• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Whats your Dream fish to catch for the 2010 Season

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Are spider crabs easy enough to catch ? also when and where in Cornwall is the best time and place to catch them if you dont mind me asking :)

They are super, super easy to catch!!! They are really slow and as soon as you pick them up, if you hold them upside-down, they just curl up in a ball! May is the best time for them.

I caught a 7lb'er last year - they taste amazing!

Gilthead Bream,Black Bream,Turbot and Brill:)

Oh and don't forget the monkfish:)

My only goal for the coming season is NOT to bump in to a Shark or anything else for that matter that might be big enough to take a chuck out of me!!!:blackeye:blackeye
And I would love to come across a Monkfish before Glowworm does.:)

What are you going to do with a monkfish anyway?

Fact File:
Common Name(s):
Monkfish
(others: Bellyfish; Frogfish; Sea Devil; Stargazer; Bulldog Shark; Goosefish)

Scientific Name:
Squatina squatina (Linnaeus, 1758)

Usual Size:
Known to at least 183cm, although may reach 244cm.

UK Record Weights from rod/line:
Shore:
Vacant
Boat:
66lb

Attachments

• monkfishD.jpg
    monkfishD.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 150
No they are not joe!
MONKFISH are considered very poor eating if not inedible!

I use Monkfish in Mediterranean fish stew, i would say it tastes better than Cod if cooked right, at certain times of the year i have seen it priced at £22kg in some supermarkets as the the tail is pretty much the only part you can fillet.

If you want to wind Mart up ask him if he's caught a "seabass" lately, when he's not catching "monkfish" that is.

Here's a picture of an anglerfish. I have caught one monkfish but no picture I'm afraid.

Dave.

Attachments

• Angler.jpg
    Angler.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 160
Sea Bass, Sea Bream, Sea bloody Scallops & now we have half of db called Monkfish edible! Grrrrrr

It appears you have a very limited pallet mart? thats unfortunate! not hungry enough to eat rabbit lol

What are you going to do with a monkfish anyway?

Use the tail , minus the bone , stuff it with anchovy fillets , sliced lemon , roasted red pepper , sun-dried tomatoes and saffron .
Tie it up at 25mm intervals and roast for 20 min's on a seasoned baking tray .
When cooked , keep warm and add fish stock to the roasting pan and reduce , add olive oil , butter and lemon juice , boil for 4 min's , add parsley and capers , spoon around the fish and serve .
Serve with crushed boiled potatoes mixed with watercress and olive oil .
Just an idea .
Saw some monkfish in waitrose the other day for £26 a kilo .

I going to ban the lot of you especially you Dave I thought you were a chef!!

If it makes you feel any better Mart , there's no such thing as ' monkfish ' , it's just a name that covers anglerfish and anglesharks .
Also we should not eat too many , not because they're horrible , but because the numbers are a bit low and they are caught by beam trawling .

Nope , no such thing , so if it doesn't exist you don't have to eat it , problem solved .
Hmm , looks like an angel shark .

I assume that some Flash Harry started calling anglerfish, monkfish because people had seen pictures in books etc of the ugly anglerfish and decided it needed rebranding but why they chose monkfish I don't know, especially as monkfish is not good to eat and nearly as ugly as an anglerfish. Or maybe it was from even earlier times when maybe anglerfish were landed whole rather than beheaded and skinned. Maybe people saw them and just didn't fancy the appearance of the whole fish and so it got a bad name.

Whatever I do know anglerfish were relatively common before they became really popular only 20 years ago and people started calling them monk fish. I used to see loads of them but with no commercial value we never bothered with them. Suddenly they became fashionable and the price soared. Soon as that happened the beam trawler fleet targetted them and fished them almost to extinction.

In recent times stocks of a deepwater, very ugly fish were discovered called the Pategonian toothfish. Nice meat (like the anglerfish) but who fancies an ugly toothfish? So Flash Harry calls them Chilean seabass. Sales go up for the processed fish fillets. Then it gets a mention in the first Jurasic Park film as the fish "no expenses spared" meal. Demand and prices rocket. Fishing effort rockets. Guess what? They're now very endangered.

What a vain and stupid type of being we are (present company excepted).

Dave.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT