• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Which camera to mount on speargun??

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
For all of the praise I've read about the Go-Pro 5, there's a bit of chatter on some of the photo forums about how bad their new HD camera is- so bad they are even talking of a complete housing re-design. I guess that the issues weren't noticeable in the two previous versions because the video resolution wasn't high enough.

Hello Jon, which forums in particular? Thanks.
PS. Nice looking camera bracket.:thankyou

I think it was Wetpixel. Something about how the housing lens doesn't keep up with the improved picture quality of HD, yet goes unnoticed in the 5mp version.

Mediterranean bracket:

Self made
Simple
All round
Quick to assemble
Fast remove

dietrot.jpg

latok.jpg

impugnatura.jpg

staffag.jpg

For all of the praise I've read about the Go-Pro 5, there's a bit of chatter on some of the photo forums about how bad their new HD camera is- so bad they are even talking of a complete housing re-design. I guess that the issues weren't noticeable in the two previous versions because the video resolution wasn't high enough.

Jon

When I look at this $250, matchbox size camera's FOOTAGE, I don't care what people say.

YouTube - GoProCamera's Channel

No matter what they say about the lens (ridiculous) ask them to give You another $250 camera that will shoot Full HD, or 60p, that You can take to, let's say -85m. Yes, there is a guy who took it that deep no problem.

I just wonder what they say about the lens. Lens is a piece of glass (or plastic) that lets the light go thru, it has nothing to do with HD. HD has to do with sensor, either CMOS or CCD, one or multiple.

Same story goes when DSL started to push away film DSL'r, manufacturers and sellers of photo equipment recommended new lenses for Digital DSL. But Pro's did't
believe the scam, it was consumers who bought unnecessary lenses.

Perhaps, I can add my two cents. I own a GoPro HD camera and used it EXTENSIVELY under water on my scubadiving and freediving trip in South-East Asia. I used a head-strap (which was also hooked up to my mask strap for security puposes). I have probably 20 hours of underwater footage and here is my conlusions:

1) Above-water HD picture quality(1920x1080) is spectacular, albeit a picture is a bit darkish.
2) Under-water is not as good

The reason for the bad underwater quality is in my opinion a very small sensor - it simply does not collect enough light. So a video in 640x480 made my Panasonic 5 mp digital camera is even of a slightly better quality. Even above water the picture is a bit dark, but the detail is amazing! Another BIG issue is fogging up of the lense cover on the inside of the case. The case is so close in its internal dimensions to the camera itself that there is practically no place to add some silica gel for moisture absorbsion (but it is still possible if done carefully, I think).

Still I think the camera can be mounted on a head or a gun to track a spear for example to determine if you shoot high or low. Just do not expect a lot of detail, especially in a low-light condition. It definitely requires a powerful light source.

There are several version of this camera, I got the cheapest one without a headstrap being standard, but the seller gave it to me for free. If you plan to attach it to a gun, do not worry about a head strap.

The camera is noiseless and if you get an 8gb SD card, you can shoot non-stop for about 2 hours at highest resolution. It is easy to turn on/start/stop/restart without looking but you need to read the manual.

I will definitely use it on my next spearfishing trip to a clear water. I will keep it on my head.

Cheers!

P.S. About scratching the lense cover. For underwater shooting you can scratch it like there is no tomorrow! Scratches are not visible in the water. But once you take it out of the water, it might be a problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: paddygoat
the low light is a big problem with all the gopro models which is a shame as its a nice camera. they sell for around £285 over here (UK) and for a few quid more you can get a much better underwater camera albeit bulkier.

I would rather have a bulky camera and awesome video especially in the UK.

Finally got to try out the gopro HD video camera underwater in canary islands. Verdict: Not good for spearfishing. Makes my fish look small and reproduction in low light is not good. On a positive note, I did use the wide angle lens capability for some website photography and in good light the reproduction was fantastic, especially with a bit of a tweak in photoshop to remove the 'goldfish bowl' effect.

The video below was shot with my trusted bonica snapper HDDV:

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool video, Paddygoat! Actually not that bad! What is the native resolution of the video? Did you use silica gel inside to fight fogging up?

One suggestion. That fish you were trying to get before 2min 55sec mark (before the ray appeared). If you stay still on the bottom, they might come very close to you. Just wait a little bit, do not move!

Cheers vrokhlenko. It's 1080 x 720. Looks better on my PC! I'll go back today and try your recommendation.

Cheers vrokhlenko. It's 1080 x 720. Looks better on my PC! I'll go back today and try your recommendation.

The idea is that instead of you coming to fish (and scaring it) you wait for fish to come to you. Certain type of fish (mullet, for example) are curious and would do that. But you have to lie down still before they see you! The problem is that this type of technique is boring and requires an ability to grab onto something on tthe bottom because on shallow depth your buoyancy tries to pull you up. You also get cold faster. But for some fish is the (almost) only chance to be taken.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT