• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Which of these ...Knives

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
The omer mini laser doesn't come with rubber straps hyeparis, Im guessing your thinking of a different knife. It comes with the sheath fitted to a velcro strap for your arm, i personally unscrewed the sheath from the velcro arm 'thingy' and have the plastic sheath threaded directly onto my weight belt.

Cheers Ian

Attachments

• om_5004m.jpg
    om_5004m.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 130
Best place for the mini laser in my opinion. That strap wouldn't stay put on my forearm and kept sliding down onto my wrist. I don't like that locking mechanism either, you have to double check the thing to make sure the knife will still be there next time you look.

grt advice it seems as many good knives as spearos toting them!

What I want is stilletto type to iki jime, serration a plus, line hook is great and one hand operation-in/out, with a click- ideal- the wenoka (first & second knives on my list seems like the have all these features, the catch is the sharpening (which greek seems to have answered) and the bending I have heard has happened with wenoka- has anyone heard or has had any experience with this bending the blade issue???

Seacidal can you post a link to that d-r grt white i'm curious to see it

Strangelove, I hear you brother- thats why I used the the screwdriver

Janner the omer mini was high on my list I really like it espcecially the harness and locking mech- just think its a tad too small- as a back up it might be golden!

Reactions: strangelove
I like the Hammond ABC by CRKT - very stout and practical.

crkt2605_hi.jpg

I have a Mini-Laser - I replaced the strap with a wide elastic band with velcro closures - works perfectly.

Last edited:
I like the Hammond ABC by CRKT - very stout and practical.

crkt2605_hi.jpg

I have a Mini-Laser - I replaced the strap with a wide elastic band with velcro closures - works perfectly.

looks k=like a freakin' scull crusher:martialtitanium or SS

No problem.
This thing excels at cutting kelp and gill rakers, which are the two primary reasons I carry it. It's also great for clearing off the anchor when it seems that half the kelp bed came up with it.

The serration pattern is wicked. Others are similar, but don't quite match up. Certainly not at the same price. I drill a hole through the handle and tie on some bungie cord for a lanyard. This also serves to loop over the sheath-end to help prevent losing the knife.

The only drawback is the sheath. As it wasn't intended to be a dive knife, but rather a deck/net knife for fishermen, the sheath is not up to snuff for divers. It can be modified with a little bungie cord and some creativity. But the knife can be bought without the sheath. Saves a couple bucks. I made up a sheath from some old nylon weight belt material, and stitched it up to fit. Works great.

You can get these knives for under $10 each. I buy them by the dozen, and replace it every year. They're cheap enough that I don't mind so much if I lose it or snap the blade. Which is quite hard to do.

I've spoken with a couple of knife manufacturers about developing a spearfishing dagger that would incorporate this Great White edge on one side, with a standard blade on the other. Perhaps with some luck, we'll be seeing something along these lines soon.

You should be able to find them at commercial fishing supply houses. I still carry a dagger, but for the price and the performance they deliver, I'll be carrying this as a strong second for some time.

Attachments

• Knife.jpg
    Knife.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 153
I use this knife for spearing and I must say Im very happy with it, its got a super sharp point and a serated edge with hook on one side. Perfect for all my needs.
The sheath is a bit hight profile but I wear it on my arm and have never even almost lost it or had any problems with it snagging.
Mini Sports knife 8cm long, made from stainless steel. Yellow - Americola
This one also looks the sh#t
[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sharky-Knife-blade-stainless-stee-l/dp/B000H1QT8O/ref=sr_1_19/026-4789404-8227606?ie=UTF8&s=sports&qid=1194954070785&sr=1-19]Amazon.co.uk: Aqua Sharky Knife, 14.5 cm long, blade 6.5cm made from stainless stee.l: Sports & Leisure[/ame]

No problem.
This thing excels at cutting kelp and gill rakers...but for the price and the performance they deliver, I'll be carrying this as a strong second for some time.

LOL Seacidal, the way you had described the knife it sounded like a MONSTER of a blade, so here I was expecting a small machete/hand saw- and I see this little thingyrofl. In all honesty though the knife seems like a very functional tool. The serration does look wicked, and for $10 you can't go wrong, with a few minor alterations that knife could be an excellent speros knife!!! thx for posting

STILL WONDERING if anyone has had any problems with the wenoka knives, as it seems this will be the knife that I'm most likely going to purchase

yeah, i also reckon the cheapest is the best.
currently use a 'Frost Knives' Knife, and have it attached to my weight belt. cost about €10, but i did add in a bungie to make sure it is retained!

Cressi Totem. wear it on calf, sharp as hell, and shiny for attracting predators:):). has a strong tip for plunging between the eyes:martial.

LOL Seacidal, the way you had described the knife it sounded like a MONSTER of a blade, so here I was expecting a small machete/hand saw- and I see this little thingyrofl. In all honesty though the knife seems like a very functional tool. The serration does look wicked, and for $10 you can't go wrong, with a few minor alterations that knife could be an excellent speros knife!!! thx for posting

STILL WONDERING if anyone has had any problems with the wenoka knives, as it seems this will be the knife that I'm most likely going to purchase

Glad to help. I realize the Great White knife doesn't look like much at all, but after using it I find I can't give it up. I still like a high quality spearfishing dagger, but there are some times I don't want to use a really good knife for a less-than-worthy task. I am guilty of having used my cheap knife as an improvised screwdriver (phillips and blade), allen wrench, pry bar, cleaver, chisel, hammer, etc.

Regarding the Wenoka knives, I used one with my scuba kit for a number of years. Very solid blade. The knife's construction was straightforward and simple, but good quality. It was a bit high profile for my spearing needs, but is still a decent knife for the money. Right now, I'm awaiting one of the Beuchat daggers (the smaller one). I looked at them recently and had to have one. My buddy raves about his (the large one), and they're built exceptionally well, yet reasonably priced.

Safe diving
Chip

If you like the Mako, Masahiro Mori sells it without the Spetton name on it for $35.

He also sells the Riffe knive without the Riffe name for $30. The wrist bungee was my own addition.

morifish@aol.com

This is the one I use also. I would never buy a thing from Leisure pro. Those guys are complete idiots and wouldn't know the first thing about diving or the gear they sell. I spoke to a local dive shop and anything that has been sitting in their shop for years or is returns goes to leisure pro and they turn around and sell it for new. :naughty If you try and return something them they just blow you off and ignore you.

If your a diver support your local divers or dive shop and buy from them. You wouldn't buy a computer from a farmer would you?

Last edited:
I would never buy a thing from Leisure pro. Those guys are complete idiots and would know the first thing about diving or the gear...If your a diver support your local divers or dive shop and buy from them. You wouldn't buy a computer from a farmer would you?

Amen brotha!!! Heard mixed things about Leisure pro, I always try to stick with the locals (even if it's a few cents more)

I've heard quite a few good things about the Beuchat, Seacidal, will definitely look into them.

Amen brotha!!! Heard mixed things about Leisure pro, I always try to stick with the locals (even if it's a few cents more)

I've heard quite a few good things about the Beuchat, Seacidal, will definitely look into them.

I personally have not had any problems with leisurepro, but I have not had any issues I needed them to resolve either, so...

I do agree though that when your local shop carries the item you need, support, support, support! Never hurts to have a good relationship with the local divers either...

Cressi Killer for me.

Small & stainless on a sheath on my leg. Doesn't stay sharp like the titanium - but I don't care and sharpen after every dive anyway using a whetstone and oil.
These knives are not expensive at about £15 I think.

The chances me losing my knife is pretty high, I've lost two in the last 4 years - depending on what kind of fishing, and, the type of knife sheath, I don't think it takes much to lose them - a bump into a rock, a drag through some kelp, dropping it with a struggling fish, and my personal favourite - not re-engaging the sheath properly - doh:head

By the way - as a matter of interest - you really don't have to spend a fortune on overpriced purpose built knives - I know some of the older spearos used to use a kitchen devil stuck in a piece of hose pipe - may be no good for larger fish but would probably be fine for UK fishing.

Thx Panth, JT,

I many, many, many years ago lost, many, many , many knives...thus I resorted to the sharpened screwdriver-iki jime-par none, but have determined that a knife has quite a few other uses. Another thing I like about the wenoka (and a few others) is the click lock they have to secure the knife, this with a lanyard might do the trick, to loss prevention.
A short story what motivated me to get a knife...
A few days ago I went out with my 14yo son, he went down for a lobster that was in a sorta hole/ledge he unknowingly got his snorkel and arm rapped in mono, struggled, panicked, and G-d forbid may have drowned if I wouldn't have gone down and ripped that mono off him! After all was said & done I checked out a piece I still had in my hand, and for the life of me couldn't break it-adrenaline can do wonders...As a side track to the story I later talked to him about the incident, and told him panic in most situation is what will do you in, I cool head would have got him out of that situation, before he got himself more tangled...so 2 things were learned ...Him-Cool Head...Both-Get us a Knife

Agreed - a knife is a most important piece of equipment - I always carry one - even in the water:)

Reactions: Mr. X
Anyone here has a Ocean Master knife? What do you think of it for spearing?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT