• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

which euro rail gun?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

jtkwest

recreational user
Dec 2, 2007
i am looking into buying a 90 to 110 cm rail gun to add to the collection. i have four guns now, and they are all wood guns. and all long. the short one ,(a riffe 42" rear handle teak) i gave to my 15 year old son, so now ineed a shorter gun for shallow stuff we do occaisonally here in key west. so i was checking out this video on you tube , where they shoot like 15 euro style guns , side by side to compare accuracy, and hammerhead evolution won with seac-x close second, and riffe euro represented well also. but surprisingly some of the bigger names were inaccurate, if you go on you tube, type in" spearfishing accident" and this video comes up. there isno accident in it , so it is obviosly mislabeled,, but informative indeed. so now that i have driveled on, which gun is best in this style? anyone ever use a hammerhead speargun? how about seac?x? i was checking out some of the aluminum models,(i cant afford carbon fiber on this gun, since it will be kindof a loaner, and xtra gun.) so i was checking out dive inn's web site and they have beauchat mundial pro for like 150$, also cressi,(whose stuff i like) has a couple REAL cheap ones, picasso is reasonable too, but i have never seen any of these guns up close, and there really is no way for me to get to a store that has this stuff in stock, since all the stores here in key west , only have wooden guns with a few mares 75cm , and thats it. so helpme out.

omer hf hf2 r worth a look mine r great for snapper snooping dead on target but that said they r load under water. never had any worries with my rob allens either

You couldn't go wrong with the hammerhead. I have a hammerhead muzzle on my RA 110 and really like it. I've heard the rest of the gun is as well made.

But I'm staying with my Rob Allens.
90, 100, 110, and 130. They justs work too well not to stay with them whenever i use a gun.
Mostly I'm using an 8' Gat-Ku pole spear with slip tip. Makes me work harder than a gun, and it's really well made.
Howard

Hey I have a 110 Rabitech you can use to test out.I travel to KeyWest daily...so let me know..and I know a store that sells Rob Allen stuff...

Last edited:
Reactions: Erik
I had a Rob Allen 900 Carbon Signature Series I let go for about $160 bucks a few weeks ago (brand new). Just a tad bit too long for the conditions I dive. Besides, a friend of mine's Soviet made pneumo took a dump while we were on a trip together. Cool little gun until it basically popped or lost ALL of it's air. The "O" rings were totally shot - He was mad! :vangry But I put a smile on his face with the 90cm! :)

You can't go wrong with a RA...I love mine! Sweet shootin' and neutrally buoyant until fired. Nice camo job too! :t

Here's my 700 signature series carbon...I know...I did'nt need a carbon barrel on such a short gun but hey...I picked it up REALLY cheap - Could'nt resist!

The JBL in the background is just a back-up gun...But it has killed a plethora of fish!

Hammer Head guns perform nice...A former buddy of mine uses one...He loves it. But he has had a few minor issues with it as far as I know. I myself dont like PLASTIC line release pins - As I could see myself easily breaking one. RA offers a STAINLESS line release pin on some guns - Like mine. That and thier reputation for being ULTRA reliable made Rob Allen an easy choice for me! :inlove

Last edited:
yeah guys, i know rob allen is great, and rabitec, too, but they both are over 400 $, ican get a cressi 120for 140$ , a beauchat 120 for 170$, a mark valentin110 for 190$ and the hammerhead is like235$ for a 130! if it shoots laser accurate out of the box, probably is worth it. eventually, i will get a rob allen or an aimrite carbon fiber, but i need a gun to lend out ,and as an extra gun on the boat, so aluminum is fine, plus go on you tube and type in spearfishing accuracy( someone fixed it )and you will see hammerhead evolution and seacsub-x fire outshoot EVERYONE.hawaii skin diver magazine did it , check it out, pretty convicing, especially since both guns cost less than 250$ when they outshot 450$ guns!(omer, RA, etc.)

Hey I have a 110 Rabitech you can use to test out.I travel to KeyWest daily...so let me know..and I know a store that sells Rob Allen stuff...

sounds like a plan, maybe this wknd. i will be coming up yer way sat, a.m. maybe i could let you hold one of mine, or maybe you could come kill stuff with me, or me and my friend could come on your 31ft contender . please. pretty please.tell me i'm not wrong.(kidding)

Rob allen brand new for 218
https://www.flfreedivers.com/
Can't go wrong with a South African railgun.

EDIT: Also, about the HSD shootout. If you get used to any gun it will shoot as accurately as you can shoot. A typical hawaiian speargun setup is a euro gun with 2 9/16th bands and a 17/64 shaft. The hawaiian shooters were accustomed to shooting this way and the hammerhead was the gun that was setup as close as you could get to what the guys were shooting. Bottom line, you get used to a gun and you know where it will shoot. I know guys that are dead accurate with grossly overpowered riffe no ka oi's and islands but they hit exactly what they shoot at. (no disrespect to riffe)

Last edited:
Did the people doing the test have any kickbacks from the results. I wouldnt read to much into the results.plus you can tune just about any gun to be accurate and you will learn how the gun works in doing so?

you tube: spearfishing accuracy. check it out. the guns were "off the shelf" i'm sure you could tweak them, but why not SELL them tweaked?

Tweaked for who is the point here... Hawaiian style gun, shot by hawaiian guys=accurate.
If all my buddies shoot rabitech guns with a 7mm spear and 20mm band... and we did a gun shootout, the most accurate gun would be a railgun with a 7mm spear and 20mm shaft, setup most like how we normally shoot.
I don't know where I'm going here but the Hammerhead looks like a nice gun.. I almost bought it. It's up to you, you can get a lot of nice guns in the price range you're looking for.

Tweaked for who is the point here... Hawaiian style gun, shot by hawaiian guys=accurate.
If all my buddies shoot rabitech guns with a 7mm spear and 20mm band... and we did a gun shootout, the most accurate gun would be a railgun with a 7mm spear and 20mm shaft, setup most like how we normally shoot.
I don't know where I'm going here but the Hammerhead looks like a nice gun.. I almost bought it. It's up to you, you can get a lot of nice guns in the price range you're looking for.

actually , you are right, in a way because the guys said at the end that all of these guns could be MADE accurate with different spear/ band setups . plus they only shot like 12 models and there were plenty of good manufacturers not represented in the test such as aimrite for instance. plus each brand only had one model in one size represented which also speaks to the results. but it seems the purpose of the test was to test 110 cm euro style guns with relatively small spears with hawaiian floppers., . and ONLY those. just as an experiment i think. it seems that wayif you watch it. and the guys seem really surprised by the hammerhead doing so well. there were 4 guys and each shot each gun 3 times each and they pointed out that they all shot very close to the same. the guns that did well for one guy were the same that did well for the others and each guy said hammerhead evolution was 1st and seac x fire next with riffe 110euro doing well also.(which was reassuring because i got one of those and i LOVE that gun! any way i was just hoping someone could tell me something about any of those guns. the beauchat looks reaaly nice and it is CHEAP!! like 145$ for a 110 and it looks solid anyway plus like we all agree it could be tweaked with a heat treated riffe spear and some different bands and stuff. for that matter, the cressi is the cheapest at 120$ if im gonna tweak it anyway... well no one has any hammerhead evo. in stock anyway right now so we will see whats up

Go with Aimrite, Rabi, or RA. Sure there are cheaper (hammer, cressi) but as with everything in life, you get what you pay for.

Check this gun out

H.Dessault,Quattro classic

I have not tried this gun but I am very tempted too!

Its at the store on this site and costs (with shipping) About 220 U.S.

It also did pretty well on a hawaiian skin diver test but they said it was a little underpowered from off the shelf.

Check this gun out

H.Dessault,Quattro classic

I have not tried this gun but I am very tempted too!

Its at the store on this site and costs (with shipping) About 220 U.S.

It also did pretty well on a hawaiian skin diver test but they said it was a little underpowered from off the shelf.

yes, i saw that gun. it does look good. and for 220$ probably a bargain. i wonder if it has a heat treated spear? those silver spears that sometimes come on euro guns suck in my opinion. they bend quick! i just wish someone that HAS one of these would chime in. BTW/ how is the spearing in tonga? where is that?( excuse my ignorance)

Those guns have sweet shafts with mini shark fins and they are brown like the Riffe shafts not silver.

Ha Tonga is a small place dont worry I understand:rcardjk.

Its about 500 miles from Fiji(everybody knows where Fiji is Ha ha),
and the fishing is good, Here is a pic from last weekend.
You may also want to consider the pneumatics,my gun is pretty awesome!
I stoned the dog tooth(the big silver fish) and the white grouper with it:martial!
DSC02736.jpg

Reactions: foxfish
Deeperblue guys Podge (Paul) and Glowworm (John) have that Dessault Quatro gun too, and they love it. Glowworm has the carbon version and tells wonders about it.
I haven't tried it myself, but I've used and owned many items designed by Hugue Dessault and they were all great value for the price (Samourai mask, HD fins, Viper guns, HD pure latex bands, all excellent stuff for a very nice price).
You can't go wrong with it, my bet.

yeah guys, i know rob allen is great, and rabitec, too, but they both are over 400 $,

Hiya,

Both guns are great. (I can't speak for all of the pricings on RA we don't stock these anymore), but we're the US Distributor for Rabitech and I think you can find depending on the model, can find the Rabitechs in the range of $225-500.

It ranges from four models:
the
1) Hunter model which is similar to the RA in that it has an aluminum track,
2) Stealth model with the polymer track and thicker barrel,
3) Apex model with the stainless steel trigger mech (but some complained the traditional apex tapered toward the bottom and wasn't super comfortable for larger hands), so Rabitech came out with
4) The new Apex 3000 Model is definitely the higher end line, used even by well-respected gun builders Gary Onuna in Lanai, HI and poseidonsub spearguns, custome spearguns madet to order.

Here is Poseidonsub's review of the new handle:
poseidonsub.jpg

Best regards,

Erik Sun
Sumora Dive Tools
sumora, official distributors of Rabitech
erik@sumora.com
1 949 310 3393
USA Distributors for premier Spearfishing & Diving equipment: Rabitech Railguns, Freedivers Co. Spears, Tommy Botha Tuna Line, Spierre Fins
Sumora. Dive Anywhere.
Visit our blog: Spearfishing adventures

Hi Hugh.,
(Handle, trigger, line release, hardware)
Not the cheapest handle out there, but it's a beauty :)

The Rabitech guns with Apex 3000 handle are around 350-500 depending on Ali or Carbon, spear setup, etc, and the handle is our most expensive component.

Hope that helps -

Best regards,

Erik Sun

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT