• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What Are Ur Dream Fishes ??

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Definately has to be
#1-tuna
#2-wahoo
#3-bull dolphin
these are actually feasable goals here(with a little more BW experience)

The fish is only part of the dream. I saw a short film, about twenty years ago, from a cliff, near the southern tip of the 'Land of the Long White Cloud'. There were whales, fish and birds, thrashing about, as far as the camera could see.
I dream of diving there, on the last day of summer and shooting a 161 kilo Southern Bluefin to go 'one up' on Terry Maas, just once.
Aloha
Bill
P.S. Kiwi's are the friendliest blokes you'll ever met

Reactions: rigdvr
No kidding, Bill. But you and I know Terry's luck. No sooner would you be cracking the cork when he'd roll up with a beaut. :head

1. 50 kg white seabass
2. any bull mahi
3. a 50 kg wahoo (so I can compare and chat up Julie Riffe;) )
4. a bluefin too big for my truck's bed

1a. this blonde I saw the other day... Hey! This is a wishlist right?! :p

sven

alright

1. 84kg doggie

2.55kg Cobia

3.14kg Job fish

cheers

Hi Ivan ; that would be a nice cobia to see ...:p
Apparently the place for them is Brazil . The reason I dont have them on my dream list is that once you see one ,have found them easy to approach .
Try Mozamique for your Jobbie :D

Before i hang up my fins...

Big Giant Kingfish
30+ kilo King Mackerel
any other pelagic that is longer or heavier than i am.

another goal i have is 8 crays 8 kilos.
our bag limit for the east coast rock lobster is 8. they are legal size at 65mm and about 200g. the big boys weigh 500g and the absoloute grandaddies wiegh in at around 1 kilo. too much to ask?

Mark

Being from California I'd have to go along with Sven and his 100lb White Seabass:D !
Although a nice Wahoo would be great along with a little nice:eek: spanish honey:eek: :eek: :eek: !

Anthony
Torrance, California

hi

Abri so Brazil is the place for cobia thats where teh wr was taken wasnt it. Mozambique sounds good already I think one day when I get a job and some money Im gonna go to South Africa and meet up with some of you guys and get some big Jobbies. Your diving sounds similar to ours except that you have Whites, tigers scare me enough. One problem though you guys dive to damn deep dor me I mean i cant spear at 30 to 40m stuff that id be samba rring every dive.

cheers

Originally posted by ivan
hi
Your diving sounds similar to ours except that you have Whites, tigers scare me enough.

You don`t have Whites there????? Australia is the home for Whites.Don`t know?

Size doesn't matter guys! :)

#1 Beluga (Huso Huso) - they weight up to 2 tons so any size is good. And they are already restricted (but not banned completely) by the Bern Convention, so my dream will have to wait... Even if I see one, I won't shoot.

#2 Bluefin tuna

#3 Shi drum (Umbrina cirrosa)

Not too much of a dream, eh? :)

Re: Beluga

Originally posted by Murat
Nice chooice;)

Take a look at that if you are wondering what is it.

Thanks Murat,

I've seen several belugas. It's a Black Sea fish. The last one was 800 kilos. Like a small submarine :)

A fellow spearo from the old generation was diving some 10 years ago and he stayed at ambush by two huge logs at some 15 meters of depth with very low viz. After 20 seconds one of the logs surprisingly moved. The smaller one followed. The guy nearly drowned! Belugas. It appeared his ambush spot was by the tail of the big one. He didn't shoot.
Back in the 70s during one of the Silver Amphora Cup there was a Czech competitor who entered the water and during his 2nd dive a beluga passed by without paying any attention to him. He boarded the boat and refused to go back in the water. :D
A friend of mine shot a very young one this year and he suffered a fair amount of kicks on the arse for this act...

I've never seen any beluga underwater though. :(

I saw a Russian Sturgeon (Acipenser gueldenstaedtii) once, which is not some Russian version of Scott Turgeon but a fish of the Beluga family. :) It was a juvenile fish and I didn't shoot.

Heres my updated christmas list Santa...

#1-blonde mermaid
#2-redhead mermaid
#3-brunette mermaid
:p :p :p :p :p

I would have to say:

1. Bluefin Tuna
2. Yellowfin Tuna
3. Wahoo

Honorable Mention: Cobia

Spearing either of the first two would probably be the death of me...but we can all dream!

Your diving sounds similar to ours except that you have Whites ...

Not really . Have only had two encounters in over a decade on the north - east coast . More likely to encounter them further south .

hi

Murat we only get Whites in australia when you go down south out of the tropics and The main area for them is South Australia stuff diving there. Here where i am we are way up in the tropics no whites here I hope. Damn it whens that cobia going to show up.

cheers

As follows

1. Dogtooth Tuna
2. Yellow fin tuna
3. Spanish Mackeral in the 20Kg range... yeah I know it may not be so grand as a wahoo ect... but thats what I want... And up till now I havent managed to get one.. that will change!

hi

Murat we only get Whites in australia when you go down south out of the tropics and The main area for them is South Australia stuff diving there. Here where i am we are way up in the tropics no whites here I hope. Damn it whens that cobia going to show up.

cheers

Good for you. Is there more fish. As i know there is always sharks in fishy areas.

a strange dream fish....

welp, i've found those pictures on the net, the only time i saw this fish was on National Geographic, or Discovery. don't remember.

does anyone recognize it?

Attachments

• coelac1.jpg
    coelac1.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 281
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT