• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Whats your Dream fish to catch for the 2010 Season

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Mart I just had a thought , angel sharks ( squatina squatina ) or monkfish are very poor eating .
Angler fish ( lophius piscatorius ) also monkfish are very good eating .
Maybe that helps ?

:friday Right then Monkfish are a guitar shaped fish that supposedly has very poor eating qualities but is very rare nowadays anyway.
There is an official british record for the Monkfish but it is not what you guys are calling a Monkfish.
What you are calling a Monkfish is an Anglerfish - if this were a cooking forum then maybe you could get confused but this is a spearfishing forum.
Try going on a rod fishing forum & calling a Anglerfish a Monkfish & you will be told the same!
Doesn't really matter but I think as fishermen we should at least use the right names & educate others who dont know this.

Last edited:
Reactions: podge and Tunny
What are you going to do with a monkfish anyway?

Fact File:
Common Name(s):
Monkfish
(others: Bellyfish; Frogfish; Sea Devil; Stargazer; Bulldog Shark; Goosefish)

Scientific Name:
Squatina squatina (Linnaeus, 1758)

Usual Size:
Known to at least 183cm, although may reach 244cm.

UK Record Weights from rod/line:
Shore:
Vacant
Boat:
66lb

Mart, I can’t believe it took you so long to bite..:):)
You gota love a bit of Sea Bream, although I reckon the sea black sea bream has the edge over the sea gilthead sea bream not to mention the sea lobster or of course your all time favourite the sea wild sea bass, not to mention the sea scallop that are soooo much tastier than the ordinary scallops……roflroflroflroflrofl

You know we loves you really Mart.:D:D

:friday Right then Monkfish are a guitar shaped fish that supposedly has very poor eating qualities but is very rare nowadays anyway.
There is an official british record for the Monkfish but it is not what you guys are calling a Monkfish.
What you are calling a Monkfish is an Anglerfish - if this were a cooking forum then maybe you could get confused but this is a spearfishing forum.
Try going on a rod fishing forum & calling a Anglerfish a Monkfish & you will be told the same!
Doesn't really matter but I think as fishermen we should at least use the right names & educate others who dont know this.

Foxfish you are quite right but I think on this one the culinary faction have won the day . Every customer , restaurant , supermarket , fishmongers and wholesalers call anglerfish monkfish , it's now ingrained in the language and psyche , it would be an uphill task to re-educate the whole population .
Monkfish was only a colloquial term for angelsharks anyway , not a scientific one , so not the end of the world .
As an aside , in UK waters angelsharks are now a totally protected species , so don't shoot them if you're lucky enough to see any .
Don't know if that applies to the Channel Isles , but don't shoot them anyway .

Regards ,
Dave .

Searched for Bass last year and never even so much as seen one! Plenty of mullet though.

As well as a nice bass I would like to get a double figure pollack.

Saw one monkfish last year but spent that long checking it out trying to work out what it was that it eventually swam off before i got a shot. Didn't want to shoot until we had identified it and made sure it was edible! Wasn't very big though.

Is a rock salmon a dogfish? I see stacks of them but don't really fancy them. Are they not too much work?

Is a rock salmon a dogfish? I see stacks of them but don't really fancy them. Are they not too much work?

Yep, Dogfish & Rock Salmon are the same beast.

Personally I think they're too cute to shoot, plus they writhe around for hours after you kill them, seriously!

yes, have stroked a few in my time.

have even seen them feed of small pieces of fish meat after a spear hits home.

Would bass normally school with mullet? We have plenty of the latter but maybe a bit too far north for the bass to be there in big numbers?

There are 2 species of dogfish, the lesser spotted and the greater spotted dogfish. Most people know the greater spotted dogfish as the bull huss (sometimes just huss).

Lesser spotted dogs only grow to about 3lb and are commonly seen by divers. They prefer flat sandy/gravel or mixed bottom usually in 20+feet.

Bull huss are a bigger species reaching 20lb and prefer reefy bottoms.

Both species look very similar and a small huss and a large lesser are hard to tell apart.

It's the bull huss that were sold as rock salmon. Lesser spotted dogfish are not to my knowledge sold for human consumption. However, I don't see why you shouldn't eat them and they must be similar in flavour to their larger brother huss.

Dave.

You dont need to shoot them,most times they can be hand caught. Bull Huss can also be taken this way.

Had a look for that double fig Turbot today,bit early in the season really but was good to stretch the lungs. Nothing seen by 2 of us in for 90 mins except a S/S spear for a Beauchat 75 gun which came home with me.

Good effort Nick, but although a big tubby is going to need luck whatever time of year, it would be very lucky at the moment. Turbot should be breeding offshore at present. All the big inshore tubs usually come later in the year. In my experience Sept/Oct/Nov is the prime time.

Dave.

I shot a few Turbot last year, but like Shiny1, I'm going to be after a big one this season.

Great Thread !!!!!!!

Im going to have to add a bream to my list now along with a fat shallow wreck cod!

1) Double figure bass
2) 14lb+ pollack
3) 5lb Bream
4) 5lb Cod

Thats my list and my aims for this year, a nice plaice would be bonus aswell :)

The brill/turbot you find in bays are up to 4lb or so. That said I know of a few flukes where fish to 20lb have come from water as shallow as 10foot. These really are not the norm and you probably stand more chance of winning the lottery than getting a big turbot that close in. Legal min size is only a pound or so and that's too small, but every year I get at least a half dozen around the 2 to 4lb mark, from the bays by both day and night diving.

Bigger brill and tubs are fish of strong tides. Big tide runs and gravel banks go hand in hand. Strong tides mean that sand is washed away even in the lee of reefs etc but heavier gravel settles out. Brill never bury but turbot can and often do. Both fish are very hard to spot most of the time although occasionally they will not perfectly match the sea bed and can more easily be seen.

To be honest you need scuba and a ton of experience to catch these fish consistantly. Even if you could freedive the depths needed, the tide run would be too much.

However, freediving, maybe from a boat, in 30 to 40 foot at slack tide over a gravel bottom, especially where sandeels are present and you've got a chance. Late in the year would be even better.

Good luck anyway.

Dave.

Ok, in order of preference:
Albacore
Gilthead Bream
Red Mullet
30 pound+ Striped Bass (just for old times sake!)

Reactions: foxfish
Only just noticed this thread, but think i already got my dream fish for the year (possibly for a few years)!
8kg Dentex on my annual April Med adventure!:friday:friday

Reactions: sunfish
Not too good at this computing, don't know how to get pics up!
Might try tomorrow, how does it work?
got it in the med in quite shallow really, about 18/17m, was watchin a smaller one for a bir and then the nice one tried to swim underneath me!
if i can learn the piccy thing then i'll try to do it properly with a better story!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT