• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What's your preferred aerobic training for freediving?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

What is your preferred aerobic discipline for freediving?

• Swimming

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • Running/Treadmill

Votes: 30 28.6%
  • Cycling

Votes: 35 33.3%
  • Rowing

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Other

Votes: 10 9.5%

• Total voters
Originally posted by Jason Billows
I know that the Polar heart rate monitors are water resistant, but I'm not sure of the depth limits.

During freediving workshop with Kirk Krack we took a heart rate monitor and hooked it up to Kirk's laptop computer. Kirk was running a program that read the heart rate monitor and plotted it onto a graph. We did various exercises including some statics and it was really interesting to see how your heart rates change throughout the various stages of a static.

Jason Billows
Ottawa, Canada

Polar has water resistan HRM's up to 50 m
The A3 that i'm buying is 30 m WR

be careful with those figures. It may state that it is water resistant upto 50m or 30m, but that is a static pressure. When you dive you can cause a spike of pressure on the watch which can be greater than the depth rating of the watch, thus may ruin the watch. That is the case for casio watches, it is in the little manual you get with them, got v bored and actually read the damn thing!!! It stated that a 30m-50m resistance was suitible for swiming, any lower was suitable for the shower and rainy days. For diving you needed to get into the 200m+ numbers!

There are heart rate moniter that have a memory which can be downloaded onto computers, though most have only 5sec sampling rate and cost around £150 mark.

So to round up, ask lots of annoying questions with the dealers
:)

Yup, pressure ratings on watches are misleading. 100m is the recommended figure for snorkelling, 200m for scuba, so I'd say 200m for freediving too.

Having said that, I've managed to flood 2 Casio watches and a Beaver diving watch, both rated for 200m. Managed to crack the glass on some rocks :(

So now I'm using a Casio G-Shock, hopefully it'll take a bit more abuse!

Ramstam- My monitor is a Polar.Itwas a few years old and getting a bit spotty before I wore it under water. It's been down to 52 feet of salt water, and still works most of the time.

My rate is around 79-80 while slowly finning and breathing up. It drops to 59-67 when I drop down to 20 feet. Part of that change may be from moving to much cooler water. If your resting is in the 40s I'd like to see what it drops to when you're under water.

Can you get them to read through a wetsuit?

I've used mine while swimming laps and playing underwater hockey, once, but never thought that I would be able to get a reading through 6+mm of wetsuit.

Jon

The sensor straps on around your chest under the wet suit. The read out is on your wrist like a watch, over your suit. I have no idea how the sensor communicates with the readout, and I was surprised when it worked underwater. I also strap on a $5 digital watch with a stopwatch feature and a capillary depth guage. Whenever the watch gets scratched I buy another at walmart.

I saw a man on french tv yesterday cycling in a pool:confused:
Let me explain, they put a static bicycle(home trainer) at the bottom of the pool and the guy sit on the bike with his wetsuit and googles.

World guiness record ( ~800m), who want to break the record?:duh

If I had a house with a pool I would put in my pool an old cycling hometrainer
why? because private pool are too short for training (<25 yards)

Back in 2000 I did many heart rate experiments diving in a lake to 33m. I used two monitors: Polar Vantage NV (says 20m resistant but I took it to 40m+), and I used an Addidas HRM which was 100m resistant. Only the polar could remember the graph for later transfer to PC.

The main problem was 'glitches' at depth. Apparently the chest collapses so much that the HRM strap looses contact and causes glitches. You must tighten the chest strap uncomfortably tightly on the surface.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Wouldn't it be cool to have sublingual pulse monitors (that you couldn't choke on of course)?! I reserve the patent! :D

The carrying the rock, or rubber brick in my case, is great & fun! As well, I like to row, but it gets boring. Skipping rope is cheap and easy (plus, I hate running). Come winter, it'll be x-country skiing.

Eric, what's a front snorkle look like? Can you send me a link?

Last edited:
Hi Guy's 'n Gals

Hope you all had a great weekend !! .I have been told that one of the best forms of freediving training is underwater hockey...so will be starting this week. Just how good, I will monitor my depth / bottom time over the next few months and see, but apparently it's an awesome training method.

Cheers

Jeff

Hello Guys!

following the discussion about the heart rate during dive session, I have a few inputs here:

http://csm.appa.free.fr/dossiers/apnee_scientifique.php (training session)

http://csm.appa.free.fr/dossiers/apnee_FC_statique.php (static apnea)

http://csm.appa.free.fr/dossiers/apnee_FC_dynamique_rapide.php (fast dynamic)

http://csm.appa.free.fr/dossiers/apnee_FC_dynamique_lent.php (slow dynamic)

Sorry this is in French, and sorry again there is no deep dive (rather dynamic and static training).

@+
Jeff

Reactions: donmoore
translation

Interesting articles Jeff!!! And for those who do not master the french language, use this site to translate the webpages in english:

www.systransoft.com

It's not always a perfect translation, but very understandable.

Fred

Reactions: donmoore
Well... after 7 months of physical condition vs static times experiences, it seems (in my case) that real freaky static times can be acheived after running
sessions (around 80-85% of MHR, 30-45 minutes)
or loooong bike rides (around 60-70% MHR, 2-4 hours). But primarly, the best response is 2-3 hours
after running, even better next day after a good night sleep. Maybe there's some HR*Time Constant to be satisfied? :) Any phisiological foundation for this responses?

Any comments apreciated!

Love And Happiness,

Oscar

I think swimming in hipoxia is one of th e best trains you can have... but a very good aerobic training should be a good part of your over all.

"Well... after 7 months of physical condition vs static times experiences, it seems (in my case) that real freaky static times can be acheived after running
sessions....."
Oscar
Not to be dis-agreeable but, during the last 6 months, my experience has been almost the opposite. From 5 hrs/week to 2 on the bike and at an easier pace because of a hip problem. One CO2, O2 and max session, not only maintained my static time, but improved it a little. I don't know how much the technique refinement and coaching effected things though.
Aloha
Bill

Hi all, I'm a high schooler in Wisconsin and our school recieved a $250,000 grant for being one of the top high school fitness programs in the Nation. Our gym classes are very hardcore, and 99% of the people in our school hate it. This isn't go out and play kickball, we have a very demanding schedule. There is the lazy gym class, they still have to run a lot, but they play games. I am in Advanced Fitness and Body Conditioning

Monday - Tae Bo, Stretching, Yoga, Running

Tuesday - Heart Rate Monitors. We work out for 20 minutes, to pass you must keep your heart rate at 160-180 for 15 of the 20 minutes. After that, cool down

Wednesday - Work out Wednesday. We have 6 different activities, rotated every week.
1. Two mile run
2. Steal the Pins (Very active game, like steal the flag)
3. Pacer
4. 45 minute jog
5. Sprints
6. Stretching, Cardiovascular

Thursday - Heart Rate Monitors

Friday - Free Day. (basketball, soccer, ultimate frisbee, if we aren't constantly working, we don't pass the days lesson.)

This may sound like a lot for a 15 yr. old, but i like it. Our school offers everything from rollerblading too cardio and weight rooms that are open to students. My second class of the day is conditioning. This is probably the hardest work out of my entire life. Instead of having a class every day for a semester, we have it 3 days a week, then 2 days a week, 3 days a week, 2 days a week, etc. Our schedule looks like this

Run, Run, Run, Stretch, Run some more, Push-ups, Run, Sit-ups, Push-ups, More running, 2 mile jog, Sit-ups, etc.

95% of the students in this class are joining the military, and they take this class because it puts you in the best shape of your life. I'll also be taking weight-training later in high schoool too. Right now i am very out of shape after a bad knee injury and broken bones, so i willl try to get back in shape this summer.

Aloha Bill,
These are my facts :)
My CO2 tables are now much more comfortable than last year, in which my general fitness was real poor. Maybe the work near Lactate Threshold has improved my blood buffers, lactid acid clearance for dynamics, etc. Don't know the reasons..
I've done lots of aerobics (all zones) and anaerobic work
Also, much more comfortable and longer dynamics if done a day after a 5-10 km run or 60 km bike ride the day after. But yes, this aerobic must be done (don't know why it works like this for me) at 60-70% MHR.. you know, like recovery rides. So time translated, the workouts are like 45 minutes slowwwwww jog or 2 hours high cadence low force bike ride.
I think this things are real personal and this is what works for me :)

Right now my times are Low, even for a beginner, because i am horribly out of shape. I just recently got out of a caste, but soccer, diving, more diving, and then more soccer starts this summer, so hopefully i'll be good again. I think running works more than anything else. My neighbors have one of those training pools in their house, were you swim against the water, and that works amazingly good, but it's VERY expensive. They also have a big deep pond that they said i could use.

BlueIcarus
I'm not surprised about good statics the day after a recovery type ride or feeling more comfortable when you're in better aerobic condition, but the rides seem to hurt my dynamic and constants the next day. Maybe I'm riding a little too hard and/or too much gear. Back to an hrm and give it a try.
Thanks
Bill

Be careful pushing any of the HR monitor buttons UW....that can flood the unit.....

And my readings from HR monitors have been spotty UW anyway....so I leave them in the dry areas.....

I use them pretty exstensively for run and bike training, mostly keeping my HR in the 70-75% range, for aerobic training. I will do some intervals at higher intensity too....but most of my aerobic stuff is an hour or more in that aerobic 70-75% range.

For swimming I leave the HR monitor out......my workouts are a mix of long aerobic swims 30+ min, and hard anaerobic intervals..... (I am a swim coach, so I know how to plan workouts that are of value.)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT