• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

what is the best fish to eat?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
i gotta say yellowtail sashimi.. yum yum

so i got a q about mackerel.
mackerel sushi here is VERY pungent and strong and oily/fishy tasting.
I NYC we had king mackerel nigiri and it was amazing, not terribly strong at all, but still flavourful.

is there that much of a difference between types of mackerel? or perhaps do they just not give good cuts here or what? any thoughts on the difference?

you know I kinda possed the same question, I have been told by a few that Mack (spanish, cero) are excellent fresh as sashimi...I may just try it next time as for the oilyness, here in Miami they don't seem to oily or pungent, perhaps do to the consistent warm weather...I actually find macks quite tasty in enchilado, or breaded deep fried.

Plaice and Mullet are a favourite but then again so is Bass and Mackerel.
Lobster is good and if they count so is Crab.
Smoked Wrasse (ala Foxfish) is also up there near the top.
Who am I kidding if its fresh, dead and well prepared I’ll eat it.:p:p:D

Reactions: Mr. X
Podge:

A cannible Chieftan and his son are walking along the beach, when overhead a 747 soars through the sky leaving a contrail miles long.

The son asks his father: "What's that?"

The father replies: "I don't really know but if you crack one open it tastes like lobster."

I'll keep my day job and not go on stage.

Reactions: podge
You betcha' fresh is best next is cryo frozen--we get excellent Mahi & steelhead that way.

Don't forget the mutton !

Fried in a garlic and peppercorn breadcrumbs with some ginger, honey, hotsauce, pepper and lime.

Ahh, now im hungry :head

Fresh bonito for sashimi, triggerfish in the frypan, Arctic char if you ever get up that way, salmon in chowder, and mermaid for dessert!

Reactions: spaghetti and Mr. X
In my opinion its very difficult to beat fresh mackrel fried with coarse black pepper, and although diffrent to mackrel , bass is equal on my list cooked in the same way nice and simple.
I too love the humble mackeral - cheap, beautiful,very plump and tasty this time of year. You can cook them in lots of different ways by we almost always just gut them and grill them and eat them with bread & butter (crusty white or fresh granary bread), and maybe a few beans from the garden.

Sardines, grilled or BBQ'd with lemon juice.

Red mullet cooked with ginger. Tried it once, never forgotten.

Bass & grey mullet. Mullet is an attractive fish but bass is just a perfect looking fish, just as mackeral is. Bass is the celebrated & expensive restaurant fish - mullet little know, often overlooked or underrated IMHO. Taste & texture wise they are similar, when cooked as we usually do (grilled with olive oil, fennel, garlic). In our blind taste tests, mullet usually wins (slightly more taste) or they draw.

Only tried lemon sole once, cooked simply in butter & served with only boiled potatoes, it was delicious beyond all expectations.

Trigger fish was tasty, moist & firm & a welcome change.

Mum's fish pie tonight, not exactly sure what was in it, but included salmon, smoked haddock, boil eggs & potatoes.

Not too keen on trout, often muddy, but had a nice rainbow trout from my neighbour this weekend which tasted good. Also good grilled with flaked almonds.

Rick Stein rated Mediterranean Dentex as even better than Bass on one of his TV shows, so I'd like to try that. And one of Miles' yellow fin tuna:D And spanish mackeral & grouper. Wahoo. Barracuda....

Last edited:
We had some yellowtail W/ Ponzu/soy and jalapeno peppers(i still need to learn how to cut the fish) not too long ago, it's one of the better ones.
Also attached is Bonito Sushi...very tasty but only good first 1-2 days and bled immediately

Cooked:
Monkfish Liver (cooked)
Grouper (cooked)
Leopard Grouper (aka Cabrilla) - Tacos

Sushi:
Everyday - Yellowtail Pacific
Wahoo - Ono
Spanish mackerel - Fiji
Bluefin/Toro
Not fish, but live amaebi...cut the heads off, put it on rice..bam!

n2510831_42584365_1199.jpg

IMG_6980.jpg

l.jpg

jalapenoyellowtail.jpg

Last edited:
any sushi with big eye belly, bf tuna and tuna in gereral and eel

mako, tuna and swordfish steaks/sandwiches

mahi sandwiches

Blue Fin Tuna Sashimi is probably my all time favorite..

But like many of the others will agree, if it's fresh and properly prepared, almost any fish can be amazing....

Reactions: foxfish
When you can't get out to sea, farmed tilapia is delicious as a substitute for sole meuniere.

Yeah, love walleye - especially w/i an hour of the catch cooked at camp by the canoe pull out.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT