• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Where should I move to spend 3-6 months focusing on freediving

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

noob_spearo

Jun 8, 2016
I am planning on moving somewhere reasonably tropical with clear waters to make freediving and spearfishing my priority for 3-6 months.

I am looking for advice on which countries/diving schools would be best to pursue this dream and take my freediving skills to the next level. Of course the plan will be to move after COVID, so right now next summer if things get better.

About myself; I am 28 years old and have been freediving and spearfishing on and off for about 5 years. The deepest I have gone is 54ft but I have never pushed myself to do better. All my dives are about a minute and very comfortable. Everything I have learned is from books and diving buddies - I have never taken a freediving course before. I would like to be able to dive over 100ft comfortably and shoot fish at depth.

The locations i have been considering are Okinawa Japan, Bali and Thailand. I'm leaning towards Okinawa just because I have always wanted to visit Japan. I don't mind being limited to only fishing with a pole spear.

My budget is max $1000 a month for living expenses and max $500 a month for freediving expenses.

Any suggestions?

I am in Thailand and am in much the same shoes you are in. I am currently living in the city but I am looking to move/rent to a location within Thailand where I am spending most of my time spearfishing. I am currently making day trips from the city but it is just not doing it for me, it is way too exhausting. I am actually waiting on equipment to do some longer trips but it is seriously taking very long for anything to arrive (bring everything you need wherever you happen to go).

You budget would be more than doable in Thailand and Bali, but Japan I am not sure. I also believe the instruction you would get in Thailand would not be quite as good as other parts of the world, but that is just a guess. There is one spearfishing specific instructor that I know of here though. I just don't know much about him. I am not looking to take any classes myself.

I have some spots in mind that are good to decent viz year round. Feel free to shoot me a pm if you feel like it.

I think they have a freedive course in the Philippines. As far as your budget check the currency exchange rate where ever you go to see if it’s enough for you.

Although it's not tropical, you can dive all-year-round in Malta, and they have a couple of great freediving schools there. The cost of living is also very cheap for Europe.

Reactions: Johny Depth
If I could live anywhere for freediving, I’d choose Guam. Some areas have 100’ visibility, and it has a very robust tourism industry and not in a bad way like Thailand. I found that in Thailand, the locals try to trick and cheat you. But, Guam is not cheap. The Philippines would be my second choice. There are so many places to choose and it is very cheap to live in a small hotel on the beach. However, everything seems to move very slowly in the Philippines. I waited over an hour to exchange money at a bank and finally had to leave without completing the transaction. It usually took about an hour to get a meal at a restaurant after ordering. My diving classes were scheduled to start at 8am each morning but usually started closer to 10am. If you can put up with locals following you around trying to sell you something and the slow pace, the Philippines is a great place to dive. Still, I think about Guam ever day.

If I could live anywhere for freediving, I’d choose Guam. Some areas have 100’ visibility, and it has a very robust tourism industry and not in a bad way like Thailand. I found that in Thailand, the locals try to trick and cheat you. But, Guam is not cheap. The Philippines would be my second choice. There are so many places to choose and it is very cheap to live in a small hotel on the beach. However, everything seems to move very slowly in the Philippines. I waited over an hour to exchange money at a bank and finally had to leave without completing the transaction. It usually took about an hour to get a meal at a restaurant after ordering. My diving classes were scheduled to start at 8am each morning but usually started closer to 10am. If you can put up with locals following you around trying to sell you something and the slow pace, the Philippines is a great place to dive. Still, I think about Guam ever day.
I don’t have those problems where we are as far as exchanging money and eating. Not sure where you were but in the cities I can see it but in the provinces no problems. We have a house about a three minute walk to beach. Guam is a great place also I have friends who live and dive there. One day I’ll make it there but for now I’ll stick with my 83 degree water with almost 100 foot vis in some places most of the time we have at least 70 to 80 foot vis.

Do you have any recommendations for good schools in Guam?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT