• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What gun?!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
do you guys think pneumatics are as powerful as 3 band guns? what i mean to say is: do all these arguments hold up for the long guns as well? should i be looking at 130cm pneumatics to replace my wooden band guns? my take on all this has been that air guns out shoot band guns in small sizes. but as you go up in size, this isnt true anymore. basically, my 60" long 3 band mid handle woodie, that shoots a 65" 8mm spear has no air gun equal. (maybe a lost air setup , but not a pop gun) is this true?
one thing i definately dont like about pop guns is: the slide ring and line release setups seem inferior to the normal setup with the mono through the sharkfin, or at thre rear of the spear ,(like on euro guns)
this HAS to be a better setup for accuracy
and that "POP"! sound is kinda loud, i wonder if it spooks fish?
most fisherman i know would swear it,loud noises) does spook em
i really like the look of the air guns, and i suppose i will probably get one eventually, maybe i will wait for the next greatest innovation in them first,

Its the Matrix again! :)

I am not sure about the comparison Jason but I can tell you a dry barrel 130 airgun would be a very powerful weapon & I dont think it would be noisy at all?

The biggest gun I use is a mamba 115 & that is the total length of the gun excluding the 250mm of spear sticking out the end.
If you are worried about using a slider (matrix) then you are going to be shocked with my system.....rofl

Attachments

• spear.jpg
    spear.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 194
... Now i would like to know what some of the very best, most reliable, easy to handle, powerful guns are. I’ve heard that wood guns exist, what is the best material, tell us what you think the most exquisite gun is (for uk style hunting or similar)
Carbon fibre C4 perhaps? While it is possible to make ugly or utilitarian wooden guns, most that I've seen look good - even the mass produced ones, which I wouldn't recommend for the UK. Some of the low volume and DIY wooden guns are stunning, some are works of art. I think Pastor would recommend a short mid-handled wooden gun for UK - he uses his Darryl Wong (Hawaii) Welsh Red Dragon gun.

What is the most exquisite hammer/violin? It's just a tool at the end of the day. If you use it a lot you'll want something that works really well for you and that won't annoy or disappoint you. For me its a 75cm Omer XXV small*, super-light - low mass -> low inertia & easy to carry, low hydro-dynamic drag it's a joy to use...although the metal wishbone at the front annoys me and will be going :D). It looks pretty nice too, although I put black tape over all the jazzy logos :D. I met a spearo who lives nearby and he just uses a small pneumatic. If you want to hang it prominently in your home, then getting something that looks great is going to be important - but then perhaps you might not want to risk bashing it up in the sea?

Take a look at Spaghetti's fab Indi speargun thread -- I think you will find what you are looking for ;)

*And, I no longer get asked if I'm going after shark, as I did with the considerably bigger looking RA90 :D
How can a band gun possibly be higher maintenance?

All you need to do is change the bands every two years or so...
I find I have to change my Dyneema wishbones periodically. On the RA the spears need to be cleaned and oiled to prevent rust. I've replaced the trigger mech. on my RA.

Reactions: foxfish
I have a mate selling a Rob Allen 80 if you are interested. Thinks he want £100 for it. send me a pm.
I reckon that would be a great all-round gun for the UK & plenty powerful enough. More powerful than screw-in band guns I think, because of the extra 10cm of rubber wrapped around the muzzle.

However, these days, I'd be tempted to go for the 70cm RA railgun (or perhaps 75cm non-rail version). Or 75cm in something Italian or French (e.g. Omer, Cressi, Gabianno Beuchat). Thinking small & light - perhaps with the thought that I could get a longer gun for those rare occasions when something different is called for (although in practice, you won't know until you have been in the water a while and then it is usually too late to change :D).

Shorter guns make snatching those fast moving nearby fish, especially mullet/mackeral, possible - something which can be very difficult/impractical with 90cm x 28mm diameter speargun.

Just like blonds vs redheads vs brunettes, all are fine in my book....
Why limit one's self to one type of gun? I have a 140 sten that has taken 35lb game fish at 25'', yes loading it at 35 bar was a bitch. Now it's going to get converted to dry barrel this winter to make loading a breeze at 25 bar.

Cheers, Don Paul

Reactions: Mr. X
Just like blonds vs redheads vs brunettes, all are fine in my book....
Why limit one's self to one type of gun?...
:D I wouldn't even dare think like that these days ;)
[Just send me over a super-slim Italian model and I'll be happy - speargun I mean :)]

Last edited:
Reactions: Don Paul
Excellent thread here guys thanks for all the really interesting info - don't stop.
For what it's worth I also have both air and band guns and use the small air gun mostly for when the viz is bad. I use my Mares MiniMini Sten for working my way around all the gullies tightly hugging the coastline. I have had some lovely Bream, Mullet and even Bass with this little pistol type gun and particularly good in caves of course. The Sten also comes with a leg holster which means it can also be a wearable back up gun. There is nothing worse than driving 150 miles round trip on your only day off to find a pea soup waiting for you and not having the equipment to enable at least some kind of hunt.
Can anyone give me a bit more info on how to make this Sten into a dry barrel please. I'm also a bit miffed regarding this even after reading everything above?

Last edited by a moderator:
Please... tell us more about your Sea Trout 'licence' rofl

OK OK so I lied it just sounded good and everybody likes to big themselves up now and again. Us novices can say the silliest things?

Last edited by a moderator:
More bullsh*t - please, make another post trying to flog your crappy Dogcams.

OK OK so I lied it just sounded good and everybody likes to big themselves up now and again. Us novices can say the silliest things?

Nice to see you editing your posts to remove the more ridiculous of your porky pies rofl

It's a shame that we now can't read about all the sea trout that you've taken. I bet you've you got a few vids of them on your Bogcam ;)

More bullsh*t - please, make another post trying to flog your crappy Dogcams.

Thanks for your comments mate always nice know who the forum bullies are. If you had actually read my thread properly you may have discovered that I don't recommend buying the DogCam because its unreliable so I can hardly be selling them.
I did the review because I had bought one and liked the idea of making a contribution to a really good forum regarding a past time that I am very passionate about.
So up yours!

Just a little surprising that for for someone who is passionate about spearing to have 50 of their 55 posts on a spearing forum directly linked to a specific product. You've given us links, discount codes, reviews... amazingly dedicated!

I'm mostly interested in your 'Sea Trout Licence' though - that sounds amazing!!!

It's a a shame you deleted your post, I'm sure people would love to know about it! Please tell us where we can get one! :)

Reactions: Jonny250
Just a little surprising that for for someone who is passionate about spearing to have 50 of their 55 posts on a spearing forum directly linked to a specific product. You've given us links, discount codes, reviews... amazingly dedicated!

I'm mostly interested in your 'Sea Trout Licence' though - that sounds amazing!!!

It's a a shame you deleted your post about it, I'm sure people would love to know about it! Please tell us where we can get one! :)
It was an inappropriate joke as you well know and clearly not very funny so I removed it - so what's your problem - too many steroids perhaps?

Far too many steroids. Yes, that is my problem.

Don't tell me, you have Pharmaceutical Practitioners Licence and can sort me out with some under the counter meds at a good price. Have you got a discount code rofl

Far too many steroids. Yes, that is my problem.

Don't tell me, you have Pharmaceutical Practitioners Licence and can sort me out with some under the counter meds at a good price. Have you got a discount code rofl
Someone has got a really good signature on this forum and I thought it should be yours. It goes something like this:
'Don't argue with idiots, they'll drag you down and beat you with experience'

Promo Code = TW*T007

I personally think its super cute that you've taken the time to research my 5 year old posts to find that I, heaven forbid, go to the gym which, quite obviously, by default, makes me a steroid user rofl

Seriously, that's dedication!

Thanks for the 'idiots' tip as well, maybe I shouldn't argue with people who brag about their amazing sea trout catches, imaginary licences and resort to low brow insults when their wits fail them ;)

I'll be sure to use that discount code when I apply for my Sea Trout Licence.

I personally think its super cute that you've taken the time to research my 5 year old posts to find that I, heaven forbid, go to the gym which, quite obviously, by default, makes me a steroid user rofl

Seriously, that's dedication!

Thanks for the 'idiots' tip as well, maybe I shouldn't argue with people who brag about their amazing sea trout catches, imaginary licences and resort to low brow insults when their wits fail them ;)

I'll be sure to use that discount code when I apply for my Sea Trout Licence.
You clearly flatter yourself mate, my research as you describe it consisted of a 2 second look at your About Me on your Profile but it clearly hit a raw nerve with you though. If you can't take it don't dish it out in the first place. Can we leave it at that please.
Enough highjacking of this thread and my personal apologies to the thread starter and everyone who contributed.
P.S. Perhaps a moderator could delete our nonsense please?

P.S. Perhaps a moderator could delete our nonsense please?

Why? Not yet.
It's so entertaining, and the two of you are doing it with style. :)
The whole thing will be deleted if it turns too harsh.

BOXE! :ko

Why? Not yet.
It's so entertaining, and the two of you are doing it with style. :)
The whole thing will be deleted if it turns too harsh.

BOXE! :ko

Because it detracts from a good informative thread?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT