• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What should I eat?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

cheese

a dairy product
Nov 1, 2002
I noticed this comment by efattah in another thread:
"But then, sleep apnea sufferers desaturate their blood far more than freedivers and far more frequently, and they don't take the appropriate nutrition to handle the stress they are putting their bodies through."

So that got me thinking, what IS the appropriate nutrition for a freediver? An I'm not talking about any supplements or stuff like that, just what kind of food is good for freediving training?

I've never given any thought to this before, so it would be interesting to see if I can make a difference simply by altering my diet.

What you should eat

Cheese:

This is an important topic. One I take very seriously. However, it is too lenghtly to post my total diet and why. But one thing that I believe is important is to eat iron rich foods, but with vitamin C foods to help with the absorption of iron. Just like vitamin D helps with the absorption of calcium, some foods (vitamins) work together. You will improve your hemoglobin which carries oxygen when you increase your iron intake. Also stay very hydrated in order to increase your blood volume. I don't mean just the day of the dive, but for days, if not on a regular basis.

I also cut out processed sugars in my diet a couple of days prior to diving, and significantly reduced it the remainder of the time. This is the first year I tried it, and it helped tremendously with equalizing hands free. The sinus cavities and E. tubes are so much clearer, if not perfectly clear. There are plenty of sweet fruits to substitute simple carbohydrate snacks.

Good luck with the diet.

Jim

I laughed (inside) the first time that I heard Jim's sugar theory. However, the one time that I followed his advice, no sinus problems. Every other time that I went deep, I had eq problems and blew a sinus -- so I'm convinced.

Jim has the best statics of anyone we dive with.

BTW, the "Breathe-up" photo in my signature is actually Jim.

"I also cut out processed sugars in my diet a couple of days prior to diving, and significantly reduced it the remainder of the time. This is the first year I tried it, and it helped tremendously with equalizing hands free. The sinus cavities and E. tubes are so much clearer, if not perfectly clear. There are plenty of sweet fruits to substitute simple carbohydrate snacks."
Sorry but, what are processed sugars? what kind of food have them?

Thanks

Very simple my little grasshopper

Hey cheese!

Very simple eat healthy and increase your metabolism by either resistance (i.e. weightlifting) or endurance (i.e. cycling) based training.

Eating healthy means:

1. Avoid processed and canned foods. Basically what you find commonly in the supermarket should be avoided.

2. Eat quality protein and complex carbohydrates (fruit and green leafy veggies, nuts, organic wholemeal homemade bread, wholemeal pasta, oats... for example). For quality protein I mean organic produce and free-range. Fruit and veggies are included too. That it you can afford them.

3. Look after your EFFAs intake too (fish, fish oil, flaxseed, hemp, canola).

4. Avoid beverages and sugar based drinks.

5. Forget about supplements unless you have a serious deficiency in your diet, and you are overtrained or about to catch a cold; therefore take natural vitamin E and ascorbic acid -commonly called vitamin C, but the powdered version not the common sugared one that hardly contains any vitamin C. If you don't have access to those EFFAs supplement your diet with cod liver oil or flaxseed oil.

Good luck with your choice. Gerard.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT