• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What color can I paint my gear with?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

noobey

Jul 23, 2018
I'd like to put some vibrant colors on my speargun, so that I don't loose it in murky waters.
But I don't want to scare off any fish with my colors scheme.

I read that white spooks fish. I suppose because it looks like the underbelly of larger fish.

So what's the safest color to use? Bright neon green, or yellow?
I also understand that color fades in deeper waters, but that's not a concern right now. I'm still splashing about in the kiddie-pool.

I have a Dorado print rash guard. Everytime I dive with it I am surrounded by interested fish. A Dorado paint job might make your gun easy to see, and attract fish as well

You could also use diving labels that you can buy on www.divinglabels.com - they are personalised identity labels for diving and underwater gear. If you choose the 3M option, these are reflective, so that if you drop your speargun in murky water, it can be picked up by torchlight.

If you attach your speargun to your diving float then its problem solved as boats can see where you are and your never going to loose your speargun.

Reactions: Davis
Camouflage your gear so you can blend with where you are. If you are in deep water blue grey will help or if you are near reaf or seaweed green and brown. Use the same colour as your environment. Everything under 10 meters looks grey thats why sharks are grey. So if you dive deep use grey.

Hey mate, if you have a float attached to your gun, this should be no issue. Floats are necessary, as they are needed to rest on, allow boats to locate you, hold back big fish, and a place to store fish once caught. I think for you, you are better off spending a bit of money on a float. Cheers Mate!

I have been painting guns for years. I first started for a bit of a laugh in the early 90's when a lot of experts claimed that guns had to be black. I responded by painting several of mine red, gold & green without any negatives. Camo finishes were next & now its almost impossible to get spearfishing gear which doesnt make you look like a mall ninja, thankfully fins are an exception & there is some great artwork on many of them.
Colours & camo isnt overly important for fish, however with the eruption in shark numbers in many places wearing white or shiny wetsuits wouldnt be wise.
First photo is a little dogtooth tuna & sailfish from the 90's with a "rasta" gun. Next is more recent with a wee striped marlin (still keeping it real with the fins). Last is a photo last week of my current big guns, will be culling out & moth balling several even though they are are all newer than my current Iphone. Spearguns are still developing & improving & composites like the three on the left are the future. Composite guns will hopefully be a new platform for more tastefull & artistic expression & not just black.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT