• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What Is The Best Speargun???

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

alexanderXP

May 27, 2005
OK, i had an old 75cm peargun,i was hunting with it and i liked it.....

but now i want to buy the "B.E.S.T" speargun:

1.it should be VERY powerfull!!!
2.it should be accurate!
3.whats best pneumatic or rubber band?
5.i dont realy carre, but not some thing like 1000 bucks!
6.it should "live" long and not brake!!!

i think to get my self the T4 Imersion 150cm,but is this a GOOD choise!what else is there what is very very good???

i will hunt mostly in see water "big fish" (some times river ,may be)

THANK YOU !!!!

Hello and welcome alexanderXP.
Based on the information you have given it is very hard to know what kind of speargun you need.
First of all where are you?
Maybe if you gave some indication of how big "big fish" is to you then possibly we would have a better idea, River hunting too? I am not so sure how good a 150cm Eurogun is for that kind of work.
there are plenty of threads in the Hunting Equipment section with arguments and counter arguments for nearly every concievable type of gun in production.
I advise you to have a look around , and then if you have a more specific question regarding a specific brand, ask away.

Last edited:
I using a freedivers gun from south africa (Durban) it is the best gun i ve ever used it's a 1100railgun with a reel which is a good lenth for all round spearing go to (www.freedivers.co.za) pic's are on the site
cheers

FOR ME a big fish is about or over 5 kl and over 65cm!

i am in germany right now but i would hunt there
mostly in
Turkey
Spain
Russia?
Malaysia
MAN,every where! where you can swim and hunt and it is legal to hunt and not cold man!

i just want a powerfull spreargun(the most powerfull), i hope the t4150 is inough,look for
imersion on google, they show the tech. details of the T4

thank y

Bit of a warning Alexander.

A 1.5m speargun is very difficult to handle, being hard to manouver. Also power does not equal fish. If youre having trouble spearing big fish, work on your technique! :)

Probably the most powerful for its size was Iyadivers little Riffe Metal Tech. under 1m long and 5 rubbers, accurate to 9m... :ko

best gun is the one you feel comfortable and you can aim with... accuracy is not question of gun but the hunter... and as said before the length in this case is not your main concern... power is only needed when shooting big game or far.. you should ask yourself if you are going to go after some >100Kg fish.. then you might need something powerful.. but I would say recomend something 110cm... but just look for the places where you are most likely to go hunting... then look for your gun in relation to the fish and conditions... good viz, longer reach needed..etc..

Pekka

for the places you mentioned and the size of the fish, 150cm gun is totally useless....

Did you ever handle or see 150cm euro gun in real??? jumping from 75 to 150 is huge!!!

Since you have 75 you can buy 110cm next as your biggest gun. The longer gun in med. is useless in %99 situations.

you think it (speargun) will be just tooooooo big for a small fish like i ment?or that its just not good of another reason?i know river hunters use very very short guns so it whount get into the sea grass and stuff...

The problem i had on my picasso (75) was that the range was sooooooo short that it was very hard to reach the damn fish(small and big)!!!So now i hope if i get a speargun with a high range it will be no porb for me!!Becuase last year i saw very much nice fish with about 3kl but just couldnt get close inought!!!!so i desided to get a VERY³ long range speargun now!!!

Last edited:
Alexander, I'm hardly the most experienced guy around here, but in my opinion your problem would not be the power/lenght of the gun. You will probably need to improve your technique in order to get closer to the fish you mentioned. Probably 90% of the spearos in Europe use guns up to 110 at the most. IMO a 100 or 110cm gun will be good enough for any of the places you mentioned in case the vizibility is OK. As regards the river spearing I personally don't know of a river that has visibility good enough to be able to see the end of the spear of a 150cm gun.
Cheers!

"what other disadvantages of 150cm gun?"

well...

Based on your 75cm gun... and thinking the difference between my 80cm and 110cm gun. :hmm

its impossible to track the med sea fishes with 150cm gun if you are not exclusively hunting big fish like AJ in open water with boat etc...

very tiring to move around ALL day with it.

very hard to find suitable bands and shaft at that size.

Spear will ruin with the first impact to the rock.Which will happens frequently in typical med sea hunting styles..

150cm gun is hard to travell with probably will not fit in any "normal sized" car...

You will only get 3-4 meter extra range compared to 75 which will serve nothing probably since you will not able to track the fish and shoot the fishes from silly distances by relying on long gun.

You will not able to shoot the fishes in the caves which is the primary hunting style in med sea...

You will have very hard time to load it so you will not want to shoot the fish because the loading process will be so hard.Of course i assume you will be "able" to load it once or twice.

From technical point of view,

The 150cm barell (tube) will be bent, that means accuracy and power loss..

since the spear is long it will be heavy so with single band even with 20-21mm band (probably you will not able to load it with those bands) spear will fly slower and slower after some distance. Thus you will not able to reach those fish lurking far away you mentioned.

You can solve spear speed isssue by putting double bands on it. But by doing this, you will overload the triggger mech., most of the euro trigger mech. may fire itself under heavy load which may cause serious disaster to you or diving buddy. When you put double on it, i can not imagine what will happen to standart euro gun barell. With double bands there will be too much recoil and standart euro guns are not designed to handle (counter balance or counter recoil) such power so your shoot will hit anywhere but not the target :hmm

There are many more diadvantages such lon gun but you have try to see :)

If you want versatile long range gun that will accompany to your 75 get 110. Seriously those things (spearguns) are not firearms you can not expect to hit the target very far away. You should practice your technique, i did not see or heard anybody whose needs that long gun to get specific fish in med.

If you want long range gun and not thinking of doing cave hunting you can get 106-120 cm double band wood guns from italy. They are good guns and you can find decent info about them if you search the forum but no matter what gun you are using, it does not guarentee the succesfull hunt. Its the diver that matters not gun.

Reactions: Shadowkiller
ok,i see now so i(you) prefer a smaller 120cm gun then,but what ?

i want a Imesion only...!

what should i take then???a T4 or Pro model?

and what happens if i just make the spear shorter??? and put a 160cm spear???Will this be ok??
or it will lose accuracy or some thing....

and can you replace a 7mm spear with a 6mm spear????

Thanks man

due to physic facts, tube shaped lighter euro guns will not have enough mass and shape to shoot accurate enough for med. sea fishes. This in including Imersion. For double band guns you should look for something else rather than big production brands.

160cm spear is already standart for 120cm gun and too short for 150cm gun you may not even able to mount the spear even if you put it you will not see the end of it for aiming with closed muzzle.

6mm shaft will be overpowered with double bands and shaft will flex and oscialte during the fly thus it will be inaccurate.

chech those if you like,

http://www.totemsub.it/

http://www.dapiran.it/initial.htm

http://www.abellansub.com/

But in my opinion those double band guns are pain to use if you are extremely novice and miscalculate your requirements. That types of guns generally used for "apetto" technique which requires some experiance and knowledge to perform it. Not to mention you should be in a good fish spot to get nice fishes with that technique too..

thanks i looked to thoes and found a favorite

but,can you cange rubber bands=16mm to 13mm or 13 to 18mm
its because of my old piccasso!

Generally speaking a 90-110cm tube will be your maximum requirement in terms of length. Anything else is crazy overkill and will be of no use what so ever!

Hello, Everyone, firstly, this is my first post, Very nice forum,
Back to the point.

I live in Cyprus and spearfish mostly for Amberjack, The best speargun that I have ever used is the Cressi Geronimo – Elite Camo. It comes with a reel "that you could add to most guns anyway" but it is just the perfect length to still be powerful yet maintain agility in the water. Its not the best speargun for the money because you can get some nice wooden riffe units for less, Though when you use the cressi you will know what I mean, It feels perfect, its so accurate and the general swinging about in the water after the faster amberjack is so easy compared to a lot of other spearguns. If this does not "float your boat" the I would think seriously about a mid mount handles riffe speargun.
Best Spearguns

Last edited:
Hi Spearguns from Cyprus
Can you tell me if I can on Cressi Geronimo Elite Camo Speargun mount a Dynema Wishbone? I have seen on the Cressi Sub page this guns comes with articulated steel wishbones, and my question it's possible to use Cressi Geromino Elite Camo shaft with Dynema Wishbones or shoud shaft also be adequate to dynema wishbones? I'm thinking to buy this gun. Regards GT

Hi Spearguns from Cyprus
Can you tell me if I can on Cressi Geronimo Elite Camo Speargun mount a Dynema Wishbone? I have seen on the Cressi Sub page this guns comes with articulated steel wishbones, and my question it's possible to use Cressi Geromino Elite Camo shaft with Dynema Wishbones or shoud shaft also be adequate to dynema wishbones? I'm thinking to buy this gun. Regards GT

you will need to get a finned spear instead of the notched one that (presumably?) comes with it. also the muzzle would need to be switched for an open muzzle to allow the finned spear to pass through. probably cheaper to get a gun that come with that configuration to start with. check out mako spearguns, you can get any muzzle/spear configuration you want. the guns are a bit better than a cressi's guns. I use alot of cessi stuff,and i love the company as a whole, but their guns are little lightweight for american waters. they are designed primarily as a euro gun, for shooting small fish with light spears-mostly near shore. For that- they are ok ,(maybe?)

you will need to get a finned spear instead of the notched one that (presumably?) comes with it. also the muzzle would need to be switched for an open muzzle to allow the finned spear to pass through. probably cheaper to get a gun that come with that configuration to start with. check out mako spearguns, you can get any muzzle/spear configuration you want. the guns are a bit better than a cressi's guns. I use alot of cessi stuff,and i love the company as a whole, but their guns are little lightweight for american waters. they are designed primarily as a euro gun, for shooting small fish with light spears-mostly near shore. For that- they are ok ,(maybe?)
Hi JTK West thanks for you answer as said I don't now well american guns like riffe, mako etc. And I'm living in Switzerland very near to Italy that means I prefer to buy from Italians neighbors just in case that is something wrong and I'm very near than here. But I think I'm going to buy a good pneumatic gun just have to little wait I'm still not sure which one!!! By the way are you Cuban??? Regards Goran

i'm irish actually, but i have many cuban friends. key west has alot of cubanos, (as you probably already know) btw- you can get a finned spear from omer (italian)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT