• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What Are Ur Dream Fishes ??

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
and another pic of it:

Attachments

• coelacanth1.gif
    coelacanth1.gif
    30.9 KB · Views: 316
It is a Coelocanth (a fish believed to be extinct until about 80 years ago when they caught one off Madagascar). It is interesting from an evolutionary standpoint because they believe it is similar to the first fish that came out to walk on land. As far as I know it is pretty rare. I guess our SA buddies would know more about it (whether it is edible, spearable, etc)

good job frogman. :)

I really hope that none of our SA buddies ever speared one of those, eating a fish that was probably sighted (and killed) 5 times in the last century.

That extinct fish is also found in Manado a part of Indonesia but they are super deep water species. That diver is more than lucky to be able to see one undertwater. I don't want to spear this one...too rare and slow too. I heard scientist will pay US$10,000 a fish in any netters accidentaly caught them.

IYA

It would appear they are not nearly as close to extinction as once believed , just inaccessible . We have a small but healthy population at Sodwana bay in around 150 m. water .
That puts them well out of reach of your average ;) spearo .
Would I spear one ? ... If a misguided / curious individual ventured too close to the surface ... who knows ?:p
Hmmm... it's not a pelagic so I guess not .

Lets see....

1. King Mackeral 50+lbs
2. Dolphin 30+lbs
3. Cobia 70+lbs
4. Swordfish 200+lbs
5. Any nice Bluefin/Yellowfin Tuna

All freediving of course;)
Jay

Reactions: icarus pacific
Good thread...

OK, my top three, in order :)

1. A bloody jewie!! I've been trying years for these little buggers, I'd even be happy with a small 30lb one... :)
2. A little swordfish... probably the only billfish I could bring myself to spear...
3. A huge cray, cause those things sell for a fortune, and are oh so yummy :)

Loopy

Re: Good thread...

Originally posted by loopy
OK, my top three, in order :)

3. A huge cray, cause those things sell for a fortune, and are oh so yummy :)

Loopy

Hey loopy what is a cray? Im from south florida and I have no idea what that is? :)

My dream fish

A large wahoo and a yellowfin tuna on the spear.

Anything that can spear back is off limits for me. I had my chance at a sail and passed it up. I could not pull the trigger when he looked at me with those puppy dog eyes. :duh

Aquiles
DQBN

About those tunas, I saw an episode about open water on a BBC program called "blue planet" (i think). It showed some amazing movies of Yellow and Blue fin tunas eating other fish (sardines I think), and I gotta ask myself (and poor you guys), HOW THE ** DOES ANY ONE EXPECT TO SPEARFISH ONE OF THOSE FLYING BULLETS?!?!?!

Tracking one with a gun just seems impossible, Even my thought was'nt quick enough to track them. :p

Do you use some heroin injected chum fish for that? or just shoot some empty water and hope one of them will catch the spear randomly? both maybe?

Aquiles, has Anderson talked to you about a trip to louisiana (lumps)this season? I would like to take a couple of my dream fish as well.

Re: Re: Good thread...

Originally posted by Aquiles

Hey loopy what is a cray? Im from south florida and I have no idea what that is? :)

Heya Aquiles :)

A cray is a crayfish, just another name for a rock lobster we get around here. I'll see if I can dig some photos up... they're really expensive to buy, because they're really nice to eat... I've seen one barely legal one only weighing a few hundred grams for $AU60 (about $US30)... They don't have claws like your lobsters though :D

Originally posted by DeepThought

HOW THE ** DOES ANY ONE EXPECT TO SPEARFISH ONE OF THOSE FLYING BULLETS?!?!?!

Michael,

Saw a really cool Rob Torelli video spearing tuna, and one little trick they use is to burley up with bits of cut fish in the water, then aim at the burley, so when the tuna comes by to eat it, bam, an instant head shot :D

Dream fish? hmmm...

If it wasn't for the fact that they're my favorite critter around, they were edible, and there were enough of them...

White Shark. period.

nothing like wrestiling with something that could eat me.

Willer

:ko

Yo

Yo Amphibious, have you seen the White vids on Rob Torelli's site? (www.bwhi.com.au) He's got a few vids there (watch gw_ride!) of him and a mate freediving with whites in SA back in 94... The story is covered in the latest International Freediving and Spearfishing News, and to take the gist of it.... they were freediving with some whites on a charter that some other insane SA guy does :) when one of the whites started gnawing on the boat. Then it turs around and starts randomly chomping in the water towards his mate, so his mate kicks up some wash with his fins and the shark swims past. Not content with the, his mate turns around and grabs onto the tail of the white, and goes for a ride...
Any other of our SA friends managed something like that? :D I showed my girlfriend and she had nightmares for like a week... :)

Loopy

Something I have always wanted to do - freedive with'um. one of the only reasons I still dive is to see sharks. love'um.

will check out the site - thanks.

Willer

Re: Yo

they were freediving with some whites on a charter that some other insane SA guy does ... his mate turns around and grabs onto the tail of the white, and goes for a ride...

Gee , I thought EVERYONE does that when the spearing is a bit slow ...;)

Re: Yo

Not content with the, his mate turns around and grabs onto the tail of the white, and goes for a ride...

Loopy

What ? ? ? ! ! !

Haha

Yup, it's the stuff drreams (or nightmares!) are made of Murat :D

Loopy

Loopy:
little trick they use is to burley up with bits of cut fish in the water, then aim at the burley, so when the tuna comes by to eat it, bam, an instant head shot
Nice idea, I'll remember that.

about Torelli's site, somehow, it doesn't load. :(

Originally posted by DeepThought

Nice idea, I'll remember that.

about Torelli's site, somehow, it doesn't load. :(

Try not to do it in big boys area.Actually we have not much shark here neither tuna:waterwork
Sometimes may be...

there are always shark - you just have to know how to find them...

hey Chum, may I call you chum?....

:D

Willer

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT