• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Which wetsuit??

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Matt Barker

Mar 15, 2012
So after my first trip out spearfishing im totally hooked (scuse the pun). Currently i have a cheap 3mm suit which was fine for initial ventures, however the good lady has agreed that if i am to do this more often then a better suit is in order. So then im opening it out to you guys to help out in your recommendations. Helpful information may be that im 6'4" 17 and a bit stone. Not too much of a gut, large shoulders and generally well built from years of rugby and cycling. Also I would not be looking to be going out over winter. Cheers for any input as im a complete novice and am looking forward to putting in the research to get a decent suit for next year :)

A very popular off the shelf suit is a Cressi technica. It's a 2 piece 5mm open cell (really warm) suit that has a camo design. The camo is a nylon (I think) outer skin that protects te soft rubber from rocks etc. I know a couple of people who are quite stocky around the shoulders etc that use them with no problem, and they are warm enough to use in winter so will definitely keep you toasty in the summer evenings.

Failing that a 3mm open cell suit with built in good and loading pad will be more than adequate. I currently use a :mm lined suit (nylon lining as apposed to open cell) for spring/summer/autumn diving and I'm happy with that. Unfortunately they don't make the suit I use any more but there are loads on the market.

Or if you want the best possible suit for you, go for a custom suit from Elios, oceanos, or another similar make. They range in price, but I've heard the oceanos suits are roughly the same price as an off the shelf 5mm suit (Cressi etc). These suits are tailored to your specific sizes so they will be the warmest, and there will be no loose/tight bits.

All I would recommend is use a popular brand (mares, marea, Elios, Polosub, beauchat, Cressi, Omer etc)

Good luck mate. Keep us posted as to what you choose

A very popular off the shelf suit is a Cressi technica. It's a 2 piece 5mm open cell (really warm) suit that has a camo design. The camo is a nylon (I think) outer skin that protects te soft rubber from rocks etc. I know a couple of people who are quite stocky around the shoulders etc that use them with no problem, and they are warm enough to use in winter so will definitely keep you toasty in the summer evenings.

Failing that a 3mm open cell suit with built in good and loading pad will be more than adequate. I currently use a :mm lined suit (nylon lining as apposed to open cell) for spring/summer/autumn diving and I'm happy with that. Unfortunately they don't make the suit I use any more but there are loads on the market.

Or if you want the best possible suit for you, go for a custom suit from Elios, oceanos, or another similar make. They range in price, but I've heard the oceanos suits are roughly the same price as an off the shelf 5mm suit (Cressi etc). These suits are tailored to your specific sizes so they will be the warmest, and there will be no loose/tight bits.

All I would recommend is use a popular brand (mares, marea, Elios, Polosub, beauchat, Cressi, Omer etc)

Good luck mate. Keep us posted as to what you choose

I agree with Matt, re the Cressi. I have owned 2 different suits(two piece, top & bottoms), one as part of a spearo starter kit, that had high waist, which in May I found a bit on the chilly side & the Cressi Tecnica which has the Long John, so the bottoms cover over the chest & shoulders, both were 5mm.

Just need to add that suits with need pads are very useful if you happen to get out in some chop over rocks as they my rip the knees otherwise.

I am sure others may pipe in with other choices they have experience with.

Happy hunting.....for suits.

Scott

Reactions: Scoobaru
I agree with Matt, re the Cressi. I have owned 2 different suits(two piece, top & bottoms), one as part of a spearo starter kit, that had high waist, which in May I found a bit on the chilly side & the Cressi Tecnica which has the Long John, so the bottoms cover over the chest & shoulders, both were 5mm.

Just need to add that suits with need pads are very useful if you happen to get out in some chop over rocks as they my rip the knees otherwise.

I am sure others may pipe in with other choices they have experience with.

Happy hunting.....for suits.

Scott

Well said Scott. Forgot about that one, have some rep buddy

Oceanos all the way. I'm of similar build to you and my suit fits like a dream. If i remember rightly you take 16 measurments, fill in the online form and a few weeks later your suit arrives in the post. Think mine was 140 pounds all in inc p+p. Had mine lined to make it harder wearing.

I got completely the wrong suit to start with, then moved to a cressi technic 5mm and have been thrilled with it. Very warm, chest pad for loading, reinforced knees and very supple. A fantastic all around suit.

Oceanos all the way. I'm of similar build to you and my suit fits like a dream. If i remember rightly you take 16 measurments, fill in the online form and a few weeks later your suit arrives in the post. Think mine was 140 pounds all in inc p+p. Had mine lined to make it harder wearing.

Hi,
I've got an Oceanos made to measure from Greece. Exactly as stated, loads of measurements, great fit, brilliant price and got matching camo socks free when delivered. Took 2-3 weeks from ordering to wearing. Not as flexible as my previous Elios but half the price and twice the service in half the time.

Tribs
Out

Just DONT use finger nails or tips when pulling on new suit! Use some sorta lube get some black witch glue !for holes.

As denian said, with open cell wetsuits you need lube to put them on. I use a mixture of hair conditioner/hand lotion mixed with water (I prefer warm water so you stay warm, works well especially in winter). Different people prefer different concentrations, I personally use 2/3 parts conditioner to 8 parts water. Mix in a bottle then squirt inside, for bottoms hold the ankles together and spray down the top, shake well then empty out of ankles, slide suit on. The the top I lay on the floor, rest the arms on the top full the bottom, then go down each arm, hold one wrist closed, tilt suit to make sure arm is lubed up, repeat for other arm, then drain out of the bottom and slide on.

Hope this helps a bit

There are some good youtube videos that show wetsuit entry (and importantly) exit including tips to avoid the nail ripping issue.

As for removal, I recommend to everyone to roll the bottom up stick your elbow in the flap then push your elbow out and upwards which Gould slide the suit over your head. Then wrap your arms around each other to pull the wrists off your arms.

Not wanting to be too controversial but before deciding on a suit you need to decide on how you will be fishing. I've got a young (ish) family and as such can rarely justify more than one 2 1/2 hour session a week and my local mark tends to be pretty baron in winter. Bearing this in mind a bought a 5mm lined suit from oceanos, not as warm as open cell but more than warm enough for my needs, harder wearing and no faffing with lube.(I'd only forget it anyway!) Buy the correct tool for the job and it will be a pleasure to use,

Reactions: Scoobaru
Great response scallywag. It's funny how people always jump to the conclusion of the most expensive suit you can afford will be the best one for the job, I myself do this from time to time also. But I think you've just provided a reality check that there are many other tools just as suitable or even more suitable for the job in hand. Some of the best spearos I know use some of the cheapest gear and are still warm and catch fish aswel. Just goes to show that having the best gear doesnt make you the best Spearo, it's more about enjoying the hobby you do and making sure you are comfortable and safe in doing so.

Cheers mate. Have some rep

Last edited:
Consider water temperature, weather, length of dive session, age, amount of bioprene (body fat).

Consider buying a made to measure suit, especially if your ratios are way off joe average.

Aqualandwetsuits, Elios, are companies that make suits that fit you and your needs. One warning, after the luxury of a tailor made suit, its likely you cannot enjoy a confection suit as much.

RE. your size & shape - I reckon you might be a bit big for off the peg wetsuits to fit well. I'd recommend that you invest your money in ensuring a good fit (i.e. get it made for your measurements by Eliossub in Italy or the Greek company that is a little cheaper - I forget the name), rather than wasting money on fancy stiff neoprened designed for SCUBA divers spending long times at depth, or fancy linings/coatings. 5mm black, nylon outer, open-cell inner spearo wetsuit with hood & loading pad, high-waist spearo pants (trousers). From Elios, the Ecoline neoprene fits the bill. A good fit will help keep you warm.

Anything else is unnecessary IMHO. However, if you have cash to splash, then consider camo (can look a prune on land & black is kind of camo anyway - but it's fun), knee pads (not really necessary with nylon outer but if you like climbing on boats or are generally clumsy/"heavy handed" might be worth considering). Longjohn pants - good for kayaking & warmer - but a new 5mm tailored made suit can be very warm even in November (do you tend to feel the cold? Do you come from a warmer climate? do you have very low body fat?). You can overheat.

If you do get a tailor made suit, read the maker's measuring instructions carefully & then follow them. I would also suggest:
1. take all required measurements *at least* 3x (& get somebody else to do it & record them)
2. take measurements on different days & at different temperatures if pos.
3. take measurements on both sides of your body (one of my calves is 1" thicker than the other).
4. discard any way out measurements and average the rest
5. allow a little extra space around the throat to avoid triggering choking reflex (I would add 1.5-2cm).
6. chest measurement should be taken under the lats.

It is worth making a real effort to get this bit right. Don't rush it. You can relax later, once the order is in ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: winky
I got completely the wrong suit to start with, then moved to a cress technical 5mm and have been thrilled with it. Very warm, chest pad for loading, reinforced knees and very supple. Discard any way out measurements and average the rest.

I too am on the quest of purchasing a new wetsuit as the one I have has done me well but not great for the hobby and a pain to get on.

I have decided to go for 7mm as I intend to go out in winter and don't wish to be too cold. The average temperature of my outings are likely to be between +16 and -5 degrees centigrade (air temperature without windchill).

The Cressi Camaleonte, Tecnica and the Apnea 2 piece wetsuits have "high waist" trousers according to cressi.com and they offer slightly different advantages.

The Camaleonte is 5mm trousers and 7mm top and comes in a great cammo but for a higher price than the Apnea, which comes in full 5mm or full 7mm and is solid black/grey in colour.
The Tecnica has full 7mm with great knee and elbow protection along with super cammo, but the places selling it say it has "long john" trousers, and cressi.com say it has waist high trousers? Does anyone own one to shed light on this? :confused:

The mares Instinct has 5mm trousers and 7mm top and looks just the part too.

Tempting to go for the thinner trousers/thicker top, but I fear my legs will turn in to icy twigs and my feet will drop off :hmm

After spending much time looking, I have found that the basics of the suits seem to be more robust looking on the long john 2-part suits than the high waist, certainly for the lower budget of less than £170 (pounds sterling)

I had a look at the Oceanos but in 7mm it would come to £199-27, and for 5mm it would be £155-55. Although very cheap for made to measure, it would mean going over budget when taking my other kit in to account.

There are loads of suits for a budget of around £150 and I hope that I have found one for myself.

:wave If anyone has some words of warning/advice about Cressi wetsuits, please let me know very soon :)

(Looking forward very much to getting some proper kit for the hobby)

Last edited:
I too am on the quest of purchasing a new wetsuit as the one I have has done me well but not great for the hobby and a pain to get on.

I have decided to go for 7mm as I intend to go out in winter and don't wish to be too cold. The average temperature of my outings are likely to be between +16 and -5 degrees centigrade (air temperature without windchill).

The Cressi Camaleonte, Tecnica and the Apnea 2 piece wetsuits have "high waist" trousers according to cressi.com and they offer slightly different advantages.

The Camaleonte is 5mm trousers and 7mm top and comes in a great cammo but for a higher price than the Apnea, which comes in full 5mm or full 7mm and is solid black/grey in colour.
The Tecnica has full 7mm with great knee and elbow protection along with super cammo, but the places selling it say it has "long john" trousers, and cressi.com say it has waist high trousers? Does anyone own one to shed light on this? :confused:

The mares Instinct has 5mm trousers and 7mm top and looks just the part too.

Tempting to go for the thinner trousers/thicker top, but I fear my legs will turn in to icy twigs and my feet will drop off :hmm

After spending much time looking, I have found that the basics of the suits seem to be more robust looking on the long john 2-part suits than the high waist, certainly for the lower budget of less than £170 (pounds sterling)

I had a look at the Oceanos but in 7mm it would come to £199-27, and for 5mm it would be £155-55. Although very cheap for made to measure, it would mean going over budget when taking my other kit in to account.

There are loads of suits for a budget of around £150 and I hope that I have found one for myself.

:wave If anyone has some words of warning/advice about Cressi wetsuits, please let me know very soon :)

(Looking forward very much to getting some proper kit for the hobby)

The only comment I can make is when comparing my 5mm Apnea make, high waist to my Cressi(Tecnica) Long John 5mm; & the Cressi seems far warmer. Maybe this is because of the Long John, whereby the torso is covered as opposed to above the 'belly' with high waist. I also found that the high waist slipped down a little, maybe because of my then 'portly belly'.

I have said before that knee pads are a good idea as will protect the knees from any sharp objects/rocks. I have had some dodgy exits in the past where there have been rocks & I am sure I would have ripped them if I hadn't pad for the knees.

If you are going out over the winter, then maybe the 7mm will be a good idea, but I cannot offer any advice on that.

Going by your location, maybe ask some of your Scottish compatriots on what they use for the conditions & temp.

Cheers Scott

Thank you for the information :)

The Apnea I mentioned is the Cressi Apnea suit. I have some knee pads that I got for conyoning, they are very comfy and are designed for skateboarding; only cost £15 (pounds sterling) from a Sports Direct store, and they came with elbow pads and wrist guards, great to put on with velcro tightners and elasticated main stabilisation.
I'm currently making some ankle weights and a bag to fasten to the float (the float I'm yet to buy).

I'll post information on the wetsuit I finalise on purchase, and give some ratings on it when it arrives.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT