• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Yoga, scientific research and stopping the heart

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I was to state what type of religion I was I would probably say Christian. At one time I took several Christian study classes, and had 80 verses memorized. The major dislike I had for Christianity wasn’t the religion, but the attitude of some of the people. This attitude was a constant judging of others and even if you were a die hard Christian, then there was the judging of your relationship with the Lord verses others. Granted these were some of the people and usually not the word being preached from the pulpit, but it still served to dimension my desire to attend church. Then came freediving and to tell you the truth, I found with my schedule a real dislike to sit it church and sit and listen to some pastor who is really into himself preach for more than ½ of a day of the only two days I have off per week. My desire to attend church really waned. Not that all pastors have an ego problem, but it sure seems like the majority really get into the excitement of many people listening to them for 1 ½ hours.

I have seen the popular Christian video tape and even been to seminars on the dangers of Yoga and how the more you get into it the more religious it becomes. The very basic premise from the Christian point of view is eastern religions preach a person is truly good inside of them and if they reach that inter place their lives will be at peace, where Christian says we are born sinners and only through the Lord we can become good and find peace. I’m still not sure which is right and which is wrong, or maybe neither should be classified as completely wrong.

A few things I have found though are that as an active person ages stretching and mental relaxation is essential for performance and yoga does this more than anything I have tried. In college, many years ago, I took four yoga classes because of various physical aliments, but it wasn’t until I became involved in freediving and with a pulse/oximeter in dry statics could I really realized the true benefits.

Then came Adrian who really broke a stereo type for me. Up until then the majority of the people I meet who were into Yoga were introverts. In college I associated with no-one from the classes. But I found that Adrian, who is a yoga master, was very outgoing and had inter peace and pleasant calm and truthful outlook I had never experienced before. He truly was the kind of person you are blessed to be around. I hate to say this but it was more pleasant to be around Adrian than any Christian I have every meet, and have and associated with many.

Now I do Yoga almost everyday and if I am unable to do it, I don’t feel good the rest of the day. From my pulse/oximeter records I can verify it really works.
don

Last edited:
In my humble, but not-altogether-non-contentious opinion the issue is mistaking belief for faith. Put another way - it is an indulgence in gratifying the need for certitude - aka - inability to live with the question. Which is why there is so much aggression in it. (ie - it must 'go out' in order to avoid 'going in')

It is a HUGE problem with humanity.

donmoore said:
The major dislike I had for Christianity wasn’t the religion, but the attitude of some of the people. This attitude was a constant judging of others and even if you were a die hard Christian, then there was the judging of your relationship with the Lord verses others.

Man, that is so sad. My experience of Christianity is that it should be about not judging. I'm a Christian and I don't always do the right thing. No-one does! If a person believes in God, they probably recognise that He gives us a freedom to make our own choices and live our own lives. I'll talk to anyone about my faith, but I know that ramming it down peoples throats is no way to make them listen.

Sorry, I know I may get flamed for posting here as it's a bit off-topic...

Shaca - add him to your ignore list! it works!

You can ignore me but you can't not hide from a truth

There is a reason for living - not only for doing freediving

There is a porpuse why we are here

and there is a Salvation

Europa have gone so far with all this oriental practicing and all kind of things but not the right -which is the word of God- (y eso constrista mi corazon )

this is the time to wake up people- es el tiempo de despertar-

Maybe you think Im ofending you - but is better to ofend you with a truth than to tell you a lie-

Im not the kind of person you think I Im - if you see me in person one day you will realize it ...

Mi corazon se constrista cuando veo a alguien perdido y sin desear de ser ayudado - me constrista eso pues se que seguira tropesando con piedras aun mas grandes - y la caida puede ser mas fuerte despues -

I which I can speak more ingles and to talk to you what I really mean with all this--

Cornholio said:
Man, that is so sad. My experience of Christianity is that it should be about not judging.
Sorry, I know I may get flamed for posting here as it's a bit off-topic...

No flames I think amigo... you're feelings are valid. But don't grieve too long; we all find our own way eventually. All religions have beauty if one looks, all have ugliness, which is obvious if we turn on the TV any day.

Unfortunately the negative gets the attention and makes the most noise, which can turn people away from anything that is beautiful at the heart.

Peace my friends,
Erik Y.

But I found that Adrian, who is a yoga master, was very outgoing and had inter peace and pleasant calm and truthful outlook I had never experienced before. He truly was the kind of person you are blessed to be around. I hate to say this but it was more pleasant to be around Adrian than any Christian I have every meet

Tha't bad felow-you where walking right- why do you put your truht in man instead of God?

Man, that is so sad. My experience of Christianity is that it should be about not judging. I'm a Christian and I don't always do the right thing.
_________

Friend -why do you way so far in this web-to Speak up and say that you are Cristian?

Tuve que ser yo la obeja que paga el precio-

Had to be me - that one that pay the price?

Last edited:
Unfortunately the negative gets the attention and makes the most noise, which can turn people away from anything that is beautiful at the heart.

The Trompet make a sound too- and the sound can make us to wake up

Im not think I say something negative- I spoke direct--And still have tremendous love for all of you -

Last edited:
think he should go to the shaolin temple and tell them to stop what they are doing.

He'll get an iron claw shoved down his throat and a sandal rammed up his gary.

Read the bible then PAYASO!!!!!

Shaneshac Shaneshac... yo nunca me dedice a ver munequitos en cuba- nunca me gustaron las peliculas de ciencia ficcion - mejor aprendi a ser realista vivia mas bien la entre la realidad de el mar y la pesca submarina - y te perdondo por lo de payaso - ojala tenga algo de gracia para hacerte reir- o provocar con mi gracia un cambio en ti -

Last edited:
Tu eres tonto o fumas hachis de la mala.

En serio, ve a que te vea un psiquiatra que no estas bueno de la cabeza.

Dejanos ya en paz.

Dentro de 20 años te daras cuenta que te has pasado la vida haciendote pajas y no habras conseguido ni que una persona sea mas religiosa de lo que era antes de hablar con tigo.

Si tanto crees que el cielo es mejor que la tierra, que haces aqui???

Neshamah, en este forum quiero apreneder como mejorar mis apneas o como arponear un dentex a 25m, lo de mas me importa un pimiento, con respeto.

Reactions: shaneshac
Tu eres tonto o fumas hachis de la mala.

En serio, ve a que te vea un psiquiatra que no estas bueno de la cabeza.

Dejanos ya en paz.

Dentro de 20 años te daras cuenta que te has pasado la vida haciendote pajas y no habras conseguido ni que una persona sea mas religiosa de lo que era antes de hablar con tigo.

Si tanto crees que el cielo es mejor que la tierra, que haces aqui???

Bueno soy un tonto para algunos -pero astuto ----creo que un loco por las cosas de Dios es un buen loco - y que razona

ya han pasado 15 anos desde que conoci lo que Creo - y he visto muchas personas ser cambiadas y ese es mi mayor gozo que nada ha sido en vano-
y que no hay otro poder mas grande en la tierra que el poder transformador de la palabra divina

En estos quinces anos he podido testificarles a muchos por la gracia de Dios -gentes de muchas naciones - a pobres -dogradictos -freedivers y hasta famosos de la farandulas Como tito puente o Antonio Bandera-y solo he hecho lo que tenia que hacer y es servir--

y se que en los proximos 20 anos sera mucho mejor - y de nada tengo que ser avergonzado con tal de que Dios sea glorificado en mi en vida o para muerte -

I would lock this thread.... but as i;m laughing my ass off reading it It may as well be left to fester a little longer.

recent events in context it seems we could all use a good laugh :D

Neshamah, en este forum quiero apreneder como mejorar mis apneas o como arponear un dentex a 25m, lo de mas me importa un pimiento, con respeto.

Yes -- we are going to continuo with that friend---we are going to keep learning new tecniques of how to freedive or spear a fish-

But first we have to learn how to be save -and be a fisher of man

I would lock this thread.... but as i;m laughing off reading it It may as well be left to fester a little longer.

Im laughing too... don't take to serious- about me

But wake up

Saludos

Daniel,

you are one of those whackos that stands on a beer crate in the middle of the main street and starts reciting the bible.

How many times have you read it?

Did you know jesus was married? Dan Brown told me. :D

What is claimed without evidence can be denied without evidence.

Neshamah you should learn that many people don't believe in god and that they are very happy with it. They would not change their mind just like you will never change yours. Men like you have created the idea of god.
Please wake up on that.

Don, you got me blushing! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I don't want to have people think I'm a yoga master, - that's a very strong word, reserved for true masters :) I meditate and have been teaching meditation for many years, yet I do not consider my self perfect or anything like that at all! Just a little ant on the way, ocasionally enjoying a blessed ray of light.

The Bible talks of enlightenment just as much as any other oriental spiritual book does, it's all there and doesn't need to be rejected. No religion needs to be rejected, just the people who use religion to control, bomb, or brainwash others.

It's a book that can be read so many different ways that a 1000 different Christian sects have sprung up over their founders different interpretations, and each one claims to have the truth...

If God is omnipresent, you should be able to find Him inside as well. Yoga teaches you to go inside, so guess what one finds there? Peace Daniel, and if you have the desire, God as well.

Is your God different from mine? I doubt it.

Adrian

Reactions: DeepThought and mia
I was questioned once when I was reading a Buddist book, "how could I read a book like that because it was against my religion" (me not being a Buddist, but a Christian). I replied because it was introducing me to beautiful writings and principles that I could adopt that would enhance the understanding of my interested mind, enrich my faith, even modify my behaviour. Its like Christianity had been a foundation, but I could build towers, spires and uplifting edifices upon that foundation.

There are many lovely principles in this life that most of us simply never get introduced to, Yoga is certainly one of those (at least for westerners) and if by practising Yoga we develop a sense of spirituality, I am sure for a Christian it is perfectly acceptable. What about Meditation? Not really a Christian principle but certainly a valued practice among many freedivers. Freedivers are a unique breed, our sport allows us to develop in soft and gentle ways, we commune with nature and are better for it. We are perhaps a little more in tune, more at ease, we are a peaceful people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT