• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Which of these ...Knives

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
2 Marwan.
I wear it attached to my weights belt the same way cavalrymen wear sabres. Looks very elegant.
PS Of course, I was kidding! Even if I did try to dive with it, it would have rusted to pieces long before I would have encountered a blue whale or anything else large enough in the rivers of central Russia to require such a daggar to finish it off with. rofl

Reactions: Marwan
MrX last time I checked the first prize was a icecream toaster rofl
:cool:Cool...that'll go nicely with the chocolate teapot!

As for the knive laws in the UK check out British Blades forums, its a knive making forum and as far as I know its now completely illegal to own a japanese sword in the UK unless its a original and also a collectors item and classified as such and that also sounds to be on the way out so next time leave your broadsword at home when you go to clean your fish by the pond :t

"I see a dark sail on the horizon set under a black
Cloud that hides the sun.

Bring me my broadsword and clear understanding.
Bring me my cross of gold as a talisman."
- Jethro Tull

I'm not sure if it is law yet but a week or two ago the govt. was talking of banning Japanese swords (Katanas & Tantos?) with an exemption for collectors with expensive historic weapons. Our govt. talk a lot more than they act though (except when increasing taxes & stealth taxes, & decreasing pensions) - so it may not yet be law. There have been some horrendous incidents involving Japanese swords (inspired by Kill Bill perhaps) in the UK. Another case of idiots spoiling it for everyone. A social worker/martial arts instructor friend recently told me of a sword incident quite nearby. There was also the case of a schizonphrenic attacking a nursery school with a machete -- a brave teacher managed to shield most of the kids (the teacher lived, she was on Radio 4 recently). In another recent case a escrima student (also nearby) knifed both his parents to death using the techniques he learnt. A 50 year old colleague tells me he no longer dares carry his Swiss army knife (used mainly for bottle/can opening) --which is also pretty sad. Not sure what the solution is - locking up the bad guys for a long time and not letting them out early would be a good start. We've become incredibly soft on serious crime in recent years - a "life sentence" for a 20 year old murderer is usually only 13 years now and, of course, there are all sorts of early release schemes to reduce that further (& that's only if they get caught & then charged with the full extent of their crime, & convicted).

"Bring me my bow of burning gold!
Bring me my arrows of desire!
Bring me my spear! O clouds, unfold!
Bring me my chariot of fire!
I will not cease from mental fight,
nor shall my sword sleep in my hand,
till we have built Jerusalem
In England’s green and pleasant Land. "
- Milton by William Blake / The hymn Jerusalem

Last edited:
Yea well its like that everywhere, soft penalties for serious crimes... and most of this in countries who fought horendous wars and had serious bloodshed of their fellow country men to bring them where they are today, but thats another discussion alltogether rite.
As for the guys using what they learn in martial arts class on fellow beings. Rather ban violent movies or sports not tools used for ages by responsible people. Or force people to have a liscence to be able to carry any kind of weapon, that could work.

Re. licensing - interesting idea. Very little of the gun crime in the UK is committed by firearm licence holders (although the Dumblane murderer was licenced - the police failed to revoke his licence even after complaints - as was the Hungerford massacre killer, although not for the military weapon he was using) -- most of it involves unlicenced users & unlicenced weapons.

BTW Jerusalem (above) is ironic, considering the friction between faiths in both Jerusalem and England currently (& the whole "thou shall not kill" business). Be careful what you wish for, it might come true...;)

Last edited:
The arm-mounted Omer Mini laser, handy and sharp, is great. But only IF you carry two knives, as i do for more safety.
A diveknife is not only for dispatching fish, but also to get you out of trouble in case on entanglement. Moments of panic: you get tangled, grab your knife to cut, but it drops from your hand: you're DEAD. No, wait, you're not dead: you have a second knife!
That's why I carry the Cressi Killer on the belt and the Mini Laser on the left arm.
Of course I can draw the Mini Laser only with my right hand. That's why I carry two. (What if my leg is tangled and my right hand is stuck or wounded, so that I can't grab the mini-laser?).
PARANOIAAAAAA!!!!! :mad:

I was always told that it was very important to carry a sharp knife in a handy position while breath hold diving. That way if you got caught in a net you could whip out your knife and stab yourself in the heart. A quick death, much better than drowning and much more effective than trying to cut your way out of a mono net with any diving knife I've ever seen. I think it was meant to be a joke :) but maybe not.

Yes Mr X it's me that uses the cheapo dagger style knife, in the rigid case, arm mounted.

Dave

That's a fair point, a mono net is difficult to cut, the time I had to thankfully I was near the surface so it was simple enough to get to the top to breath but it's a bastard of a job to cut, I found the serrated edge to be a lot more effective than the cutting edge which is kept razor sharp. Maybe one of those hook shaped line cutters on the right arm would be an idea spaghetti?

Don't know if this ones got a mention but it's definitely one of the coolest I've seen. Raptor Knife - Divers. About 40 euros.

Dave

Last edited:
i have a riffe knife, its a great blade but the sheath for the all black knife is cheaply made the lock on mine has busted, so i just use the lanyard to secure it

after some debate I went the cheapo route- the orange knife is what I went with (lets see how it fairs), at least I won't lose it, and the Walther knife is what my son got...both of the sheath are DIY, as well as the modifications on the grips

Attachments

• Copy of settingsteel07 002.jpg
    Copy of settingsteel07 002.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 179
  • Copy of settingsteel07 003.jpg
    Copy of settingsteel07 003.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 157
I must say, the use of a cotter pin is inspired.

When diving (SCUBA fortunately) i have had my lanyard snag on debris, so i always have a weak-link or breakaway section. This is usually a short length of monofilament attaching the lanyard, that i can break with a good pull.
But the cotter pin will hold well, will be instantly repairable (with some bending) and will pull through like the pin of a hand grenade.

That's the best tip i've read to date. I am going to put that onto my kit ASAP.

On closer inspection, the pins you use look a little too chunky to act as a breakaway.
The way i see a cotter pin being used is by having a smallish guage one through the lanyard hole of the knife and bent back around the handle. Then the lanyard can be pulled, the cotter pin will bend straight (like the pin of a grenade) and pull through.
Anyhoo you have inspired me... teamwork i guess!

Last edited:
I...i always have a weak-link or breakaway section. This is usually a short length of monofilament attaching the lanyard, that i can break with a good pull.
But the cotter pin will hold well, will be instantly repairable (with some bending) and will pull through like the pin of a hand grenade.
I use a mono lanyard. I used warm water to set 35lb mono into a spring-like coil. However it ripped through my sheath, so now I have thin bungee looped around the sheath's elastic leg bands & I attach the mono to that. It can't pull through and has shock absorbtion built in. This has worked well for more than a year.

Setting steel, as you are in Florida, you could checkout the Limpet Sheath from Rob Allen at Florida Freediver (the US importer I believe). I was always confused by the term "cotter pin" for a split-pin or R-clip in the US. A cotter pin to me is the slightly wedge shaped metal pin, with a thread at one end, used to hold pedals on bicycles -- it doesn't fit the Wikipedia description tho':
removecotterpin.jpg

Tomahawk Pedal Crank Spindle Bearing Replacement

I was always told that it was very important to carry a sharp knife in a handy position while breath hold diving. That way if you got caught in a net you could whip out your knife and stab yourself in the heart. A quick death, much better than drowning and much more effective than trying to cut your way out of a mono net with any diving knife I've ever seen. I think it was meant to be a joke :) but maybe not.

Yes Mr X it's me that uses the cheapo dagger style knife, in the rigid case, arm mounted.

Dave

Dave in a similar way I was told to carry a knife in case of sharks - so you could stab your buddy :)

No wonder I generally dive alone

Reactions: Mr. X and foxfish
Whatever your choice of knife/cutting implement, look after it as if your life depends on it, because it does! Keep it sharp, rust-free and secure. Gill-netting is still 'legal' in UK and God help anyone who gets tangled up in one, they aren't always clearly marked and more often than not set in areas where spearos might venture into. They also kill indiscriminately, unlike us; I loathe them and those who use them!

Whatever your choice of knife/cutting implement, look after it as if your life depends on it, because it does! Keep it sharp, rust-free and secure. Gill-netting is still 'legal' in UK and God help anyone who gets tangled up in one, they aren't always clearly marked and more often than not set in areas where spearos might venture into. They also kill indiscriminately, unlike us; I loathe them and those who use them!

Just cut em down! those things piss me off

was always confused by the term "cotter pin" for a split-pin or R-clip in the US. A cotter pin to me is the slightly wedge shaped metal pin, with a thread at one end, used to hold pedals on bicycles -- it doesn't fit the Wikipedia description tho':

yes indeed-I've come across the confusing before, hence the link.

I've added a new modification...velcro wraps for inner forearm application, seem like the "natural" place for me to holster it, pix to come.

thx for the input

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT