluable now and in the future... you've got my full support... as long as any association with the BSA is just incidental rather than any kind of governance... some people compete, some don't, some buddy/meet up, some don't... not insurmountable issues, are they?
There must be plenty of people who hunt in Welsh waters now and again... particularly when coming back to the green green grass of home?

I'm not a club sort of bloke either... I just want a bit of protection in numbers for the future?

Crack on jaymz & pm me if I can help you in anyway... such as webspace/site etc

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice one Jay! My old man is based in your neck of the woods so would love to hook up when Im next over if its doable. Im always lost spearfishing wise when I'm there and it kills me a little bit in side each time Im there :)

Hi guys, due to the difference in opinion between people who want to be in a 'club' and those who'd rather spearfish alone, we don't communicate through this forum. A new website is being made as the company I bought the previous hosting package deal with went through, going the radar and taking the domain with it. We are all still about, just talk on Facebook, email etc. pm me your email and I'll speak to you shortly.

And if anyone who has previously expressed their interest in Spearfishing with us but hasn't received a mail since before Xmas, it's because you never replied to the previous ones I've sent. Like I said a million times before, I'm all about the Spearfishing, not the bitchy politics that some folk like to bring with it:)

Cheers

Reactions: artiz
Hi Jaymz, if the domain is in your name, you can still claim ownership of it - probably simpler to just buy a new one - welshspearfishing.co.uk would be a good replacement...

I'd love to help but I'm afraid I'm one of those spearo's who like to fish by myself - best of luck with it all!

Hi bro, hope all is well. Sadly by searching on Nominet the guy who owned the hosting bought the domain and all his other customers domains in his name. I've been through all the motions with nominet to get it back but turns out it's hopeless. Lesson learned this time and I've stuck to a solid and well known provider for the new one. Once the sites looking half tidy I'll send the link here and most in the north will be happy to know we are localising the club to 'south wales'

(As it was a bit of a sour topic I remember)

Good luck all :)

Hi guys, due to the difference in opinion between people who want to be in a 'club' and those who'd rather spearfish alone, we don't communicate through this forum. A new website is being made as the company I bought the previous hosting package deal with went through, going the radar and taking the domain with it. We are all still about, just talk on Facebook, email etc. pm me your email and I'll speak to you shortly.

And if anyone who has previously expressed their interest in Spearfishing with us but hasn't received a mail since before Xmas, it's because you never replied to the previous ones I've sent. Like I said a million times before, I'm all about the Spearfishing, not the bitchy and egotistical politics that some folk like to bring with it:)

Cheers

I realise there are some opposing ideologies or agendas involved in forming a national type association/club but it really is the perfect time to do so... both politically and for new people wanting to take up spearfishing off the Welsh coast... leave South and SW England to the naive BSA policy makers and have our own Welsh Spearfishing Association... suits me because I'm clearly concerned with getting past the bitchy and egotistical politics!
Does the BSA hold any competitions in Wales? If not perhaps you/we could have dual association membership... only competing in England but only ever hunting alone in Wales...:D:D:D

It would be cool to keep this discussion open here though... I don't use FB but happy to pm and will do so.

P.S. www.welshspearfishing.org.uk or . anything are all still available for any interested spearo equipment partners/sponsors?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a good idea Artiz but there will be a lot disagreeing with it. Especially here :) pm me buddy and we'll organise to get out

WSA logo 400.jpg

A Welsh Spearfishing Association can & will help all of us surely?

Reactions: jaymz
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT