• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What is a 'good' spearo ?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
By the way, anybody caught something huge on really small equipment?

The story of my life ... :wave

Yeah, you may say that but it still lands some fishes hehehe ... You know sometimes too much stretch leads to a loose of accuracy so to speak :)

HOT SPEARO....

A person with a speargun in Baja, around late june with no sunscreen......

REALLY HOT SPEARO...

The same person at the same place around late august....

GTB

I don't know much about these fish but that's huge! Could one of those hurt you?

Jez said:
I don't know much about these fish but that's huge! Could one of those hurt you?

Not intentionally in the classic 'shark attack' sense, they have no big sharp teeth or bills like a swordfish. A fish that size is very powerful though and could easily drown you if you got tangled in line etc. I was shocked to see that the guy caught it with fairly normal gear i.e. not bluewater gear or even using breakaway gear. He has big cojones.......

Jez said:
It could definitely give you a hernia.:D

My dive buddy landed that size AJ with 90cm old pneumatic in 70s or 80s, you can imagine how was the spearfishing gear that time :)

The individual him or herself decides whether he/she is a good spearo....if one is happy, inspired and catching what one wants to catch...feels good with what he is doing, the way one does this..., one of the things I like about the spearfishing thing is just that, you....and the sea....being good, bad or worse is something we have invented...., the competition is not out there, it is in ourselves.....

Reactions: Mr. X and Murat
in my opinion a good spearo:
1 - goes hunting regularly
2 - knows how to select a spot
3 - knows what to look for once in that spot
4 - hunts the right game fish, not just shoots everything that is swimming
5 - knows how to setup gear depending on the location/fish
6 - Knows how to ambush/approach a fish without scaring it off (different techniques for different types of fish)
7 - maintains constant contact with his buddy and practices safe freediving
8 - ENJOYS spearfishing and trys to go out whenever he/she can

Murat said:
....90cm old pneumatic in 70s or 80s, you can imagine how was the spearfishing gear that time :)
Spearing gear hasn't changed much over the decades has it? I was looking at a site of antique spearguns recently -- and many aren't much different to current offerings (aluminium handles v. plastic) ... some looked like quite innovative -- rollerguns as currently offered by Seatec have probably been around more than 50 years (they even had a little antique Chinese roller gun ). Most looked like they only needed a new set of rubbers -- it seemed premature to be retiring many of them to glass cases. Some of the 60/70's spearo knife designs actually seem better than many of the current offerings IMHO (personal taste, of course).

greendiver said:
The individual him or herself decides whether he/she is a good spearo....if one is happy, inspired and catching what one wants to catch...feels good with what he is doing, the way one does this..., one of the things I like about the spearfishing thing is just that, you....and the sea....being good, bad or worse is something we have invented...., the competition is not out there, it is in ourselves.....
:cool: Good one.

A Good spearo, is one who shows compasion when he has a good day and gives a fish to fellow spearo's who cant get into the Pond.

ie. Me, cos ive got FLU. :waterwork :) :waterwork :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT