• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What is Pipin doing these days???

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Yes... shame about the lack of proof reading .

Both these guys have been through hell and ended up loathing each other....
very sad .

I read The Dive first, and I had serious concerns and many questions in my head about Pipin and the way things were done (based on Pipin's own book - mind you). I was rolling my eyes quite a bit on the fantastical touches that were seemingly added (for some emotional effect on the reader I suppose). So I also gave Serra's The Last Attempt a read for another perspective. I felt The Last Attempt was at least in depth and detailed enough to answer some of my tough questions that lingered from Pipin's book.

If you read one of these books, you ought to read the other. All I was really interested in is the truth about what actually happened, and while I'll never know for sure, both books have given insights that I think have brought me closer to knowing what occurred. I found both books challenged me and made me think about freediving in new ways.

Regardless of my personal conclusions, I was mildly interested to hear what, if anything, Pipin may be doing now, and what his latest chapter would read like. Too bad he isn't more plugged in online to communities like this one to keep us posted.

Pipin was listed as a featured speaker at The Blue Wild Expo Feb. 6-8. I went freediving instead of attending so I do not know how well he was received.

Pipin was listed as a featured speaker at The Blue Wild Expo Feb. 6-8. I went freediving instead of attending so I do not know how well he was received.

Yep, he was on the schedule. I was there, but I had no interest in seeing him, so I went to some other lecture. I did see him walk by me once in a big hurry, as if he had somewhere very important to go, but that doesn't amount to much for a true Pipin worshiper.

For what its worth, many of the other speakers were just hanging out, and I got to talk to them. They seemed to think I was someone worthy of their attention. But maybe he had a tight schedule.

I should admit that I'm a spearfisherman who freedives rather than someone who freedives for its own sake, but this guy always seemed to me to be a pompous self-promoting asshole. I followed his progress with at least faint interest until I read an article in Sports Illustrated about some no limits depth record off of Cabo San Lucas. Whatever that depth was, it turned out that he did it with one breath from a scuba tank at some depth down there.

His excuse was that it was "no limits." OK, but I thought there were limits to no limits. Do I have to keep track of freedive records with one breath from scuba, two breaths from scuba, three breaths from scuba, etc.?

Another thing that turned me off was that he lost a scuba safety diver during that "depth record" and it was not the first.

I don't need a dive buddy like him, and it sounds like others have had a bad experience.

Reactions: Jon and strangelove
Yep, he was on the schedule. I was there, but I had no interest in seeing him, so I went to some other lecture. I did see him walk by me once in a big hurry, as if he had somewhere very important to go, but that doesn't amount to much for a true Pipin worshiper.

For what its worth, many of the other speakers were just hanging out, and I got to talk to them. They seemed to think I was someone worthy of their attention. But maybe he had a tight schedule.

I should admit that I'm a spearfisherman who freedives rather than someone who freedives for its own sake, but this guy always seemed to me to be a pompous self-promoting asshole. I followed his progress with at least faint interest until I read an article in Sports Illustrated about some no limits depth record off of Cabo San Lucas. Whatever that depth was, it turned out that he did it with one breath from a scuba tank at some depth down there.

His excuse was that it was "no limits." OK, but I thought there were limits to no limits. Do I have to keep track of freedive records with one breath from scuba, two breaths from scuba, three breaths from scuba, etc.?

Another thing that turned me off was that he lost a scuba safety diver during that "depth record" and it was not the first.

I don't need a dive buddy like him, and it sounds like others have had a bad experience.

Agree 100% !

Logged into msn for the first time in yonks and got an email alert about this thread...

It all seems like a lifetime ago now, but I remember being out in the Dominican Republic in April 2002 with Pipin and Carlos for Patrick Musimu's record attempt.

Howard asked me to talk with Pipin and Carlos about the IAFD vs IADA saga, we sat round a table and chewed it over for a while, I have it on minidisc, i'll throw them an email and see if they mind if I post it somewhere.

Bill - I just looked in my inbox archives of the freedivelist, I think you posted the scariest thread i've ever seen in my life on that list

"Great White shot at Catalina"

I was scared sh1tless spearfishing for weeks after reading that. :)

haha good memories - all of 'em.

Crispin.

last I heard about pippin was that he was been sponsored by seac sub for spearfishing videos and equipment, he might have stopped competing in freediving but he centainly hunt often.

I believe that if he was able to set records like that without a monofin or in no limits at great dephts no reached by anyone yet... he deserves a lot of recognition, his hunting videos display a great amount of experience and athleticism, like it or not he gave a lot the sport of freediving.

do I agree with some of his mistakes and or personality issues?... no I do not!! but we all have issues , he paid a big price for his mistakes, I hope he have found peace inside and become a better person, after all we all learn from our mistakes.

Reactions: Erik
! but we all have issues , he paid a big price for his mistakes, I hope he have found peace inside and become a better person, after all we all learn from our mistakes.

Well said.

if you search freediving on amazon a PIPIN dvd comes up, called world's deepest man or something ,about his no limits stuff, anyone seen it?

Pipin is somewhat active on facebook (his profile) and has quite a big following. Many people are still very happy to hear from him over there. He put some stuff online as well.

monkey... if you type pipin at youtube you'll get to see the trailer for ''deepest man on earth'' , that will give a little hint of it's content.

by the way what happened with that movie ''the dive'' directed by james cameron , the book was amazing .

What is Pipin doing these days? Lots of things!
Check the link of what seems to be his own new spearfishing gear company.HOME

The negativity towards Pipin get's very old after awhile, I wish Pipin well, and
I'm no groupie.
Don Paul

Don this thread was started 5 years ago, when the negativity towards Pipin was still strong in many people.
Maybe I did wrong now to revive the old discussion with the newer (positive) updates on the subject.
Anyway this whole thread should be read with a grain of salt: years have gone by. The negative feelings of years ago have probably settled down now.

Don this thread was started 5 years ago, when the negativity towards Pipin was still strong in many people.
Maybe I did wrong now to revive the old discussion with the newer (positive) updates on the subject.
Anyway this whole thread should be read with a grain of salt: years have gone by. The negative feelings of years ago have probably settled down now.

I was around here in 2002 when everything happened, and was very sad, the hate was why I left DB.
I hope some of us have moved on, thank you for your post.
Cheers, Don

Last edited:
Reactions: Erik
He is listed as a speaker at the Blue Wild Expo in Fort Lauderdale coming in June.

I was around here in 2002 when everything happened, and was very sad, the hate was why I left DB.
I hope some of us have moved on, thank you for your post.
Cheers, Don

I can tell you one thing that's for sure: as long as the current forum staff will be in charge, there will be no room in Deeperblue for hate mail, abusive talk, character assassination or personal attacks of any kind at all.
Word of honour.

Cool, I like that, and believe me; I respect every one's right to a personal opinion. You have great people at the helm here.
Cheers, Don

I can tell you one thing that's for sure: as long as the current forum staff will be in charge, there will be no room in Deeperblue for hate mail, abusive talk, character assassination or personal attacks of any kind at all.
Word of honour.

Correct. I think I said in a previous post that any beefs with Pipin are to be taken up with him directly and the forum not used as a personal punching bag.

Madam Sands is on the watch.... :martial

Reactions: spaghetti
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT