• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

You can make gumbo out of anything!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Oldsarge

Deeper Blue Budget Bwana
Jan 13, 2004
Given all the activity on the threads discussing both the Chinese Mitten Crabs and the alien North American Crawfish, it occurs to me that should someone in the British Isles find themselves with a larder full of alien "pests" there ought to be a general idea as to what to do with them. The introduced "game" species like pheasant, fallow deer, etc. are no problem. Myriad books give excellent recipes for those. Canada geese and ruddy duck are equally easy to deal with. Any recipe for Greylag or pinkfoot, teal or mallard will do. The real question is whatinhell to do with a mess of squirrel and a bucketful of invading crustaceans! The answer is simple: gumbo!

What is a gumbo? It's a thick soup, usually served over steamed rice, that originated among the Cajun population of Louisiana's delta. The Creole also have their version, a bit less fiery and a bit more subtle. The Cajun version is easier.

Begin by figuring about 1/3 lb of meat and shellfish per person. Take the meat (nutria, grey squirrel, guinea fowl, bunny rabbit, muntjac, whatever), cover it with water and bring to a boil. Simmer until the meat separates easily from the bone, then let cool. Remove carcases and reserve the meat after chopping it up. Save the stock!

Begin with a roux. Take equal amounts of flour and oil. Heat the oil and sprinkle in the flour. Stir over low/medium heat constantly for rather a while. Eventually the roux will turn the color of a Kraft paper bag, peanut butter or even milk chocolate. The add a 1/2 cup each of chopped onion, chopped celery (or Swiss Chard stems!) and bell pepper (either green or red). Continue stirring until the onions are transluscent and soft. Add the stock. No, I'm not going to say how much because I don't know whether you're feeding just your significant other or the entire neighborhood. Either is possible. Just add stock until the roux is liquid instead of paste. Now you can get creative. Want to add a bottle of lager? Go ahead. Red wine? Sure! What about vegetables? What do you like? I've never made a gumbo that had broccoli in it but why not? Okra is traditional. Carrots are good. Chopped tomatoes never hurt anything. Greens work, too. Finally add the meat and let it simmer for at least an hour. Two is better. So's four! About 10-15 minutes before serving, throw in all the shellfish and let them cook until they're good and red. Grab a bottle of Tabasco or some lesser pepper sauce and season to taste with it and salt and pepper. Ladle over the rice and serve with a big salad and lots of beer. Finish off with ice cream. The next time it will taste different because it's hard to make the same gumbo twice. So? They're all good. Enjoy. Let the good times roll!

Sarge,

My aunt's ex-husband - a creole man - used to make gumbo all the time, and it was absolutely fantastic. I have no clue what the recipe consisted in, but he put king crab legs, andouille sausage (probably from a deli, this stuff was awesomely spicy and delicious) and either shrimp or crawfish tails in it, and my oh my, I could eat bowl after bowl of that stuff. My conclusion: they should have thought about their nephew's palate and gone to couple's therapy! Sadly, I don't think I'll be tracking him down for the recipe any time soon.

nice one Sarge! i love gumbo... mmmmmm
will definitely give that one a bash. :)

Sarge, Okra gets very slimey after a while cooking (we eat it en mas here) so how long should it be cooked? untill slimey or crunchy? you write that it should cook for hours , is that with okra if so question answered.

Thanks
Peter.

Last edited:
Okra goes through three stages in cooking: crunchy, slimey, gone! In gumbo the idea is to take it to the "gone" stage where it actually acts as a thickener. You can adjust the consistancy just before serving with hot water ( or more beer!). If you use courgettes (zuccini squash for Americans and Italians), I'd put them in with the shellfish.

Home made soup is a popular dish here. Can't wait to try it Old Sarge! I have had some good canteen gumbos but somehow failed to try the real thing while down in N'Orl'ns:duh. :hmm -- starting get a good education in Southern cooking, thanks!:t Can you explain some of the terminology:

Jambalaya, Creole, Cajun

I used to watch the Cajun Cook on TV -- great viewing. The common theme seemed to be lots of cayenne pepper and then some more...and some more and another handful and then some more! :D

Last edited:
Reactions: naiad
So you can make gumbo out of anything? Anything?

Anyone care to try my carp and squirrel gumbo?

Reactions: Mr. X
naiad said:
Anyone care to try my carp and squirrel gumbo?
Sounds yummy:t! Hang on, Carp...you mean like Goldfish?! (I heard carp - big ones -- are a popular Christmas dish in Poland. You can keep them alive in your bath for extra freshness I am told!... Perhaps you could take it to the pool with you?).

Oldsarge said:
If you use courgettes (zuccini squash for Americans and Italians)...
"Courgettes" is in common use in the UK, a traditionalist might call them baby marrows. A full grown marrow might also work in the recipe (like mutton, which Prince Charles is currently trying to revive, marrows seem unfashionable these days -- but still taste good).

:hmmWonder if it would taste good with Munkjack Deer (Chinese Water Deer) ... I saw one while out mountain biking last year -- there was a fox nearby though. Do they still have wild wallabies at the Roaches in Staffordshire? There are a few mink about too. Of course wild boar have been released/escaped in Devon & the Forest of Dean recently...

Last edited:
Pshaw, Naiad, you ought to try my Looney Tunes Gumbo made from jackrabbit, wild pig, duck, coyote, road runner and old Leghorn rooster with just a touch of chicken hawk. :D

Th-th-th-that's all, folks!

Reactions: DeepThought
X,
Jambalaya: Louisiana rice and seafood dish. Think high octane paella.

Creole: Mixed race (French, African, American Indian, ????, etc) mostly urban population. The most beautiful women in America and can they cook!

Cajun: "Acadian" that is to say French settlers from Nova Scotia and surrounding areas who were displaced by the British when they took over Canada. These are mostly rural folk and their cuisine is strictly country. Great stuff!

Reactions: jimdoe2you
Best served with chocolate dipping sauce?
:naughty :chatup :inlove :ban

Mr. X said:
Hang on, Carp...you mean like Goldfish?! (I heard carp - big ones -- are a popular Christmas dish in Poland. You can keep them alive in your bath for extra freshness I am told!... Perhaps you could take it to the pool with you?).
I wouldn't eat it if I took it to the pool with me, as then it would qualify as a pet! ;)

Carp are a good way of getting rid of garden pests. I once knew someone who had a pet carp called Hoover. When there were insects eating the plants in the garden, she would throw them in the pond. A mouth appeared on the surface and there was a sucking noise as the insect disappeared.

More about carp and food...
http://forums.deeperblue.net/532923-post19.html

If it's not good enough for gumbo, the carp will eat it!

Oldsarge said:
Pshaw, Naiad, you ought to try my Looney Tunes Gumbo made from jackrabbit, wild pig, duck, coyote, road runner and old Leghorn rooster with just a touch of chicken hawk. :D

Th-th-th-that's all, folks!
What time o' year you prefer collecting your martians?

Marvin-the-Martian-Poster-C10020588.jpeg

Reactions: Oldsarge
We have to admire Oldsarge. Not only is he a dynamic and intuitive chef, but he helps to keep the feral (place name of any conceivable animal here) population in check!

rofl rofl rofl

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT