• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Which wetsuit??

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I have put information on a new thread and will update it in due time.

:)

The thread is "New kit" if you click on my user name and look for my post you will find it.

Sorry I can't copy and paste the link from my current internet device. :(

The Cressi Camaleonte, Tecnica and the Apnea 2 piece wetsuits have "high waist" trousers according to cressi.com and they offer slightly different advantages.

Does anyone own one to shed light on this? :confused:

Hi, The Tecnica when purchased as a set (top and bottoms) comes with a Long John

If you order the bottoms on their own then you get "trousers"

regards,

anthony

Is it only me who uses their surfing wetsuit? Are there any disadvantages to using this vs a a specific spearfishing/apnea suit?

Is it only me who uses their surfing wetsuit? Are there any disadvantages to using this vs a a specific spearfishing/apnea suit?

I started out with a surfing suit an was very happy with it. But then when I started diving later in the year and it got colder I occasionally found I was getting cold, whereas my friends with Spearo suits wernt so I bit the bullet and bought a Spearo suit and never looked back since (even in water temps around the 1-2 degree c mark, outside temp -5c). Also the loading pad is helpful especially when using long/high powered guns an the hood is fully sealed and a lot warmer than any hood worn seperately.

Last edited:
Hi, The Tecnica when purchased as a set (top and bottoms) comes with a Long John

If you order the bottoms on their own then you get "trousers"

regards,

anthony

Hi Anthony, getting confused here (easily done) about whats what with regarding bottoms. I would like to continue buying from you guys as you have been really helpful when i got my first speargun as well as some other items and personally value good customer service.

Im looking at the Technica as probably my first choice off the peg suit now, probably this 7mm one.
Cressi Tecnica Suit 7mm Wetsuit - Spearfishing Wetsuits - Spearfishingstore.co.uk

Or maybe the 5mm if its better for UK water
Cressi Tecnica Suit 5mm Wetsuit - Spearfishing Wetsuits - Spearfishingstore.co.uk

In the 5mm one the bottoms are pictured on their own and come up over the shoulders, is this whats known as a long john style for wetsuits? also do you get the same bottoms with the 7mm suit?

I presume "trousers" just come up to the waist.

Thanks for helping out a complete beginner.

Matt

At last got the funds together and ordered the Technica 5mm. Many thanks to Anthony from Spearfishingstore Spearfishingstore.co.uk | Spearguns | Wetsuits | Fins & More
Their help through the forum, via e mail and over the phone was brilliant. First class service throughout. Ordered on a Thursday afternoon and delivered by Monday morning as well, first rate :D

Suit fits really well too which is always a bonus, down side is the wife took one look at me and declared that I looked like a lizard gimp. Ah well cant win them all.

Just need to escape land locked Leicester and get it properly wet..

I have a MARES Instinct Camo, open cell. 5mm trousers, 7mm jacket; to be onest I was expecting a warmer wetsuit. I am getting very cold after 2h when I am fishing in shallow water and not moving too much. However It is my first experiece with a open cell so I can not compare with other wetsuit.
Cheers
Marco

I have a MARES Instinct Camo, open cell. 5mm trousers, 7mm jacket; to be onest I was expecting a warmer wetsuit. I am getting very cold after 2h when I am fishing in shallow water and not moving too much. However It is my first experiece with a open cell so I can not compare with other wetsuit.
Cheers
Marco
And what is water temp down there ? :)

And what is water temp down there ? :)

Sorry I don't know the water temperature.
The last time that I went fishing in Dorset was December last year and I was feeling pretty cold. in Summer time in UK this wetsuit is fine for me. I am using this wetsuit with no problem at all when I am fishing in Sardegna during Winter, in Summer I use a 3,5 mm. :)

Marco

I have a 7mm Cressi Tchnica. Nice and warm but manoverability is a bit crap coz its so thick . I would like a 3mm too when I get the funds.

does anyone have any feedback regarding mares open cell suits regarding comfort and flexibility?? i had in mind the pure instinct camo brown 3mm???

thanks

does anyone have any feedback regarding mares open cell suits regarding comfort and flexibility?? i had in mind the pure instinct camo brown 3mm???

thanks

I have an instinct 5.5 suit - not quite as supple as the Yamamoto suits (like elios) or the more expensive Cressi, but definitely more supple than the basic Cressi suit which it competes with. Nice and warm suit although the build quality can be a bit off - the screws fell out of the plastic crotch grommet beavertail fixing fairly quickly and I had to replace them.

Not quite as nice as a decent polo sub or elios, or mid/top range Cressi.

Reactions: Mr. X and scallywag
thanks, i will go for it because it does seem like a good suit. I have a 7mm cressi competition which i use in winter, its great for keeping me warm but its quite rugged and not flexible since its a closed cell one.

I have an Apnea legend 5mm smooth skined in side/ camo outer its my first spearing suite its fantastic and at around 140 pounds you cant go wrong .The top end stuff now must be so flexible and so good. A polo sub may be next one but with this one being so good why change makes .Ive been in the sea last week in 5 oc water and poped a summer shorty over the top and it was good for a couple of hours.It all depends on funds if you can have 2 or 3 suites it woild be ideal.in mid summer i cook in this and have hood down no gloves and flush it out with cool water.

Consider water temperature, weather, length of dive session, age, amount of bioprene (body fat)...

"Bioprene", that's great... :D

Seems like good advice. I'm learning like many of us... most of my experience is with gear from other pursuits, but maybe some common rules of thumb.

Fit/construction: like shoes, depends on the size/volume of your foot... performance demands (loads carried, water exposure, etc). Brands that work well for one guy 5' 10", 160#, might not work for another 5' 10", 160# unless build/proportions same.

One aspect of construction hard to predict is freedom of movement related to different materials used in wetsuit flex areas. The O'Neill I tried on recently fit well, but the Aqualung not only fit well, but offered noticeably improved shoulder freedom of motion. Pretty subjective maybe, but excess effort seems would work against you ... at least for longer, tougher conditions.

Thermal barrier: depends on water temp and duration of exposure, right? A 3mm suit is overkill for some reef diving in Hawaii maybe, while 5mm needed for longer, deeper or winter/spring dives?

Very helpful thread. Thanks to Matt Barker for getting the discussion going.

...I also found that the high waist slipped down a little, maybe because of my then 'portly belly'.
Cheers Scott

I'm buying my first 2 piece suit and also have a "portly belly". Should I get the long john pants?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT